GRE instead of MCAT for SMP programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mspickle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For SMP programs - I know both the MCAT and GRE are accepted for most programs, but are applicants that have taken the MCAT preferred over those that have just taken the GRE? Or are there a good mix of both accepted into the programs? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

For SMP programs - I know both the MCAT and GRE are accepted for most programs, but are applicants that have taken the MCAT preferred over those that have just taken the GRE? Or are there a good mix of both accepted into the programs? Thanks!

If you're looking for a specialized program that will bend over backwards to get you into med school, they are more likely to accept the MCAT, most of the specialized programs require it. I'm a Loyola MAMS student (1 year Masters), and they require an MCAT of at least 25, I believe. If you take the GRE, you're just going to have to take the MCAT for med school admissions anyways, so I wouldn't waste your time unless you've found a program you're dying to go to that only takes GRE... which would be a program less tailored toward medical school anyways...

take the mcat now, its one less thing you have to worry about. there is no time to study for it while enrolled in an smp. if you take it after completing the smp, your app will be considered somewhat late, cause its gonna take some time to study and there is the wait for your score to come out making you a late applicant.

good points -- thanks for the advice. I better get cracking on my mcat studying...