GRE question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmma277

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am a graduate of UK and have finished my pre-requisite classes (Physics II, Chemistry II lab, and Biology II with a lab) relieving A’s and B’s. I am about to take the GRE and have really low confidence on getting a good score on test since I am not good at taking standardize test. My question is if my science GPA is good the school I am interested in but I score low on the GRE, would I still have a decent chance of getting an interview or no? If anyone has ever had luck with getting into a school with a low GRE can you please tell me? thank you and I hope everyone is doing well during this pandemic.
** Please only Physical therapist, physical therapy students or pre-physical therapy students respond to this post. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Your extracurriculars/volunteer work/research are a big contributor to an admissions decision. Not saying any of these factors can offset a super low GRE, but it definitely helps. The standard is usually obtaining 150 on both sections and your experience can get you accepted. Be confident when taking the GRE and state in your app that you struggle with standardized testing. They have to know what sets you apart from the rest of their applicants with what you’ve witnessed and learned leading up to the application submission!

Hi everyone,

I am a graduate of UK and have finished my pre-requisite classes (Physics II, Chemistry II lab, and Biology II with a lab) relieving A’s and B’s. I am about to take the GRE and have really low confidence on getting a good score on test since I am not good at taking standardize test. My question is if my science GPA is good the school I am interested in but I score low on the GRE, would I still have a decent chance of getting an interview or no? If anyone has ever had luck with getting into a school with a low GRE can you please tell me? thank you and I hope everyone is doing well during this pandemic.
** Please only Physical therapist, physical therapy students or pre-physical therapy students respond to this post. Thank you.
My cumulative GRE was low, 295, but I got accepted since my school's minimal requirement was 294. If you meet the minimal requirement, you have a chance to get an interview. If you apply to highly competitive schools (usually cheapest state schools that accept 30-ish students a year), you will have a low chance to get accepted since their students' GREs are usually high. Contact schools where you are applying and check with their average GRE for students who got accepted during the last couple of cycles to get a better idea about your chances. Also consider schools that do not require GRE.
I also have to completely disagree with the post above regarding extra curriculum. Many students (including myself) get accepted with zero extra curriculum. Observation hours/"volunteering" in various PT settings are pretty important, but other volunteer/research work is not necessary at all.