GRE score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jenn1015

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I took the GRE yesterday and scored an 1170- 670q, 500v.

I was aiming for a 1200-something, but oh well. I thought I was completely bombing the quant, and that the verbal was super easy, so what do I know.. haha

My advisor suggested I retake it to up the verbal score. The thing is this: I learned legit around 600 words for this exam, and NONE of them were on it. I learned the "tricks" from the books I had bought, and even my practice test scores were around 500. Maybe that score really is an accurate reflection of my abilities. Truth be told, if I were to take it again, 1) I don't think I'd do much better and 2) I don't even know what else to study/learn at this point.

Time is running out and I have a lot on my plate with applications: I haven't e-mailed my POIs yet, or even started a personal statement. I'm presenting 2 posters at ABCT in Nov, which I obviously need to prepare for, and with my jobs and RA positions I was REALLY looking forward to the GREs being done so that I can focus on all of that. Plus, I have a Nov 15 deadline.

Thoughts??

Members don't see this ad.

Don't retake. Unless you can put in a LOT of work towards improving it, it likely wouldn't significantly change. Also, if that score matches up well with your practice exams, then doing a retake would likely end up the same way. Your score is lower than the mean, but it's only one (45 minute?) portion of one test. Taking it again and getting a similar score I think would seem to confirm whatever validity is there.

Further, verbal performance is less readily improved than quant. The skills are much more specific in quant than within verbal, and can be developed and improved in a shorter period of time.

If I were in your position, I would not retake for these reasons. Plus I wouldn't want to give evil ETS any more money and further contribute to the stranglehold they have on American education.

i wouldn't retake it bc if you make the same score again it will just show that it is an accurate reflection of your verbal abilities....and it sounds like you have a lot of other things going on... so you might not be able to give it enough "study time"...but if you do decide to retake it praying to st. joseph cupertino helps :)