GRE scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chameleonchick

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So nervous about this test. What is a decent score to get on the GRE to apply to these programs?

Members don't see this ad.

It depends which program you're applying to. Check the program websites, they usually have minimum scores for admission. Also remember, if your scores are less than ideal...it's only part of the application. Mine weren't as high as I would have liked, but they weren't the only determining factor. My personal recommendation (others may disagree) is to take it without studying books, only after doing several practice exams from the ETS powerprep. If you do well, that's great. If you don't, you will know what the test is like and know what you need to study better. Some will even argue that studying the content doesn't help nearly as much as being quick...I tend to agree.

Depends on the program. I'd aim for 75th+ percentile in all 3 sections.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't be too nervous. It's not really that hard, but do brush up on the test topics. And mph programs generally only care that your above 50th percentile.

Don't be too nervous. It's not really that hard, but do brush up on the test topics

So it looks like I will be taking this test again.....I really did not want to go through that again.

So it looks like I will be taking this test again.....I really did not want to go through that again.

What did you do to practice?

I've been retaking the practice tests (Manhattan) over and over because the way of solving these problems is different than your typical ACT/SAT test. It seems to have increased my score on the practice tests, but I'm not sure how well that will translate to the actual GRE.

I used Kaplan and Princeton Review Practice tests. I don't know what I need to do to change my study plan. I scored higher on the practice tests than I did on the actual GRE.

How important is analytic writing for MPH admissions?

Not that important compared with the Q and V section. The ad coms will see how effective your writing really is in your personal statement.

Not that important compared with the Q and V section. The ad coms will see how effective your writing really is in your personal statement.

I thought it was the other way around? Grad schools use GRE writing sections to really see how well the applicants can write, since everyone probably spends more than a week or so on their personal statements, and they probably get other people to edit it.

But I agree, I don't think they consider it as important as the Q/V sections.

I thought it was the other way around? Grad schools use GRE writing sections to really see how well the applicants can write, since everyone probably spends more than a week or so on their personal statements, and they probably get other people to edit it.

But I agree, I don't think they consider it as important as the Q/V sections.

The consensus from adcoms is that GRE writing matters significantly less than Q/V, to the point where I don't think it even comes into consideration. There are many M.S. students at Hopkins that bombed their writing (think 3.0 and down) and were admitted. As others have stated, your essay is a demonstrably better indicator of writing ability.

The consensus from adcoms is that GRE writing matters significantly less than Q/V, to the point where I don't think it even comes into consideration. There are many M.S. students at Hopkins that bombed their writing (think 3.0 and down) and were admitted. As others have stated, your essay is a demonstrably better indicator of writing ability.

Awesome, good to know this ahead of time! Now I can put more focus on the Q/V sections :)

I bombed the writing section, 3, and got in to all the schools I applied to. I made up for it by having a beautiful personal statement that reflected my true writing skills.

I scored higher on the practice tests than I did on the actual GRE.
9.jpg

I think that's always the case. I've never heard of anyone scoring higher on the actual GRE.

I think that's always the case. I've never heard of anyone scoring higher on the actual GRE.

I've heard of people scoring higher on the actual test, but they took the Manhattan practice tests for preparation. Not sure if that makes a difference?

Yeah i heard the Manhattan practice tests are the ones that prepare you better than some of the other ones. I personally never did the Manhattan practice tests because i didnt hear of it until a few days before my gre. I only practiced with Princeton, and I scored higher on the practice test than the actual test because some of the questions were easier on the practice as compare to the actual test.