GRE Studying Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ank20

Reaction score
Any tips for studying for the GRE while still in undergrad? I'm having trouble sticking to a routine and balancing my course work and prepping for the GRE. Would love to hear about any plans/tools/tips & tricks you used!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
For me, I used my winter break and summer to prepare for the GRE’s. I used manhattan prep book from amazon ($20 or so) and I did pretty well on it. It has verbal, quantitative, and essay problems.

If you don’t have time during winter breaks. I suggest studying on weekends and have class work done prior to the start of the weekends.

I HIGHLY recommend the Magoosh online GRE prep. I bought a bunch of prep books but honestly only really ended up using Magoosh. They provide you with an insane amount of prep materials, including study schedules. They also show you the types of questions you need to work on and it’s super convient to split everything up into lighter chunks to keep coursework the priority.

Members don't see this ad :)
I barely studied and did well just get Magoosh to get used to how they will ask the questions. It's pretty cheap too. Studied about 3wks 4-5 hrs a week. 158Q 154V 4.0W

I used magoosh as well! Also get their free vocabulary app. I studied words in my free time and got 160 on the verbal.

Reactions: 1 user
Any tips for studying for the GRE while still in undergrad? I'm having trouble sticking to a routine and balancing my course work and prepping for the GRE. Would love to hear about any plans/tools/tips & tricks you used!

First step: take a practice test to see where you’re at and get familiar with the style of the test. After, focus on problem sections and work your best to understand the strategies needed to answer the questions. I personally benefitted from using the prep material from the testmakers- ETS books, but this required me to motivate myself and study on my own without a tutor to delineate work to me. It really depends on how dedicated you are and if you can self-study. If not, enroll in a prep course. Best of luck!! Start early in case you need to retake!!

Do you need to get the online Magoosh membership or the book will suffice?

Manhattan prep flash cards, 500 essential words and 500 advanced words.

I did study words from the longggg list provided in some study resources and it was complete waste of time since I never saw any of those words on real GREs. So I would say it is better to study/practice strategies how to eliminate words/wrong answers (based on roots meaning, etc).

Use Magoosh's App on your phone! Great way to study on the go~ I always used it inbetween work and school while commuting and it helped a ton!