GRE today may have ruined chances

Started by Sharpei5
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Sharpei5

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Today I took the GRE for the first time. I only scored a 740-Q and 430-V 👎 on the raw score. I studied for the last 3 weeks 5-8 hours a day only to end up bombing the verbal(even learned like 400 new words). What was strange though was that I had been averaging about 550 verbal on 6-8 Kaplan and power prep tests and my previous low was a 460 which was from the very 1st test I took. (sorry just vented)
I would normally just start studying for the retake but I may not have enough time. I just started taking Physics 1 and lab calculus based, and Iam trying to improve my hours of experience by working 15-20 hours a week in SA clinic.
I currently have about 3.6 overall GPA (over 130 hours of classes) and have already graduated with a finance degree. I still have a few requirements to meet like the 2 physics (summer), biochem(fall), and micro(fall) and maybe a few other sciences to show Im still studying . I also only have hours of actual veterinary experience, however this will be much improved after this summer and a full year without as many school restrictions.

I am applying for admission next fall and am thinking, the lack of experience (anyone know if they count hours after you apply) and terrible verbal score seem to make me a highly unlikely candidate for admissions this cycle. Any one have any opinions or advice?
 
Last edited:
I got in my first application cycle with a 470 on Verbal. Retaking it might help (at least it might help satisfy you), but they look mainly at percentiles as well as Quant. Maybe it was an insane verbal section and you'll be in the 60th+ percentile. I wouldn't sweat it all that much. There is plenty of time for you to study/ bring up the Verbal if you wanted...

Making sure the entire application package is well rounded (a lot of well diversified experience) with a strong GPA (which you have) is much more important that stressing out about the GRE.

Keep your head up - there will be many other areas to stress about, and just remember that no one thing will ruin your chances!!!
 
I had the same scores as you, but reversed (high verbal-I'm a reader, and low quant-I hate math). The only thing they mentioned about it in my interviews was that they were impressed to see a higher verbal (and a high analytical) than math score, as most pre-vets are opposite.

So anyway something I thought was going to be bad for me turned out great, so you never know. Don't worry about it much, and focus on being well-rounded in other areas.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Today I took the GRE for the first time. I only scored a 740-Q and 430-V 👎 on the raw score. I studied for the last 3 weeks 5-8 hours a day only to end up bombing the verbal(even learned like 400 new words). What was strange though was that I had been averaging about 550 verbal on 6-8 Kaplan and power prep tests and my previous low was a 460 which was from the very 1st test I took. (sorry just vented)
I would normally just start studying for the retake but I may not have enough time. I just started taking Physics 1 and lab calculus based, and Iam trying to improve my hours of experience by working 15-20 hours a week in SA clinic.
I currently have about 3.6 overall GPA (over 130 hours of classes) and have already graduated with a finance degree. I still have a few requirements to meet like the 2 physics (summer), biochem(fall), and micro(fall) and maybe a few other sciences to show Im still studying . I also only have 250 hours of actual veterinary experience, however this will be much improved after this summer and a full year without as many school restrictions.

I am applying for admission next fall and am thinking, the lack of experience (anyone know if they count hours after you apply) and terrible verbal score seem to make me a highly unlikely candidate for admissions this cycle. Any one have any opinions or advice?


Where are you applying at? Typically most schools have a much lower average verbal score than quant. Last year I had a 770 quant and 430 verbal and applied with a 3.5 GPA. If you can diversify your experiences to cover a broad range will make up for a smaller number of total hours. I got in to several vet schools with my score so I wouldn't be to hard on yourself. Your math score will be higher than the average for pretty much all the schools.
 
Well I am not exactly sure on my full list but I know im applying to UF(in),KSU,LSU, Western, Auburn, Minnesota, Tufts, Upenn, SGU, NC state, Ross and maybe Tuskegee.

Ill have SA around 1000 by the time I start Vet school and 150-200 hours with polo horses

I'm feeling a bit better about the score(apparently if I was one of the first to take a new test my score could change up to 50 points), I guess I can retake it cant get much worse in English. Anyone know if schools take your best overall score or best individual scores.
 
At least you managed to get a score above a 1000. All I was able to muster was a 950 overall score, and I still managed to get into a state school. If I can do it with my horrific score, I am sure you and anybody else in your predicament can!!!
 
I got into UF with a 620 Q and 410 V. It took me three times, but I did get in. The next year I studied and paid Kalpan that $1200. I got the same score. I wouldn't sweat it too much, your quant is awesome. I'm not saying retaking won't help you, but don't be a glomming doomer. It's not the end of the world and other parts of your app make you stronger.
 
Well... it's not an AMAZING score, but it is still average, so i wouldn't stress... the average for most vet schools that i have seen is between 1140 and 1190... this means there are people above and below and right smack dab in the middle...

You can try taking it again, just to see if your scores get higher... The way i studied was to memorize words and work through a kaplan book and practice USING their tips... it really helped me up my score... but if you don't want to spend the moeny retaking it or if you dont want to retake it without studying, iw ouldn't stress, you have a decent GPA to go with the GRE, and by the sound sof it are getting more experience...
 
You need to check with the individual schools you will apply to before retaking it. Some take the best combined score (so one set, but which ever is highest total), some average, some take the best category score from each.

If you do retake, consider trying some different testing strategies (like focusing on the first 10 questions.)
 
Seriously! Don't stress many of us did a lot worse and still got accepted into great schools (myself included). I got 160 points lower than you and I somehow got into 2 schools. :laugh:
 
610Q, 580V, and that was the best I could do after 3 tries. The GRE is just a portion of your overall application. Most schools like a stronger math score than verbal score anyways, and your math is very good.
 
This is great advice. Can you help me too? I'm worried about my GRE score too. I got a 670 quant and a 400 verbal. My GPA is 3.99 and I have about 2500 hours of small animal clinical experience and 200 hrs exotic lab animal experience. Do you think it'd be wise to spend my summer studying for the GRE while spending $1000+ to take the kaplan course or would it be more wise to spend that time working with a large animal vet?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is great advice. Can you help me too? I'm worried about my GRE score too. I got a 670 quant and a 400 verbal. My GPA is 3.99 and I have about 2500 hours of small animal clinical experience and 200 hrs exotic lab animal experience. Do you think it'd be wise to spend my summer studying for the GRE while spending $1000+ to take the kaplan course or would it be more wise to spend that time working with a large animal vet?


Kaplan has an express course thats around 300 or 400. I took that one, its 2 day 9 hour sessions and I think it helped me out a lot. If you feel you are capable of increasing your score with more time studying than I would. In my case I've always done extremely horrible on verbal standardized tests so I chose against it.
 
Thanks all for your support and advice.

I have a little advice to others, I used the Kaplan software and books to study, they where really helpfull in getting me up to speed for the math and generally I found their tests and problems to be harder thus better preparing me for the Quant part of the test. However, their verbal prep is way too easy, they use the same 400-500 words throughout their books and tests, and their reading comprehension is much shorter and easier on their practice CAT tests. I averaged around 620 with a range from 580-680 on their CATS. Then the actual test came and well........

If you need math help Kaplan can help if not, look elsewhere for verbal help
 
This is great advice. Can you help me too? I'm worried about my GRE score too. I got a 670 quant and a 400 verbal. My GPA is 3.99 and I have about 2500 hours of small animal clinical experience and 200 hrs exotic lab animal experience. Do you think it'd be wise to spend my summer studying for the GRE while spending $1000+ to take the kaplan course or would it be more wise to spend that time working with a large animal vet?

DoctaJer, have you already applied? I can't imagine that with nearly a 4.0 and all that experience that a 400 verbal would matter at all...I would trade stats with you in a heartbeat :laugh:. A solid GPA is much more indicative of the type of student you are than a GRE score. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it, most vet students score better on quantitative than verbal (and your quantitative is probably higher than the average applicant at most schools). If you are worried about being competitive, I would spend the time you would spend on a Kaplan course doing something that makes you stand out like spend the summer working in a lab, shadowing a large animal vet, or working at a slaughterhouse...getting experiences that not everyone else has. That said, I can understand wanting to fix a "blemish" on the app...If you are confident that you can either keep or improve a 670 quantitative, a less expensive option would be to maybe get a box of vocab flashcards (as I stated in another post, I memorized the top 200 words on the GRE and 4 or 5 of them showed up on my exam). Good luck!
 
thank you 🙂 That's exactly what I was hoping to hear... I just continue to hear the saying that you're only as strong as your weakest link but I agree that GPA is more indicative of your talents and school ethic than the GRE. I personally argue that the GRE tested me in areas that I'm not talented in (reading/writing/words) and didn't test me in areas that I excell in (visual/audio/logical/hands on). I'll mention that in my personal statement. And I'm not confident that I could maintain my quant score. It was actually higher than any score I got on the practice tests so I was pretty happy with it. The verbal was one of lowest though. I would muuuccchhh rather get large animal experience rather than study vocab words. Is there any threds that talk about how to get large animal experience? I don't even know if large animal clinics exist. How do you get involved with a large animal vet?
 
Check with each school of interest since schools use the GRE scores differently. Some use the overall best total score, some use the best Quantitative and the best Analytical combined, etc.

I can only speak for the LSU SVM in saying that we do not care how many times an applicant takes the GRE. We only look at the best overall total score. Given that, you can take the exam however many times you want and not be penalized in the admissions process at the LSU SVM.

One can get GRE statistics from previous classes on the LSU SVM Admissions web site at www.vetmed.lsu.edu/admissions.

I hope this helps a bit!
 
This is great advice. Can you help me too? I'm worried about my GRE score too. I got a 670 quant and a 400 verbal. My GPA is 3.99 and I have about 2500 hours of small animal clinical experience and 200 hrs exotic lab animal experience. Do you think it'd be wise to spend my summer studying for the GRE while spending $1000+ to take the kaplan course or would it be more wise to spend that time working with a large animal vet?

I retook the GRE, didn't do any better (and was out$1200) and spent some time with a large animal vet. So I'd def get some LA experience. For me, the course was just not helpful, but I'm sure for some it does wonders. Do what's best for you, but do get some LA. It show diversity.

On a side note, I think it's AWESOME that someone from a school (LSU) is on here giving some perspective from their school. I wish more schools did that!
 
I just continue to hear the saying that you're only as strong as your weakest link but I agree that GPA is more indicative of your talents and school ethic than the GRE. I personally argue that the GRE tested me in areas that I'm not talented in (reading/writing/words) and didn't test me in areas that I excell in (visual/audio/logical/hands on).

The argument for the GRE is that grades are also a reflection of the institution you attend, and institutions vary greatly in quality of program and quality of student. Not suggesting lack of either with any particular program, just that having an attended a school where 0 students obtained anything higher than a B+ in organic chemistry, it starts to grate to hear that a GPA is more indicative of talent and ethic; it can just as easily be an indication of grade inflation.

I am not a fan of the GRE CAT, but since 0 students in 4 years obtained a 4.0 GPA at my undergrad, I am not a fan of GPA comparisons either.
 
it starts to grate to hear that a GPA is more indicative of talent and ethic; it can just as easily be an indication of grade inflation.

I am not a fan of the GRE CAT, but since 0 students in 4 years obtained a 4.0 GPA at my undergrad, I am not a fan of GPA comparisons either.

Ditto that! I don't think anyone in my undergrad institution has gotten a 4.0 GPA for a loooonng time, and certainly NOT in the sciences. My older sister was probably the closest they've ever had and she had a 3.9 something. She's something of a freak. Very rarely do you have science students with GPAs over 3.7.

What pissed me off more than anything else was that I got a rejection letter from a summer vet fellowship. The rejection itself didn't bother me at all, but I almost blew up when I read the rejection letter. This prick had the nerves to say that he ONLY considered candidates with a 4.0 for his finalists. Umm... I totally wanted to write back and name a list of alums from my college who have accomplished sooooo much more than he ever will in his lifetime, and tell him they didn't have 4.0s either. Gahh!

Not being a hater at all for anyone here who has a 4.0. I'm sure you worked really hard for it, and I doubt that the quality of education you received was any worse than mine. My point is that putting someone with a 4.0 up on a pedastal is just as ridiculous as coveting an ivy league student.
 
I retook the GRE, didn't do any better (and was out$1200) and spent some time with a large animal vet. So I'd def get some LA experience. For me, the course was just not helpful, but I'm sure for some it does wonders. Do what's best for you, but do get some LA. It show diversity.

On a side note, I think it's AWESOME that someone from a school (LSU) is on here giving some perspective from their school. I wish more schools did that!

Thank you for your side note. While we always encourage potential applicants to carefully read through our web site (www.vetmed.lsu.edu/admissions) for up-to-date information, we also want to ensure - to the best of our ability - that other information that may be circulating through the "grapevine" is accurate.

Thank you again!
 
I had an almost identical situation happen to me! I had been studying with kaplan last summer before I took it the first time and thought I was going to do really well since I was doing well on the practice tests. I even memorized all 500 of the GRE word flashcards that you can buy. The first time I took it I did not do even close to how I expected on the verbal and I was devastated. So I retook the test again 10 days later and ended up getting 120 points higher overall! Just shows the test is all luck of the draw because its not like I went on an intense study regiment in those 10 days. My verbal still was not great (only a 530) but overall my score had improved a lot. I was freaking out because I was so set on doing well the first time and I thought schools wouldn't like having taken it twice. Turns out I was wrong because I ended up getting into a bunch of schools (I also had good grades etc, but it sounds like you do too). So don't let your verbal score discourage you! I really thought it would stick out as the one thing that would not get me into school but I was so wrong!