GRE- Vocabulary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

August2008

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm currently preparing to write the GRE and I am struggling with the vocab section. My first language is not English and I do not speak English at home, so even though I speak well and I don't have an accent and others probably cannot tell its not my first language, I nevertheless feel like I'm at a disadvantage. Is this at all considered by Grad Schools? How can my vocabulary knowledge be compared with to someone who has grew up speaking English and speaks it at home regularly? How is this fair?

Members don't see this ad.

Also, when should I schedule to write it? Most Grad school applications are due December 15th (I'm in Canada)..so how long does it take to receive a score? Can I write it beginning of December or is that too late?
Any replies would be greatly appreciated!!

I struggled with the vocab section, and English is my first language--so I really sympathize with you. Let me see if I can help you out.

1. The latest I would take the GRE is in early November to make sure you get your score reports in time. If you are taking the computer-based test (which most people do), you will get your verbal and quantitative scores right away. The writing section will have to wait a few weeks. You will get the option to send out 4 score reports with the test, which is usually fine for the early deadlines. However, if you are applying to more than 4 schools by Dec. 15, you will have to wait for your score reports to come in and then order more of them (I don't think you can order reports in the waiting period...please correct me if I am wrong).

2. Here is some helpful tips for the verbal section:
-study roots, prefixes, and suffixes. Even if you don't know the entire word, knowing these clues can help you out during the test.
-study a few words each day, especially right before bed.
-If you would like another book that helped me out, get the Words for Smart Test Takers. I took the GRE twice because of my verbal score, and this book helped a lot. It has SAT words, GRE words, subject-specific jargon, among other things.

I know it is a stressful time, and all I can say is good luck :luck: and let me know if I can be of any more help! :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Perhaps one of our other members whose first language is not English can confirm/clarify this, but I *think* that you can submit the TOEFL to programs as well. This allows them to take into consideration that English is not your primary language, which might obviously influence your GRE.

G'luck~

Hello

I would like to add: not only can you submit your TOEFL scores, but you must! Most schools require TOEFL grades (at least the ones I'm applying to!) if your native language is not english.

I had the same issue because english is not my first language either. I don't think that it would excuse a really bad vocab score, but hopefully it would be taken into account, especially if the rest of our applications are stellar...

Good luck!

- R.

2. Here is some helpful tips for the verbal section:
-study roots, prefixes, and suffixes. Even if you don't know the entire word, knowing these clues can help you out during the test.
-study a few words each day, especially right before bed.
-If you would like another book that helped me out, get the Words for Smart Test Takers. I took the GRE twice because of my verbal score, and this book helped a lot. It has SAT words, GRE words, subject-specific jargon, among other things.

Most Americans who've spoken English since birth are not prepared to take the test. As a foreigner, you are at an advantage with our language because you have learned it as an outsider, learning roots and tips to understand it.

I can't add to BlindBlond's advice.

Hi there,

I was in the same shoes. I didnt speak English until I was 16, so I was pretty darn scared of the Verbal. What I ended up doing was study, study, and study pretty much full-time for a month. I started with Barrons' high-frequency list, then branched out into the "Next 3500". Most GRE prep books have such lists. Once you've got all these words down, you should be more than OK for the test. If there's time left at the end, check out www.gredic.com, which lists 7500 difficult words. I memorized those as well. I ended up scoring in the 99th percentile. If I can do it, anyone can. Seriously, it's all about cramming and your resolve to beat the test.

Good luck.

You should also emphasize the fact that you are ESL in your personal statement, but as a strength rather than a weakness. Talk about how your unique background has contributed to your view of research or how it will make you a more empathetic clinician. It's something you should be proud of (plus, you may be eligible for diversity fellowships and schools are more likely to accept students eligible for outside funding).

If your score ends up being particularly low (below a 500), you should contact schools and ask about their policy on ESL students. You don't want your application to be culled from the pile during the initial sort through before they know your status.

This is the exact way my best friend handled her issues with the GRE. She has only been speaking English for about 5 years now, and she only managed to get a 490 on the verbal section. However, she was accepted to 5 programs last year, as is currently attending one of the top-ranked clinical PhD programs in the country. Don't give up!

Read classic novels, too. I cannot emphasize this enough.

Edit: Aaand I just realized this is from 2007 XD