Psychology GRE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mouse0424

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am seeking advice on why or why not take the psychology GRE? Are there any benefits and how to best approach studying for it. Thank you, and all the best.

Members don't see this ad.

It really is an easy test if you just get a study guide or couple of intro books. I bought a study guide, memorized most of it as my only study method, and got a great score. I took it because I had a big split in my regular GRE score- my quant scores were squarely mediocre at 50th percentile- but knew I could blow the psych out of the water without having to use multiplication :). Whether it actually helped in the end or not, idk, it may have been mostly just for my own ego at that point, but at least it's a relatively fun and easy one to study for. If your regular GRE scores are good i wouldn't waste the time unless somewhere requires or strongly suggests it.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed with others. Most programs won't require it, so I suspect that (in all probability) you won't have to take it. Focus on the regular GRE and make that the majority of your study efforts. If it's optional, don't bother. Only do it if programs you plan to apply to REQUIRE it.

Reactions: 2 users
Aside from what others have already mentioned above, the only other reason why you may consider taking it even if it is only "recommended" would be if you are coming from a non-psych background/major in undergrad.

Otherwise, if it is not required, I wouldn't waste my time/money.

Aside from what others have already mentioned above, the only other reason why you may consider taking it even if it is only "recommended" would be if you are coming from a non-psych background/major in undergrad.

Otherwise, if it is not required, I wouldn't waste my time/money.
This. Recommended becomes required pretty quickly when trying to prove basic competency.

Thanks so much everyone for all of the advice!