• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Site Updates Coming Soon

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Psychology GRE

singasongofjoy

5+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2014
  1. Psychologist
It really is an easy test if you just get a study guide or couple of intro books. I bought a study guide, memorized most of it as my only study method, and got a great score. I took it because I had a big split in my regular GRE score- my quant scores were squarely mediocre at 50th percentile- but knew I could blow the psych out of the water without having to use multiplication :). Whether it actually helped in the end or not, idk, it may have been mostly just for my own ego at that point, but at least it's a relatively fun and easy one to study for. If your regular GRE scores are good i wouldn't waste the time unless somewhere requires or strongly suggests it.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
About the Ads

Justanothergrad

Counseling Psychologist
7+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2013
Agreed with others. Most programs won't require it, so I suspect that (in all probability) you won't have to take it. Focus on the regular GRE and make that the majority of your study efforts. If it's optional, don't bother. Only do it if programs you plan to apply to REQUIRE it.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

SportsNeuroPsych

Neuropsychologist
2+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2019
  1. Psychologist
Aside from what others have already mentioned above, the only other reason why you may consider taking it even if it is only "recommended" would be if you are coming from a non-psych background/major in undergrad.

Otherwise, if it is not required, I wouldn't waste my time/money.

Upvote 0

Dazen

Clinical PhD Student
2+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2018
Aside from what others have already mentioned above, the only other reason why you may consider taking it even if it is only "recommended" would be if you are coming from a non-psych background/major in undergrad.

Otherwise, if it is not required, I wouldn't waste my time/money.
This. Recommended becomes required pretty quickly when trying to prove basic competency.

Upvote 0
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.