Gre

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nob01001

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone!

1) How many months (hours per week) would you guys recommend preparing for the verbal GRE? And what books did you find the most useful and accurate at predicting actual test questions?

2) How many months (hours per week) would you guys recommend preparing for the Psychology GRE? Is reviewing an introductory psychology textbook enough? (I haven't taken any psych classes besides General Psych 1 & 2 and Psychopharmacology)

3) What are salary ranges for Clinical Neuropsychologists? What about Forensic Neuropsychologists?

Thank You.

Members don't see this ad.

I emailed my former advisor with these very questions just last week, so I can provide you with his suggestions. He told me if I were to start studying now (beginning of August), that it would be sufficient time to prepare for taking the GRE in October and November. He said that when he took the GRE"s he started studying at the end of summer for a fall exam. So I think you should have time if you start right now.

He also suggested I go to the library and check out every GRE book I can find, and take as many practice exams as I can. You can also find them at bookstores like Borders and Barnes and Noble. ETS puts some out, and Kaplan. I went to Borders and found a bunch. Some are suited for the general exam, and others are geared towards the psych exam.

I'm not really sure what to tell you about the psych courses you've taken. There are a lot of things I rememebr from my psych classes that I think will come in handy on the GRE. Then again, just looking over some of my notes there are a lot of things I have no recollection of whatsoever. It's kind of like learning it for the first time in some cases. So you may be ok as long as you study the information in the books.

Good luck!

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that my former advisor suggested I read over SEVERAL intro to psych books. Apparently they are different and some books contain certain material that others don't. So if you have the option to look over different versions, I'd take it.

Hello hello
I just took the GRE this past July. I studied for it on my own and the one thing I would stress that is important is determination and consistency. You need to set aside at least 2-3 hours everyday.

One VERY Helpful book was the Practicing the GRE -- bought through ETS website itself. It has at least 7 full practice tests with answers. It was extremely helpful just working through the test book before beginning to practice in the CAT format.

I didn't study for the writing section and I did fairly well so just UNDERSTAND what the essay prompts are asking for. (Princeton Review was helpful in suggesting writing styles and formats for the issue and argument essays -- if you are a fairly strong writer w/ good organizational skills and can write coherently you will be fine.) So focus on the verbal (VOCAB is key) -- make flash cards or whatever you need to memorize the words.

Math is something that you just need to review and brush up on basics. It is easier than the verbal section -- so if it's been a while since you've read higher level texts then i suggest start memorizing vocab and reading WSJ, Harvard Business Journal etc...

Hope that helps!

Critique of prep-books:
Princeton Review: straighforward and clear to understand
Kaplan: Not bad just not as organized as PR
Practicing the GRE -- ETC: a must buy.

that's all i used to study for it - I studied for a little over a month.

Good Luck!