Gre

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stwei

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

How much influence does the GRE writing sample have on admissions? Does a 3.0 out of 6 kill your application if you have a 1350 combined score (720 quant 650 verbal?) :eek: I tried to do a websearch, but answers have been really ambiguous, adcoms didn't seem to focus on GRE too much overall..

Members don't see this ad.

stwei said:
Hi,

How much influence does the GRE writing sample have on admissions? Does a 3.0 out of 6 kill your application if you have a 1350 combined score (720 quant 650 verbal?) :eek: I tried to do a websearch, but answers have been really ambiguous, adcoms didn't seem to focus on GRE too much overall..

you don't have to give your gre scores to most schools. only one that required it is michigan, i think. even then, they'll look at your mcat's a lot more. you're applying to md/phd programs, right?

Even Michigan only requires it for certain programs, I think for something along the lines of biomedical engineering maybe?? You really don't need to take the GRE for MD/PhD programs, but does anyone know if you are supposed to report them if you have taken the test? It seems like it's not right to only tell them you took it if you got a good score, but how would they ever know?

kels said:
you don't have to give your gre scores to most schools. only one that required it is michigan, i think. even then, they'll look at your mcat's a lot more. you're applying to md/phd programs, right?
Michigan's MSTP certainly does not require GRE scores. However, if you're applying to grad school here (i.e., the PIBS program), then you need them. Even so, I doubt a poor writing score would hinder your application much. Let's take medical schools and MSTP programs...I think we would all agree that the writing sample score on the MCAT is not very important.