NIH OxCam--Does GRE vs MCAT matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sat0ri

Everything we see hides another
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The NIH OxCam page states that GRE OR MCAT is required--but is there any preference? I will not be able to take the MCAT in time for the application so I will have to take the GRE, and so I'm curious if this is looked down upon at all.

I will be applying track 3 (i.e., doing the full PhD at Cambridge, then MD school).

Also, is there any inkling as to what scores are expected? I've heard most stand-alone PhD programs don't care about GRE as long as a certain threshold is passed but I imagine this might be important in my case (NIH funding might be more competitive than PhD programs and not having a MCAT score yet).

If it helps to know: I am a current master's student at Cambridge (US citizen) under a competitive international scholarship.

Members don't see this ad.

the NIH GPP admin I talked to @ cam said typical scores are 90th percentile or better on the MCAT to be competitive but research is the most important component of the app.

It's likely as competitive as any MSTP, so 93rd percentile + MCAT. Idk about the GRE. I havent met anyone in academia who feels strongly either way about the GRE frankly, just do reasonably well.

My understanding is that the "or" distinction depends on whether you are applying MD-PhD (MCAT) or PhD-only (GRE) through this partnership, since they both go through the same application.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My understanding is that the "or" distinction depends on whether you are applying MD-PhD (MCAT) or PhD-only (GRE) through this partnership, since they both go through the same application.
I spoke to them a couple weeks ago and they said that the MCAT is fine for track 3. OP, you should still probably give them a call. They’re very nice.

I spoke to them a couple weeks ago and they said that the MCAT is fine for track 3. OP, you should still probably give them a call. They’re very nice.

My question is actually if GRE alone is ok for track 3

My question is actually if GRE alone is ok for track 3
Probably. Track 3 only really exists once you take advantage of it as a OxCam scholar. Until then, you're just a PhD candidate. You will need to take the MCAT for your MSTP applications when you apply in your 3rd year, but the GRE is almost definitely fine before then.

Probably. Track 3 only really exists once you take advantage of it as a OxCam scholar. Until then, you're just a PhD candidate. You will need to take the MCAT for your MSTP applications when you apply in your 3rd year, but the GRE is almost definitely fine before then.

Thank you for the insight. Now that you mention it, I'm confused about the MSTP part (I have a separate post about it): when I'm applying for med schools who participate in MSTP, why would they allocate funding from the MSTP to me to pay for tuition etc. if I won't be pursuing any research at that med school? It seems like this would me me quite uncompetitive in fact. Is MSTP funding separate and distinct from medical school (requiring different applications) or is it more that each med school is allocated funding by NIH MSTP and the schools choose who they give the funding to? This MSTP funding is what covers the tuition and, in most cases not including mine, the tuition and research funds for the PhD at the school of medicine?

Thank you for the insight. Now that you mention it, I'm confused about the MSTP part (I have a separate post about it): when I'm applying for med schools who participate in MSTP, why would they allocate funding from the MSTP to me to pay for tuition etc. if I won't be pursuing any research at that med school? It seems like this would me me quite uncompetitive in fact. Is MSTP funding separate and distinct from medical school (requiring different applications) or is it more that each med school is allocated funding by NIH MSTP and the schools choose who they give the funding to? This MSTP funding is what covers the tuition and, in most cases not including mine, the tuition and research funds for the PhD at the school of medicine?
I just responded on your other post.

Reactions: 1 user