Gre?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Esce

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there, again not sure if this thread has been posted so please forgive me if it has been (although i attempted to search earlier). Are the GRE necessary to take to get into a medical school? and if the university does not require GRE, will it aid me in my admission? (my GPA is about a 3 at the end of this semester but i have one more year to bring it up by retaking some of the courses i did not do so well in... F in microbio because our teacher was a *****... 45% of that class failed). and if GRE are necessary , do i have to take the general subject one or specific one in bio?
thanks
~

Members don't see this ad.

Medical school requires the MCAT, so you do not have to worry about the FRE. I doubt that the GRE plays any role whatsoever in applying to medical school.

Hi there, again not sure if this thread has been posted so please forgive me if it has been (although i attempted to search earlier). Are the GRE necessary to take to get into a medical school? and if the university does not require GRE, will it aid me in my admission? (my GPA is about a 3 at the end of this semester but i have one more year to bring it up by retaking some of the courses i did not do so well in... F in microbio because our teacher was a *****... 45% of that class failed). and if GRE are necessary , do i have to take the general subject one or specific one in bio?
thanks
~

The GRE isn't necessary, only the MCAT. I'm not sure if GRE scores can help in the admissions process but there is a place on the AMCAS application to report them. As for retaking classes, it's important to note that even if your undergrad institution allows you to replace the old grade with the new one, for AMCAS gpa calculations they use BOTH grades. That means if you get an F the first time and an A the second, the gpa calculated for that course would be about a C.

Members don't see this ad :)
The GRE isn't necessary, only the MCAT. I'm not sure if GRE scores can help in the admissions process but there is a place on the AMCAS application to report them. As for retaking classes, it's important to note that even if your undergrad institution allows you to replace the old grade with the new one, for AMCAS gpa calculations they use BOTH grades. That means if you get an F the first time and an A the second, the gpa calculated for that course would be about a C.

wow damn that sucks, is there anything that i can do to change that?
~

Sort of side note, I took the GREs in December and did well. Would it be totally ridiculous for me to submit my GRE scores in a LOI?

I'm of the opinion that test scores speak for themselves. I don't think it's beneficial to mention you took the GRE or scored in the Xth percentile in a LOI. I would lean towards mentioning courses completed, service activities, and/or any honors.

Some people will include GRE scores on the AMCAS (there's a slot for this information). Most adcom members ignore it, I think, and I suspect that many don't even know how to interprete the scores.