Great Application BUT....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PattyBoy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Major: Biochem
I have a 3.67 UMD
My science GPA is ~3.7 (3.9 in chemistry all taken at UMD with A+ Orgo II)
PCAT scores:
Verbal 58
Reading 37 (
Biology 84
Math 88
Chemistry 98
Composite
Extracurricular:

molecular genetics
TA Chemistry Courses
Private Chemistry Tutor

HERES THE BUT: I Got a 1.9 this semester because I was sick left and right. Schools wont see this on my application because I already sent my junk to pharmcas (I sent the 65 credits worth of grades). What Should I do? Be honest during my interviews? Put it in my cover letter or Not tell them, leave this semester ambigious, get accepted and send my final transcript after I get my good spring grades.... Only helpful advice please, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

How did you get a 1.9?

You don't have to bring up this semester unless asked, I feel. But to be honest, I thought you were supposed to update PharmCAS. Am I wrong on this? Do schools not ask to see your progress in the most recent semester before interviews?

They want to see everything. They have an academic update period for your fall semester grades. You can update till sometime in February.

Members don't see this ad :)
It actually might be a 2.1, I was just really sick all semester; I had like 4 colds, strep week of finals and my pancreas stopped producing lipase for some reason which took forever to diagnose. It really just ****ed me up but I can really handle my work usually. I just don't know what to do...

Last edited:
You need to apply for a medical withdrawal. Get your doctor notes together and submit the forms. It will replace your failing classes with W's. You will have to repeat, but you can certainly easily explain it.

But I didn't fail any class, I just got Straight C's (which is why I didn't withdraw...). I'll just explain it, I think I'm still somewhat competitive. Btw thanks for the advice, I think I'm just going to bring it up during my interviews and explain.

Last edited:
Oh my bad, a grade was just posted so I got a 2.18. I can't go back in time and withdraw so.. Does it all depend on interviews then?

haha passion wouldn't know. He only gets them A'sssss =P

LOL, I have a few undesirable grades.

Straight Cs though, I think only originates from distractions or a lack of trying. Anyone with two brain cells to rub together should be able to break 2.5 or 3.0 as long as they're not lazy, playing WoW when they should be studying, or have extenuating circumstances, such as children or pets on fire or something.

Unfortunately, at least from the people I tutored when I was in school, it was almost always a case of "Well I thought I knew it well enough the night before the exam..." so, see: lazy.

Or the people that think they can go to 3 weeks of lecture and then have an exam and magically remember everything because it's so clear when the prof. explains it, it's gotta be easy, right? Heh.

LOL, I have a few undesirable grades.

Straight Cs though, I think only originates from distractions or a lack of trying. Anyone with two brain cells to rub together should be able to break 2.5 or 3.0 as long as they're not lazy, playing WoW when they should be studying, or have extenuating circumstances, such as children or pets on fire or something.

Unfortunately, at least from the people I tutored when I was in school, it was almost always a case of "Well I thought I knew it well enough the night before the exam..." so, see: lazy.

Or the people that think they can go to 3 weeks of lecture and then have an exam and magically remember everything because it's so clear when the prof. explains it, it's gotta be easy, right? Heh.

Not necessarily...if you have to make up an exam, they usually make it much harder than the exam itself. And you really can't judge all academic programs. In some, C truly does mean average, esp. if s/he isn't taking any humanities courses now. You can't judge a person as lazy if you don't truly know them.
But you have 1 semester with 2.18, if you factor that in with a 3.65 or whatever that was, doesn't seem too bad, depending on how many semesters you were in school.
But no idea about PharmCas. I say if they don't tell you to update, don't update. If they do, just try to explain yourself and be willing to provide documentation.

LOL @ pets on fire- you are a funny one, Passion. :)

And YES, you can go back in time for a medical withdrawal. If you don't care about your 1.9 GPA or whatever it is (or too lazy to look into the medical withdrawal) more power to you, but as others have said in this thread, be prepared to address it in your supplemental essays or your interview.

The worst thing you can do is not disclose the information about this semester and have them find out about it later. I know this is just preliminary but the perception of withholding information is far more damaging than the low GPA for the semester. They will find out it is just a matter of when and from who. It may suck, but your better off if you break the news. Explaining the low GPA is much easier than explaining why you intentionally withheld pertinent applicant information.