Great E.C.'s, Low GPA, Blah MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

corpsman33

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I got my MCAT results and they were lower than expected. I got a 28 - O.
BR - 10
VR - 10
PS - 8

My AMCAS GPA for MD school is 3.1. Science is 3.2.
My AACOMAS GPA for DO school is 3.2. Science is 3.3.

My GPA does not reflect my current abilities. 11 years ago I received a 1.3 GPA from UC Davis and was on Academic Probabion. I took a 7 year break from school and over the last few years worked full time and graduated Summa Cum Laude with straight A's. That put me at the low 3's overall. The crappy thing is that I had to mark "yes" to "institutional action" on AMCAS and AACOMAS because of the academic probation 11 years ago.

My Extracurricular activities are very strong:

-Monitor Technician (telemetry tech) / Patient Care Assistant (4 years - thousands of hours patient care)
-Hospital Corpsman U.S. Navy (4 years - again, thousands of hours of patient care)
-Graduated Hospital Corpsman School with Honors & Distinction
-Top Academic Honors - NMCSD's Hospital Corpsman Internship
-Assistant Command Fitness Leader
-Volunteering in the Community
-Advanced Cardiac Life Support Instructor (ACLS - I certify physicians and nurses in advanced life saving skills)
-Basic Life Support Instructor (I certify providers in CPR)
-2008 Blue Jacket Sailor of the Quarter (4th Quarter)
-2008 Blue Jacket Sailor of the Year (out of 4,000 sailors)
-Basic EKG Analysis Instructor
-Bachelor of Science, Summa Cum Laude
-Mock Code Competition (hospital wide) - 1st Place
-Patient Visitation Study in the PACU (led to policy change regarding
visitation in the hospital)
-Leading Petty Officer (Supervisor) of the Post Anesthesia Care Unit

I know I may not get into many, if any, MD schools. But am hoping to get into some DO schools and if lucky maybe one or two MD.
I applied to the less competitive MD schools.

What do you think my chances are???

Members don't see this ad.

Stats are on the much lower end for MD, but the ECs are amazing, so you probably have a decent shot at some low-mid tier DO schools.

Stats are on the much lower end for MD, but the ECs are amazing, so you probably have a decent shot at some low-mid tier DO schools.

Thank you!

I applied to Morehouse and Meharry (both MD) which have lower GPA and MCAT stats as well. Anybody think I might be able to make it into one of these?

Members don't see this ad :)
Should be no problem to secure a D.O. acceptance anywhere. You hit the sGPA average and you have a great track record. Unless you have some extensive work with poor minorities, Meharry and Moorehouse are not going to happen.