great texts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

medicineman1

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know this is somewhat covered in the sticky section- but since the forum is relatively quiet, thought I'd pose the question- what are the must have texts in PM&R, and why?

How would you approach the mastery of the field in terms of self study?

any thoughts?
 
I know this is somewhat covered in the sticky section- but since the forum is relatively quiet, thought I'd pose the question- what are the must have texts in PM&R, and why?

How would you approach the mastery of the field in terms of self study?

any thoughts?

I would say bare minimum:

pocketpedia
delisa or braddom
a good EMG book - I have preston and shapiro
Cuccurullo
McGee or another Ortho physical exam book (Hoppenfeld's atlas is a plus)
A good anatomy book - Hollinshead, etc.
 
Neccessities:
- Cuccarullo (the clear #1 book)
- Pocketpedia
- Braddom

Worth getting if you have interest:
- Preston and Shapiro for EMGs
- Magee for Physical Exam
- Bogduk's anatomy of the lumbo-sacral spine if you have an interest in spine

Other books I've used a lot and I am glad I have
- Buschbacher's books (nerve conduction manual, sports medicine, MSK)
- Malanga's physical exam book
- PM+R secrets
- Dumitriu's EMG masterpiece
- Freddie Fu's sports medicine text
- Kaplan's MSK MRI book
- Greenspan's MSK radiology book
- Kirschblum's SCI text (I used it more as a resident- don't use it as a fellow, but it would be great if I was an SCI fellow)
- Moore's textbook of anatomy
- Hollinshead's big anatomy text (the old hardcover edition. I am not a huge fan of the paperback version)
- Delisa's EMG and NCV manual