Jefferson PM&R: Great Program!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr275

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Over the past year 4 of my friends in the match class of 2012 going into PM&R that interviewed at Jefferson spoke very highly of the program and left feeling that it was an elite program after having interviewed at the program. They mentioned that historically it has been considered an elite pmr program and always is referred to when discussing the top 10 or so programs in the country. I was just interested to know why isn't usually mentioned in the same group as the super 6 (ric,mayo,Kessler,unwash, spaulding ,baylor/ut). As a future applicant I would like to hear others opinions as to how Jefferson matches against these programs bc I am very interested in remaining in the Philly area. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Over the past year 4 of my friends in the match class of 2012 going into PM&R that interviewed at Jefferson spoke very highly of the program and left feeling that it was an elite program after having interviewed at the program. They mentioned that historically it has been considered an elite pmr program and always is referred to when discussing the top 10 or so programs in the country. I was just interested to know why isn't usually mentioned in the same group as the super 6 (ric,mayo,Kessler,unwash, spaulding ,baylor/ut). As a future applicant I would like to hear others opinions as to how Jefferson matches against these programs bc I am very interested in remaining in the Philly area. Thanks in advance!
Having just gone through the match, I can give you my perspective -

Jefferson is a very academic place, focused on learning and furthering the ability of all of the residents that are there.

As for how it competes with "super 6", I think it is equally as good in exposure/training and has an exceptional reputation as well. Historically, it is a particularly strong spinal cord injury place. As to why it isn't mentioned - I think it is probably due to the "mother" institution not being as large/recognized. If you look at the institutions attached to all of the others, they are all huge and research heavy places. That is my best guess.

If staying in Philly is important to you, I would go to Jeff in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
its not mentioned in the "top 6" because its not as good. people like to play these "its my program so therefore its great". if the consecus is tha tits not a top tier program, its not a top tier program.

Thanks for the info doctalk12... Im glad that you confirm what I've heard from others within PM&R field and that have recently interviewed. Looking forward to setting up a rotation at Jefferson!

Go for it man! I hear it's a really solid program! Good luck!

Well, there's no such thing as "best programs" anyway. There's a list of "Best Rehabilitation Hospitals" by U.S. News, which some people here use as a proxy for that. But that's just U.S. News' assessment and a good rehabilitation hospital for the patient may not mean the best training for a potential resident. Also, it goes without saying that the whole outpatient side of the field (which is what most people will find jobs in) is neglected with this benchmark.

If you feel like Jefferson has the best training, then feel free to tell people about it. :thumbup:

Thanks padding ton! After looking at the ranking I see that both Jefferson and Moss (facilities
Shared by temple and Jeff) are both ranked very highly, although you make a good point.From my understanding Jeff provides great output msk training as well. I haven't rotated there yet but I'm pretty excited to set it up and hopefully I will be able to remain in philly( hopefully Jeff, center city is great!)

Philly is a great place for rehab. Jeff and Temple are very well respected programs and UPenn is getting better. My question is why are you limiting yourself to Philly? The only reason that makes sense to me is if you have a spouse who has a job that they absolutely cannot leave.

Having also been through gone through the match process this past year, I would also like to provide input. Jefferson (along with Temple) has a very strong historic reputation within the PM&R realm and is an outstanding program that is nationally recognized as such. As DoctorJay stated above philly is a great place for rehab medicine. If you look through the PM&R threads at your leisure, you will see that Jefferson is consistently recognized as being a very strong, well-rounded premiere program along with the six mentioned and other well respected programs (Temple, Ohio State, UMich etc..) Having interviewed at the majority of what most consider the "top" very well respected programs (Uwash, kessler, RIC, Mayo, Spaulding, Jeff, Temple, UPMC etc..) I felt that I would receive very good well rounded training at all of these programs. What I realized and what you realize as you begin the interview trail is that what will be most important is going to the program that is the best all around fit for you and aligns with your future aspirations. As cheesy as it sounds and you've probably heard this a ton already but going with your gut is very important( do the residents appear happy, do you see yourself fitting amongst the residents and within the environment of the program.) What one individual finds to be the best program for him/her may not be the best program for another individual (that is why ranking is such personalized process). I will say that I had a great interview experience at the Jeff program, the residents all appeared happy , program had a nice mix of younger and older Attendings many of which are nationally recognized for their expertise, extremely well rounded program, and is in a nice location within philly. I really liked the program and ended up ranking it very highly. I think it is a great idea to do a rotation at the program and see if it fits you.

Last edited:
Kinda stumbled onto this forum, but one thing the OP may want to consider about Jeff is that they have very strong neurosurgery and orthopedics departments there, which will obviously send a ton of fairly complex cases to rehab. Obviously there's more to PM&R than that, but managing that group will provide good training for the future. Is it "top-6 or 10"? Who knows and who cares? You'll be well trained there, and from what my friend in the PM&R program there tell me, you'll be pretty happy too.