Great tips for entering your "Work/Activities" for AMCAS

Started by SailCrazy
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is it worth mentioning future activities such as shadowing another physician or volunteer activities that are not expected to begin until after the primary app is submitted? Should it be listed in the activities section? If I am to become a certified RN in may 2011, how could I include this on the application?

For random volunteer experiences that were one or two times only for like 10 hours, should I create an "other volunteer work" activity and then explain all of the different ones in the description?

Can I say I know spanish if my skills are only 'meh'? I took 3 years, I can still communicate fairly well, but I don't want to fool them into thinking I'm a fluent or anything. How could I include this?

Also, Is it ever appropriate to mention high school achievements? I did get one scholarship that involved doing some novel research that got presented at a epidemiology conference. Sadly, the thing is that I don't have a whole lot of great activities to list from undergrad.

Thank you!:xf:😕:xf:

Never include a language if you are not fluent. I am gujarati by birth as indicated by my username but I never put that I know gujarati down because even though I can understand some I am not fluent in it.

Only true fluency to the point of being able to translate for the doctors is the kind of fluency you should know to be able to put on an application that you know that language.

It is ok to not list ugrad activities if you don't have that much.

Lump all the random volunteer activities and call it miscellaneous volunteering or something. Was this done through an organization? For instance I did a lot of volunteer activities through student organizations like volunteer USF or USF Health corps. If there was a parent organization that was responsible for organizing all these random volunteer activities use that. If not, just call it miscellaneous volunteering.

Include future activities as current to present if you have started or are starting very soon i.e. like within the coming month or something.

Maybe you can list the RN thing in your essay but make sure to explain why medicine so soon after becoming a nurse.
 
I have several questions:

1) For shadowing...what do I list as dates...I have done some shadowing starting in high school all the way up to recently...so not sure how to list dates where you are required to put them.

2)Do I have to put a contact for every entry? For example, I have a few EC's, etc that it seems pointless to put a contact for.

3) Should I be listing hours/wk for every experience, or if not, at least total hours? Some of these things, again, many of the EC's would be hard to put hours for.
1) You'd put the dates within the narrative. Or for something as long ago as HS, you could say 8 hours during fall 2006.

2) No, the section will not require you to fill in a contact person. List one where it seems appropriate.

3) You don't have to fill in hours per week. Where it seems more appropriate, it's fine to explain in the narrative, eg when involvement was intermittent. DO put the total hours if it's possible.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
sorry if this has already been answered but my question is: how should we write out the work/activities descriptions?

I know U of Washington, for example, prefers that they be reflections on what you learned/how it will make you a better doctors, rather than a mere description of what you did. The dean of admissions even went so far as to say that they should be "mini personal statements"...however, I feel like that'd be too wordy for some other schools. What's the general consensus on this?
 
sorry if this has already been answered but my question is: how should we write out the work/activities descriptions?

I know U of Washington, for example, prefers that they be reflections on what you learned/how it will make you a better doctors, rather than a mere description of what you did. The dean of admissions even went so far as to say that they should be "mini personal statements"...however, I feel like that'd be too wordy for some other schools. What's the general consensus on this?

I commented on this in my post above. Do what works best to market yourself the best you can. If schools have told you to go with one method you might want to try what they say if that is the school you are trying to get into. But go with what works best for you. Its usually the top tier schools that live by the less to read is better. you can see this from their lack of essays in their secondaries. I feel like both schools I talked to wanted the mini essay format and now you are telling me a 3rd school is saying the same.
 
2 questions on work/activities:

1) During my freshman year, I was on an NCAA team as a walk-on...I practiced 15hrs/wk before ultimately leaving before the season started d/t a sports-related injury. The following year I decided not to return to this sport because I was not 100% and my priorities had shifted around.

Here's what I have for my AMCAS description:
*Participated in preseason conditioning and practices as a "walk-on" athlete in (sport X)
*Left the team in December due to injury

Can I include any of my achievements related to this sport in high school w/in the description?
I don't want to undermine the significance of this activity in my life.

2) I served as a recruiter for my school's honors college. I gave prospective students campus tours, and ate lunch with them. I also promoted the resources of the program by answering their questions and emailing people. (This was not a paid position)

What should I classify this as?
-Volunteer, Leadership, Other?
 
I have 2 quick questions, and I would really appreciate it if someone helped me out on these:

1. I recently changed my major to Biochemistry, but for our school biochemistry is just a specialization in the biology major. The major listed under my transcript reads: "Biology: Biochemistry" On the AMCAS, should I put biology or biochemistry? I put biology on the resume I handed over to my letter writers, is it okay if they mentioned I was a biology major?

2. I worked a part time job in a grocery store for 20 hours a week the summer before my freshman year. Should I put that in the work/activities section? I did not continue the activity afterwards.
 
2 questions on work/activities:

1) During my freshman year, I was on an NCAA team as a walk-on...I practiced 15hrs/wk before ultimately leaving before the season started d/t a sports-related injury. The following year I decided not to return to this sport because I was not 100% and my priorities had shifted around.

Here's what I have for my AMCAS description:
*Participated in preseason conditioning and practices as a "walk-on" athlete in (sport X)
*Left the team in December due to injury

Can I include any of my achievements related to this sport in high school w/in the description?
I don't want to undermine the significance of this activity in my life.

2) I served as a recruiter for my school's honors college. I gave prospective students campus tours, and ate lunch with them. I also promoted the resources of the program by answering their questions and emailing people. (This was not a paid position)

What should I classify this as?
-Volunteer, Leadership, Other?
1) It would be fine to include some brief discussion of your HS sport accomplishments in light of the fact that the activity continued into the college years.

2) I'd call it community service/volunteer-not medical/clinical. You can mention the mentoring component in your description.
 
I have 2 quick questions, and I would really appreciate it if someone helped me out on these:

1. I recently changed my major to Biochemistry, but for our school biochemistry is just a specialization in the biology major. The major listed under my transcript reads: "Biology: Biochemistry" On the AMCAS, should I put biology or biochemistry? I put biology on the resume I handed over to my letter writers, is it okay if they mentioned I was a biology major?

2. I worked a part time job in a grocery store for 20 hours a week the summer before my freshman year. Should I put that in the work/activities section? I did not continue the activity afterwards.
1) your schools still considers you to be a biology major, but studying a speicalized component of it, so I'd say you're a bio major. Isn't there a blank where you can fill in if it's 'other,' though? You could be more specific there, or just leave it as Bio to avoid confusion.

2) If you have plenty of empty spaces, it's borderline acceptable to list it as a college activity. I wouldn't blame you for not listing it though.
 
Thanks, your reply was very helpful. The AMCAS application has a space under the major selection for you to specify the name more accurately. Can I put Biology: Biochemistry track?

I think I will leave my pre-freshman year job out. I can't see adcom accepting me or rejecting me based on it, and I have 11 slots filled.
 
Thanks, your reply was very helpful. The AMCAS application has a space under the major selection for you to specify the name more accurately. Can I put Biology: Biochemistry track?

I think I will leave my pre-freshman year job out. I can't see adcom accepting me or rejecting me based on it, and I have 11 slots filled.

Yeah you can do that if that is what the school calls your major/track. In fact, if that is what they call it then I would do just that.
 
Thanks for this helpful thread guys and the effort and time you take in answering our questions.

1) One of my hobbies is music. I have been singing since highschool in all-state choirs, etc. In college I joined an a cappella group that practiced 7 hours a week. Should I just put the experience as "Singing" or should I put it as "A cappella group"? I'm afraid the 7 hours/wk will look exaggerated if I just put "singing"?

2) I did a poster presentation on a independent research study in senior year of highschool that took place over the course of junior year of highschool. I know usually we don't report highschool activities. Is this worth reporting?

3) Should I list phi beta kappa and if so, does it even need a description?

thanks again

Yes put the singing as one of two categories:
1. Hobbies/ECs not listed elsewhere
2. Artistic endeavor
And yes put capella group as the title and your role as singer.

Yes list phi beta kappa.

You can list the poster with other research things. However, if you apply for a job you should list it for future research gigs. But in terms of for amcas only list it with other research experiences if you want to show continued interest in research.
 
1) One of my hobbies is music. I have been singing since highschool in all-state choirs, etc. In college I joined an a cappella group that practiced 7 hours a week. Should I just put the experience as "Singing" or should I put it as "A cappella group"? I'm afraid the 7 hours/wk will look exaggerated if I just put "singing"?

2) I did a poster presentation on a independent research study in senior year of highschool that took place over the course of junior year of highschool. I know usually we don't report highschool activities. Is this worth reporting?

3) Should I list phi beta kappa and if so, does it even need a description?
1) How about "Vocal Music" or "Vocal Performance?" I'd list it under Artistic Endeavors since you perform for others.

2) No.

3) Yes, list it. Though universally recognizable, I'd imagine that the criteria vary slightly from chapter to chapter. At my school, I believe one had to be top 3% to be nominated as a junior and top 7% as a senior, among other requirements.
 
Last edited:
If you participated in any relief effort or helped local community, those experiences are excellent. Many students also put in a link to their website with pictures of their experience(shadowing, ER, relief program). Another recent trend is to add information about how the school you are applying to and if you did a summer program at the school.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is it okay to use "I" in your works/activities area?

I used "I" in a couple of the entries.
 
Hello, I've been reading this thread while filling out this section. I have another "merging" question:
I work for 2 tutoring companies (both started in January). I decided to merge them by combining the "Average Hours/Week (16)."
I left the organization name, contact name, contact's title, and city blank.

Here is my description so far:
Teaching high school and college students in biology, chemistry, and mathematics at a tutoring center, [company name] , in [city] for about 10 hours a week. Contact ___ ___.

Tutoring middle school and high school students in math and science for about 6 hours a week in [city]. Contact ___ ____.

1. Does this work or can I separate both? (I have the space)
2. Should I be more descriptive in how I teach/what I learned?

Thanks in advance!
 
For entering my hobbies such as Computer Building/Webdesign(example). What is the substance I am actually supposed to include. How do I not "fill out space" yet, try to come up with how coding websites and building my own computer is meaningful to medicine or how I've greatly learned "something" from these activities. I didnt learn really any underlieing wordly, or moral concepts, or life skills, I just learned how to code Html, and thats it, and build a computer thats it.

Also, if I have relevant videos of my hobbies(such as one of my hobbies for Drag racing/Mechanics) where I demonstrate how to install a cylinder head on an engine, Do I... or Can I(is it appropriate too) refer to the existance of a video, and where it can be found in the work/activities section?
 
Hello, I’ve been reading this thread while filling out this section. I have another “merging” question:
I work for 2 tutoring companies (both started in January). I decided to merge them by combining the “Average Hours/Week (16).”
I left the organization name, contact name, contact’s title, and city blank.

Here is my description so far:
Teaching high school and college students in biology, chemistry, and mathematics at a tutoring center, [company name] , in [city] for about 10 hours a week. Contact ___ ___.

Tutoring middle school and high school students in math and science for about 6 hours a week in [city]. Contact ___ ____.

1. Does this work or can I separate both? (I have the space)
2. Should I be more descriptive in how I teach/what I learned?
The way you've combined them works fine. If you prefer to separate them, that's fine, too, in which case you'd put the contact, city, and hours per week in the header. They are slightly different as you deal with a different age span with each.

I don't feel these jobs need a lot of descriptive commentary, but if there's something important you want to add, go ahead.
 
For entering my hobbies such as Computer Building/Webdesign(example). What is the substance I am actually supposed to include. How do I not "fill out space" yet, try to come up with how coding websites and building my own computer is meaningful to medicine or how I've greatly learned "something" from these activities. I didnt learn really any underlieing wordly, or moral concepts, or life skills, I just learned how to code Html, and thats it, and build a computer thats it.

Also, if I have relevant videos of my hobbies(such as one of my hobbies for Drag racing/Mechanics) where I demonstrate how to install a cylinder head on an engine, Do I... or Can I(is it appropriate too) refer to the existance of a video, and where it can be found in the work/activities section?
It's fine for Hobbies to just be fun. It isn't necessary (or usual) that it be accompanied by a lot of description.

Some will put the link to a pertinent You Tube or such-like link that demonstrates a skill.
 
Whichever seems most suited to a given experience is fine. Bullets would be likely to predominate, but sometimes lyrical prose is more appropriate if you want to add a bit of reflection, try to share the 'feel' of an experience, or properly express its importance or impact on you.

Should the same style/format (bullets or prose) be used consistently throughout the activities section?
 
I am trying to be as concise as possible, and don't want to use the bullet format. Is anyone else using "I" in their descriptions? I started out not using "I" or "me" by saying "Began as a volunteer in blank department doing blah blah blah." But this isn't working for my experiences with longer descriptions, and I dont want to use incomplete sentences.
So, would "I began as a volunteer in blank department doing blah blah blah." be LizzyM approved?
 
I am trying to be as concise as possible, and don't want to use the bullet format. Is anyone else using "I" in their descriptions? I started out not using "I" or "me" by saying "Began as a volunteer in blank department doing blah blah blah." But this isn't working for my experiences with longer descriptions, and I dont want to use incomplete sentences.
So, would "I began as a volunteer in blank department doing blah blah blah." be lizzyM approved?

On a resume, one would type something to the effect of, "Volunteered in blank department doing blah blah blah." It's not an incomplete sentence, but it's also not the sentence structure they taught you as a kid. IMO, it's assumed everything in your app is about you unless stated otherwise, so starting every sentence with I isn't necessary. This obviously does not apply to the personal statement.
 
2 questions:

1) I am a certified EMT-B but have not had a payed position as an EMT. I have, however, attended the '09 and '10 (next week) EMS conferences in MN, and volunteered as an EMT at the '09 chicago marathon and the '10 Minneapolis marathon. How can I include these things in my application? I have considered making an experience titled "EMS" and including these things, but I'm not sure. BTW I am interested in emergency medicine and have ~80 hours as a volunteer in the ER at a local hospital, but that should be its own experience, correct?

2) Since Jan '09 I have been obsessed with health/fitness/nutrition. I workout 2 hours/day, 5 days/week. Furthermore, I have spent a great amount of time learning at a fitness & nutrition forum where I have 3500+ posts. Is there any way to include this in my application? I already have a 'hobbies' experience for Bands/Music, and was thinking of making another one for Fitness & Nutrition. Thoughts?

BTW, I do have some solid ECs, these were just some things I wanted to throw in, as well
 
Last edited:
Hi,

I've tried searching for this thread to see if my question has been answered already, but I can't find it, though I'm pretty sure it has been - just different phrasing.

Anyway, if you're an officer for an organization, and you participate in activities as a normal member would plus you also do a different set of activities within the organization as an officer, should you list these two sets of activities as two different experiences for one single organization?

Thanks!
 
Hi,

I've tried searching for this thread to see if my question has been answered already, but I can't find it, though I'm pretty sure it has been - just different phrasing.

Anyway, if you're an officer for an organization, and you participate in activities as a normal member would plus you also do a different set of activities within the organization as an officer, should you list these two sets of activities as two different experiences for one single organization?

Thanks!

I would only list it once. Something like:

President, Buena Vista Social Club
-something you did
-something else you did
-another something else you did
-come on, you expect me to believe you did four things? 😉
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
2 questions:

1) I am a certified EMT-B but have not had a payed position as an EMT. I have, however, attended the '09 and '10 (next week) EMS conferences in MN, and volunteered as an EMT at the '09 chicago marathon and the '10 Minneapolis marathon. How can I include these things in my application? I have considered making an experience titled "EMS" and including these things, but I'm not sure. BTW I am interested in emergency medicine and have ~80 hours as a volunteer in the ER at a local hospital, but that should be its own experience, correct?

2) Since Jan '09 I have been obsessed with health/fitness/nutrition. I workout 2 hours/day, 5 days/week. Furthermore, I have spent a great amount of time learning at a fitness & nutrition forum where I have 3500+ posts. Is there any way to include this in my application? I already have a 'hobbies' experience for Bands/Music, and was thinking of making another one for Fitness & Nutrition. Thoughts?

BTW, I do have some solid ECs, these were just some things I wanted to throw in, as well

1) Yes, list the hospital volunteer experience separately. Not sure how to list the EMT experience, though.

2) I wouldn't include it. Lots of people workout and post on internet forums 😉. If you've completed any races or participated in any major events, those are usually alright to list.
 
Hello everyone!!

I am finishing up my primary application and hopefully will get them out by the end of this week. I have a few questions:


1) If you are entering honors/awards, what should I put down for the average hours per week? Should I just leave it blank?

2) Can I submit my application without my letters of recommendation?


Thanks!
 
1) I am a certified EMT-B but have not had a payed position as an EMT. I have, however, attended the '09 and '10 (next week) EMS conferences in MN, and volunteered as an EMT at the '09 chicago marathon and the '10 Minneapolis marathon. How can I include these things in my application? I have considered making an experience titled "EMS" and including these things, but I'm not sure. BTW I am interested in emergency medicine and have ~80 hours as a volunteer in the ER at a local hospital, but that should be its own experience, correct?

1) Yes, list the hospital volunteer experience separately. Not sure how to list the EMT experience, though.
You may list the EMT conferences under Conferences Attended.

Your coursework to become an EMT should be in your transcript. If your ER volunteer position allows/requires you to use your EMT skills, mention that so it is known the volunteer position requires your additional training. In the same space, I think it's fine to list the other EMT-based community service you provided at the marathons. In which case, I think it's fine to label the overall activity "EMS Activities."

If, on the other hand, the ER volunteering has nothing to do with your EMT training, then I'd list the ER volunteering separately from the EMS volunteering. Or, if space is a problem, then list the EMS volunteering with other "Short-Term Community Service."
 
I have read on here to list shadowing under "Other" and to list each doctor shadowed in the description.

1.Should you just list the total hours with each doctor? or include days/week, etc

2. I shadowed a internist who let me follow him on rounds as well as work on some charts (put the correct insurance sticker w/correct patient, make sure ssn and DOB matched on all papers, then input them in the computer) should I include stuff like this after I list the doctor

3. I also shadowed some surgeons. Should I just state that I shadowed orthopedic surgeon john doe for 12 hrs or should I write some of the surgeries I actually saw like a total knee replacement?
 
1.Should you just list the total hours with each doctor? or include days/week, etc

2. I shadowed a internist who let me follow him on rounds as well as work on some charts (put the correct insurance sticker w/correct patient, make sure ssn and DOB matched on all papers, then input them in the computer) should I include stuff like this after I list the doctor

3. I also shadowed some surgeons. Should I just state that I shadowed orthopedic surgeon john doe for 12 hrs or should I write some of the surgeries I actually saw like a total knee replacement?
1) I would put 23 hours during fall 2009 (eg) with name and specialty. At the end of the space, put a grand total for all shadowing.

2) You may, though those activites would fit better under community service-not medical/clinical (unless there were too few hours to bother with a new entry).

3) Everyone reading the entry will know what orthopedists do, but if one or some procedures made a significant impact, feel free to bullet the item under the doc's info.
 
Hi guys. A few quick questions. Hopefully you guys can help.

1. Should I list how many total hours I've volunteered at my clinic? how many total hours I volunteered w/ a non medical organization? total hours for shadowing? Thanks!

2. I received some grant money and a stipend for a summer research fellowship. The grant money was only like 500 and the stipend was a little over a thousand. Should I mention the dollar amount in my AMCAS box?
 
Hi guys. A few quick questions. Hopefully you guys can help.

1. Should I list how many total hours I've volunteered at my clinic? how many total hours I volunteered w/ a non medical organization? total hours for shadowing? Thanks!

2. I received some grant money and a stipend for a summer research fellowship. The grant money was only like 500 and the stipend was a little over a thousand. Should I mention the dollar amount in my AMCAS box?
1) If the hours per week in the header are easy to multiply out in one's head, you need not total the hours, but for the most part, it's helpful to give a total at the end of the narrative.

2) LizzyM has said if the amount is really impressive to mention it, but for modest amount, not to bother. So I wouldn't. If the process for getting the grant/stipend was competitive, then mention that.
 
Cat,

I have a quick question. When is it appropriate to include more contact information than just a name. I am a nontraditional applicant, so I have some engineering jobs and research. Would they want contact info for this?

Also I know you said to definitely include contact info for physicians shadowed. What about hospital volunteering? Should I include the volunteer coordinator's contact info?
 
When is it appropriate to include more contact information than just a name. I am a nontraditional applicant, so I have some engineering jobs and research. Would they want contact info for this?

Also I know you said to definitely include contact info for physicians shadowed. What about hospital volunteering? Should I include the volunteer coordinator's contact info?
Personally, I feel that the more information (name, email/phone, address) you include, the more you legitimize the activity. Alternatively, when an activity occurred long ago, it isn't always possible to have exact contact information, so the name of the department or firm amy be all you can provide. Do what you can. It's fine to leave some of the balnks empty.

If you know the name and/or volunteer coordinator's office phone number its great to include it. If not, the name of the hospital will suffice.
 
Do all work activities need a description? For example I am putting down football under intercollegiate sports. Is that self explanatory, or should I go into detail and talk about games, practice, lifting weights, etc
 
Can I include research projects (for which I received course credit) in my Work/Activties (i.e., honours thesis project, third year research project)? Thanks!
 
Do all work activities need a description? For example I am putting down football under intercollegiate sports. Is that self explanatory, or should I go into detail and talk about games, practice, lifting weights, etc
I wouldn't go into too much detail, but you could at least make it clear that you were playing on an official school team and list any particularly important matches/games. If you wanted you could also mention what position you played, and what you gained from your experiences in terms of teamwork and/or interest in sports medicine.

I wouldn't describe practices/workout stuff.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Never include a language if you are not fluent. I am gujarati by birth as indicated by my username but I never put that I know gujarati down because even though I can understand some I am not fluent in it.

Only true fluency to the point of being able to translate for the doctors is the kind of fluency you should know to be able to put on an application that you know that language.

How would you put that you are fluent in a language then? For example, I am fluent in Mandarin, it was the first language that I learned as a child, and I believe I would be capable of translating for a doctor.

Would it be listed under "Other"?
 
How would you put that you are fluent in a language then? For example, I am fluent in Mandarin, it was the first language that I learned as a child, and I believe I would be capable of translating for a doctor.

Would it be listed under "Other"?
There's a section under Biographic Information for languages. Don't waste a Work/Activities slot on this.
 
There's a section under Biographic Information for languages. Don't waste a Work/Activities slot on this.

Thanks for the response! I actually already filled that section out and totally forgot that there was a section for languages.

I have another question about work/activities. Due to unfortunate family circumstances, every summer I had to go back home in order to find renters for our family's house. (The rent is the only source of income for my family.) Would this be appropriate to put under the work/activities section? I wanted to put this in order to explain how I have spent my summers.
 
Can I include research projects (for which I received course credit) in my Work/Activties (i.e., honours thesis project, third year research project)? Thanks!

yes, i'm in the same situation. all of the research i've ever done minus a few months was completed as research course credit. i'd like to know what is best for this situation.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.