Great tips for entering your "Work/Activities" for AMCAS

Started by SailCrazy
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I still had another question that nobody answered earlier: If I have been in a leadership position in a club yet I am not in a position anymore how should I list the activity? Is it best to title it with the position I had in the club or the club name? How would this work when entering the dates of the activity (should I list the dates that I was in the position, or list the dates that I was part of the club)?

Bump
 
That article just convinced me to write in paragraph form. Sigh... Now I have to change everything...

interesting! i have been going back and forth on this, but their reasoning is solid. i think it looks better as a narrative anyways, as long as it isnt too long-winded.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,

I'm having trouble coming up with the Experience name and Hours/week. For instants, I'm just a member of an club, and to remain a member you have to attend three events and volunteer once at anyplace of your choice. So there were no "hours" requirement and nor did we have to meet every week. So I don't know what to put for number of hours. I was thinking of putting down Member as experience name, but don't know what to put for hours/week. I don't want to lie and put down something like 2 hours / week. So any advice on what to put for experience name and hours/week?

Thank in advance for any advice you provide. 🙂
 
Hi all,

I thought someone had asked this question earlier, but after searching, I can't seem to find where. I was just admitted to an surgical internship program that, based on everything I've seen and read, will provide really great, hands-on clinical exposure. I do have a few good clinical experiences already a part of my activities list, but I think this would also really help as something I'll be doing during my year applying. It's supposed to start in August .. is it appropriate to list it with my activities now, even though I'll be starting it a few months after submitting?

Thanks for the help!
 
Hi all,

I thought someone had asked this question earlier, but after searching, I can't seem to find where. I was just admitted to an surgical internship program that, based on everything I've seen and read, will provide really great, hands-on clinical exposure. I do have a few good clinical experiences already a part of my activities list, but I think this would also really help as something I'll be doing during my year applying. It's supposed to start in August .. is it appropriate to list it with my activities now, even though I'll be starting it a few months after submitting?

Thanks for the help!

You could do that if it won't let you hit august to present. Otherwise, mention it in secondaries. Can look up what secondaries will ask for the schools you are applying to right now. If a quick scan shows there is space to add additional info not on amcas you can add it in there.
 
Hi,

I'm having trouble coming up with the Experience name and Hours/week. For instants, I'm just a member of an club, and to remain a member you have to attend three events and volunteer once at anyplace of your choice. So there were no "hours" requirement and nor did we have to meet every week. So I don't know what to put for number of hours. I was thinking of putting down Member as experience name, but don't know what to put for hours/week. I don't want to lie and put down something like 2 hours / week. So any advice on what to put for experience name and hours/week?

Thank in advance for any advice you provide. 🙂
List the activity under Other. Put Member of XXXX Organization as the activity name. You don't have to fill in the hours per week in the header. Rather, in the narrative mention the degree to which you participate.
 
I know this has probably been asked before but I'm having trouble finding it by searching through the thread. If I have been in a leadership position in a club yet I am not in a position anymore how should I list the activity? Is it best to title it with the position I had in the club or the club name? How would this work when entering the dates of the activity (should I list the dates that I was in the position, or list the dates that I was part of the club)? I would appreciate any help with this. Thanks!
I would list the activity under Leadership, entering the header dates as those when you served in that capacity. Name the activity President (or whatever) of XXXXXX(organization's name). In the narrative put in the date that you became a general member and that you continue at this time as a general member.
 
Hey guys can anyone help plz answer these questions! I need some help.

1.What are school clubs counted as for "Experience type" ?? Extracarriculars/Hobbies/Avocations? I keep thinking EC is similar to hobby in this case b/c it's next to hobbies and avocations.

2. I am a board member/leader of a student organization on campus. Where should I list this activity as?

3. Also, what is "Leadership not listed elsewhere" ?

4. Also, I'm into photography. I have DSLR and spend some free time doing photography. Do I count this as a "hobby" or "artistic endeavor" ?
 
Hey guys can anyone help plz answer these questions! I need some help.

1.What are school clubs counted as for "Experience type" ?? Extracarriculars/Hobbies/Avocations? I keep thinking EC is similar to hobby in this case b/c it's next to hobbies and avocations.

2. I am a board member/leader of a student organization on campus. Where should I list this activity as?

3. Also, what is "Leadership not listed elsewhere" ?

4. Also, I'm into photography. I have DSLR and spend some free time doing photography. Do I count this as a "hobby" or "artistic endeavor" ?

Not sure on number 4 which is more appropriate. I'd probably say either could work. But let us see what catalystik has to say. They know what they are talking about since they've taken over the thread.

Leadership not listed elsewhere is leadership like student organizations. Because some leadership roles like teaching are listed under teaching/tutoring or like job positions listed under employment categories, etc.

So that is prob. why leadership category is called leadership not listed elsewhere. at least that is my interpretation.

I would put your student roganization leadership in leadership not listed elsewhere. That is what I did on mine.

And as for clubs I listed that asthe hobbies, extracurriculars, avocation category that you talked about above.
 
4. Also, I'm into photography. I have DSLR and spend some free time doing photography. Do I count this as a "hobby" or "artistic endeavor" ?
If you enter shows or display your work for others to enjoy in some manner, it is an Artistic Endeavor. If you take photos for your own enjoyment and are still perfecting yor craft, then it's a Hobby.
 
I will begin shadowing several physicians in the emergency department of my local hospital later this month, and would like to list this as an activity on AMCAS.

1) Should this be listed under "Other?"
2) Is it ok to put in the description "Will be shadowing X physician blablabla..." implying that I haven't started yet but plan to?

Thanks in advance!
 
I have a question:

I have this friend with Cystic Fibrosis who, a couple years ago, was very interested in traveling to Tanzania to work at an orphanage there. Unfortunately, her medical bills as well as a plethora of other bills her and her family had prevented her from achieving this dream by herself. Myself and a few friends decided to throw a fundraiser where a bunch of local bands played, and people baked goods to sell. Ultimately we raised close to 1000 dollars (I don't remember exactly how much, though) and my friend was able to squeak by with enough money to work over in Tanzania.
Could I list this as nonmedical volunteer, or other, or something, even though it wasn't through any official program, and thus there is no paperwork or proof outside of my peer's word that this actually happened? Also, would it be worth mentioning that my friend has CF, even though our fundraiser is not aimed at helping her find a cure or pay her medical bills?

Thanks!
 
I have a question:

I have this friend with Cystic Fibrosis who, a couple years ago, was very interested in traveling to Tanzania to work at an orphanage there. Unfortunately, her medical bills as well as a plethora of other bills her and her family had prevented her from achieving this dream by herself. Myself and a few friends decided to throw a fundraiser where a bunch of local bands played, and people baked goods to sell. Ultimately we raised close to 1000 dollars (I don't remember exactly how much, though) and my friend was able to squeak by with enough money to work over in Tanzania.
Could I list this as nonmedical volunteer, or other, or something, even though it wasn't through any official program, and thus there is no paperwork or proof outside of my peer's word that this actually happened? Also, would it be worth mentioning that my friend has CF, even though our fundraiser is not aimed at helping her find a cure or pay her medical bills?

Thanks!

I used peers as contact info in a few of my organizations. So yes you can list other people involved in organizing it.
 
I will begin shadowing several physicians in the emergency department of my local hospital later this month, and would like to list this as an activity on AMCAS.

1) Should this be listed under "Other?"
2) Is it ok to put in the description "Will be shadowing X physician blablabla..." implying that I haven't started yet but plan to?

Thanks in advance!

Yes and yes.

I used other and titled it clinical shadowing.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A while ago, a poster that I was first author on was presented by my PI at a conference. From this same conference, my abstract was also published in a journal. Should I list the poster under "posters/presentations" category or put it in "Publications" in the same slot as my abstract?

thanks for the help!
 
Should we put hobbies all under one activity heading of "hobbies" or can we list them separately if we have the space?
 
A while ago, a poster that I was first author on was presented by my PI at a conference. From this same conference, my abstract was also published in a journal. Should I list the poster under "posters/presentations" category or put it in "Publications" in the same slot as my abstract?

thanks for the help!
If the abstract appeared in a national journal, I'd list it under Publications. I'd probably mention the presentation at the end of the Research section, giving credit to the PI as the presenter, and naming the conference, its city, and date.
 
So I keep hearing again and again not to include high school activities, but I wanted to hear your thoughts on two of mine.

1) Vice President of Northwestern Memorial Hospital's Medical Explorers Post. Got to tour the hospital and gain insight into how the hospital works and various different medical occupations. As a result of this post, I was given four summer internships at NMH (throughout HS and college).

2) BME summer internship - 17 y/o. Worked at NMH 40 hours a week for 8 weeks in BME dept. Learned how many medical equipment worked. Saw a lot of surgeries. Shadowed. (Also got to be in PBS TV show called Mini Medical School TV because I was in the same surgery room as them when they were filming an aneurysm being clipped and they were like ahh! you are 17. What are you doing here?)

I plan on including both because they were my foundations in wanting to attend medical school. Does anyone want to argue not using these?
You can use your spaces for any activity that you like, however, in my opinion, you'd be better served to refer to these experiences in your Primary Statement as formative activities that developed your interest in medicine. They could also be drawn on as source material for Secondary essays.
 
You can use your spaces for any activity that you like, however, in my opinion, you'd be better served to refer to these experiences in your Primary Statement as formative activities that developed your interest in medicine. They could also be drawn on as source material for Secondary essays.

Thanks Cat for the feedback. I have way better stuff for my secondary essays though. More recent too. (and my personal statement goes more into my current research and clinical experiences -- trying to emphasize my characteristics that will make me be a good doctor -- not ohh I interned as a BME and it was sooooo cool, haha) 🙂
 
While working on the activities boxes on several I've ran out of characters to include their contact information. I know I will not be able to fill all 15 boxes with meaningful experiences would it be appropriate to have one box that is dedicated to the contact information for all of the other boxes?
 
While working on the activities boxes on several I've ran out of characters to include their contact information. I know I will not be able to fill all 15 boxes with meaningful experiences would it be appropriate to have one box that is dedicated to the contact information for all of the other boxes?

Isn't the contact information outside of the box? They just ask for name and title.
 
I was under the impression they wanted the contact information such as phone numbers and possibly email address, so that, if they desire, they can contact and verify the information.

hmmm... well I would have given it to them if they asked for it. Otherwise, it shouldn't be too hard to look up most of the contact information. An experience description to me implies that you just should write down what you did and learned... not how to contact someone. I hope I'm not wrong because I just submitted my app.
 
Hey everyone, I'm new here. I'm really confused about what to put down for my Works and Activities section. My problem is that although I did quiet a bit of activities, they were all similar so I don't know how to organize them. Should I lump similar things together or leave them apart? what is okay to lump together? I read through many of the posts, but couldn't find a specific answer to my problem.

I did the following things:

For research (all in the same lab under the same professor):
* 3 years of doing special study (research for credit in a lab)
* one independent project
* one poster
* presented my poster at a undergraduate research conference
* a summer REU program

For clinical:
* 2 years in the ER (started out as a 2 qtr internship, then switched to being a community volunteer but still got transcript notation for all 2 years -- so does this count as community service?) where I got to see procedures, learned how to do EKGs, and followed a doctor who wrote one of my letter of recommendations
* 6 months interning at a Neuroscience Center where I shadowed doctors of different specialties, and got to interact with patients and staff more than at my other internships
* 1 quarter interning in a Operating Room where I got to see many operations up close

Awards/Honors:
- graduated with Honors
- Dean's Honor List for 7 qtrs
- Departmental Citation Award (for my gpa and research)
- Member of Golden Key Honor Society
- Member of Phi Sigma National Honor Society

Hobbies:
- 3 years of piano lessons in high school. In college, I continued practicing on and off (depending on what classes I took, and if I had midterms that week or not). I also took many music classes in college, and joined the Gamelan Ensemble for 2 quarters (can I list this as a hobby).

Tutoring:
- I'm from an immigrant family where the adults don't speak much English so the older kids in the family (me being one of them) had to help tutor the younger kids. Later in college, I worked for one quarter as a Physiology Tutor. (is this significant enough to list as an activity or would it be considered fluff?)

Volunteer Experience:
- I was the president of a community service club in high school, and received a small $500 scholarship and and a service medal for it. In college, I joined some small clubs, but only went to maybe 3-4 events per quarter. Instead I focused most of my volunteer work by volunteering in the ER because I was more interested in the hospital setting. (Is this okay to list as a volunteer experience? Should I list it as volunteer experience, internship experience, or both? Also, can I mention my role as president as leadership?)

Can someone, hopefully an adcomm like LizzyM, please give me suggestions on how I should organize this? If I lump them together too much, then I won't come close to having 15 activities. But I also don't want to spread them out too much if they are too weak alone to mention. Thanks in advance for anyone's help and suggestions.
 
I was under the impression they wanted the contact information such as phone numbers and possibly email address, so that, if they desire, they can contact and verify the information.

hmmm... well I would have given it to them if they asked for it. Otherwise, it shouldn't be too hard to look up most of the contact information. An experience description to me implies that you just should write down what you did and learned... not how to contact someone. I hope I'm not wrong because I just submitted my app.
You are not obliged to provide the contact information, but IMO it's a good idea if it's at all possible to squeeze it in with a bit of editing elsewhere. If it's not there, and an adcomm wants to know badly enough, they can google it and find out for themselves. (But why put them to unnecessary work if it's avoidable?)
 
sorry if this has been asked a lot but I looked through as much of the thread as I could and couldn't find too clear of an answer

if you're a part of a club (let's say Red Cross or WHO) and have an active role but no leadership, do you put this under nonmedical volunteering or hobbies/EC? I guess I'm just kind of confused as to what is put into the hobbies/EC section since everything I can think of can fit in somewhere else too :/
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
sorry if this has been asked a lot but I looked through as much of the thread as I could and couldn't find too clear of an answer

if you're a part of a club (let's say Red Cross or WHO) and have an active role but no leadership, do you put this under nonmedical volunteering or hobbies/EC? I guess I'm just kind of confused as to what is put into the hobbies/EC section since everything I can think of can fit in somewhere else too :/

Depends on what it is? Is the organization just purely volunteer work? Or is it volunteer work, lectures given by guest speakers, and tons of other stuff too?

If it is the latter then classify it as hobbies/ecs not listed elsewhere like I did for amsa and premed organizations. If it is like vUSF where all you are doing is volunteering then list it as nonmedical volunteering.

and if the organizations are World Health organization and red cross how is it non medical??? Was it the specific role you had there that made it non medical? I'm confused.
 
Depends on what it is? Is the organization just purely volunteer work? Or is it volunteer work, lectures given by guest speakers, and tons of other stuff too?

If it is the latter then classify it as hobbies/ecs not listed elsewhere like I did for amsa and premed organizations. If it is like vUSF where all you are doing is volunteering then list it as nonmedical volunteering.

and if the organizations are World Health organization and red cross how is it non medical??? Was it the specific role you had there that made it non medical? I'm confused.

This kind of goes off that other person's question. I register people for the Bone Marrow Registry (have an active leadership position) and was wondering if that would be medical or non-medical volunteer work? My responsibilities are to explain who needs marrow, how the process works, help them with the forms, and cheek swabs.
 
You are not obliged to provide the contact information, but IMO it's a good idea if it's at all possible to squeeze it in with a bit of editing elsewhere. If it's not there, and an adcomm wants to know badly enough, they can google it and find out for themselves. (But why put them to unnecessary work if it's avoidable?)

I still feel like it medical schools really wanted to contact your Activities programs, they should just ask for email or phone number (like they do with the letter of recommendation people). It would have been very easy to provide and I was confused not to see them ask for this information. A experience description though is just that, the "opportunity to describe or summarize each experience" (as Amcas says).... you shouldn't be wasting it with phone numbers (I mean, I had room, but that just looks silly). Additionally, you shouldn't be making an entire description be contact information. That seems to be a student missing the point of what is asked of him or her. Maybe I should have added the contact info though.
 
This kind of goes off that other person's question. I register people for the Bone Marrow Registry (have an active leadership position) and was wondering if that would be medical or non-medical volunteer work? My responsibilities are to explain who needs marrow, how the process works, help them with the forms, and cheek swabs.

Except for the cheek swabs the rest seems non clinical. So I would put it as non clinical.

Anyhow the explanation will be evident of what it is to a reviewer when it goes to schools.
 
Is it ok to put "Until present" for activities that I'm not currently doing (since I'm home for the summer), but will resume in the fall when I return to school?
 
About how long is it taking everyone to fill this out in, say time per activity?

10 min? 20 min?

Just curious as I have to complete this tomorrow.
 
About how long is it taking everyone to fill this out in, say time per activity?

10 min? 20 min?

Just curious as I have to complete this tomorrow.

It took me about 15 days working a few hours each day. A large part of my time was spent writing up descriptions for my activities. If you've already got everything written out, then it's just a matter of putting it all in and you could do it in one day. I went over my entire application tons of times to make sure everything was right...the next day after I submitted I found out that I had placed a comma in the wrong place and didn't spell "executive" right. Luckily, they're not huge things but it's still annoying. I'd highly recommend going over your stuff several times.
 
Depends on what it is? Is the organization just purely volunteer work? Or is it volunteer work, lectures given by guest speakers, and tons of other stuff too?

If it is the latter then classify it as hobbies/ecs not listed elsewhere like I did for amsa and premed organizations. If it is like vUSF where all you are doing is volunteering then list it as nonmedical volunteering.

and if the organizations are World Health organization and red cross how is it non medical??? Was it the specific role you had there that made it non medical? I'm confused.

Sorry I mean to say medical! I guess I was confused because someone told me that all clubs go under EC/Hobbies since technically everything is an EC. So from what I understand the EC/Hobby section is just for things you couldn't fit into other slots?
 
Sorry I mean to say medical! I guess I was confused because someone told me that all clubs go under EC/Hobbies since technically everything is an EC. So from what I understand the EC/Hobby section is just for things you couldn't fit into other slots?

Yeah that's what I used it for. Although when I listed shadowing, that was in the true category called OTHER.

But organizations I listed as you stated you were told to do. However, some of them I listed the organization but categorized as volunteer non medical because it was more the focus on what volunteerism I did then the concept of the organization as an organization.
 
Yeah that's what I used it for. Although when I listed shadowing, that was in the true category called OTHER.

But organizations I listed as you stated you were told to do. However, some of them I listed the organization but categorized as volunteer non medical because it was more the focus on what volunteerism I did then the concept of the organization as an organization.

Ah ok, makes sense. Thank you! 😀
 
It took me about 15 days working a few hours each day. A large part of my time was spent writing up descriptions for my activities. If you've already got everything written out, then it's just a matter of putting it all in and you could do it in one day. I went over my entire application tons of times to make sure everything was right...the next day after I submitted I found out that I had placed a comma in the wrong place and didn't spell "executive" right. Luckily, they're not huge things but it's still annoying. I'd highly recommend going over your stuff several times.

It took you 30 hours!?

I'm not worried about errors as I can send to people and have them proofread.

I guess I don't have too many activities though, 5-7 max? I was hoping like 2 hours or so. That sounds absolutely brutal.

I can't imagine more than 30 min an activity though? right?
 
Is this way too in depth for a resarch experience description?

"This was a paid research experience. The project that I was working on investigated the effects of species dispersal on environmentally forced aquatic metacommunities (an aggregation of multiple ecological communities experiencing environmental constraints). Species dispersal is the movement of a species away from its origin. The project investigated the effects of species dispersal on metacommunity stability (spatial insurance effect). It has been suggested that low dispersal rates result in higher levels of metacommunity stability. As such, we initiated an experimental test of spatial insurance effect on community stability of a system composed of three competing species of zooplankton. The environmental constraints applied to the system were in the form of pH oscillations and a variation of dispersal treatments (treatments resulting in none, low or high dispersal rates). Plankton population dynamics were followed for 108 days.

I was primarily responsible for running chlorophyll-a analysis on collected samples. I was also responsible for the enumeration of species in samples collected on a biweekly basis. I also ensured that the proper environmental constraints were applied to the system. Lastly, I noted any trends that resulted from the applied environmental constraints on the system."
"
 
Last edited:
Hey everyone,

So I'm involved in a sport and our team won a national championship last year. Do you think it would be worth it to use two slots on this, one highlighting the individual & team awards I won, and then my role on the team?

Thanks,
bball
 
Also, I won a Goldwater Scholarship last year and was wondering what I should put in the description other than the fact I won it?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Also, I won a Goldwater Scholarship last year and was wondering what I should put in the description other than the fact I won it?

If goldwater scholarship is like some of these other programs where it is awarded in exchange for you to do research somewhere then you can mention what research you will be doing if you have not listed it elsewhere.

Otherwise just mention what you said and mention how competitive it is to get it. I know the people i've seen win it in the past are usually 4.0 40 kind of students from places like Harvard and Duke. So might want to mention how competitive it is for the small select few who might not realize it.
 
Is this way too in depth for a resarch experience description?

"This was a paid research experience. The project that I was working on investigated the effects of species dispersal on environmentally forced aquatic metacommunities (an aggregation of multiple ecological communities experiencing environmental constraints). Species dispersal is the movement of a species away from its origin. The project investigated the effects of species dispersal on metacommunity stability (spatial insurance effect). It has been suggested that low dispersal rates result in higher levels of metacommunity stability. As such, we initiated an experimental test of spatial insurance effect on community stability of a system composed of three competing species of zooplankton. The environmental constraints applied to the system were in the form of pH oscillations and a variation of dispersal treatments (treatments resulting in none, low or high dispersal rates). Plankton population dynamics were followed for 108 days.

I was primarily responsible for running chlorophyll-a analysis on collected samples. I was also responsible for the enumeration of species in samples collected on a biweekly basis. I also ensured that the proper environmental constraints were applied to the system. Lastly, I noted any trends that resulted from the applied environmental constraints on the system."
"
Consider an opening paragraph that a nonscience person can understand, then proceed as above. Something like: This paid research focused on the dispersal rates of three competing microscopic organisms due to variations in their environment.
 
Is it ok to put "Until present" for activities that I'm not currently doing (since I'm home for the summer), but will resume in the fall when I return to school?
I would put the last date you were involved and then add a note at the end of the narrative that you will resume the activity during the academic year. Otherwise you're giving a mistaken impression of summer involvement.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.