Great volunteering experience in NYC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dancing homer

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know of any good ones? PAVERS program at Bellevue? I hear volunteering at a clinic is awesome. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I voluntarily shadowed a dermatopathologist at Mt Sinai and did "journal research" and wrote a case report. I learned a lot and got two LORs out of it. :)

My uncle's brother works there so he arranged it for me, but I bet if you call some doctors you could get a shadowing postition or something similar.

Thanks foxy. Quick question, you went to brandeis and thats in Mass right? Mt Sinai in NYC? Howd you manage that?

Anybody else with any ideas? Also just wanted to share my experience with yall. This past weekend, went on rounds with a 3rd resident. Had a awesome time.

Members don't see this ad :)
•••quote:•••Originally posted by Dancing homer:
•Thanks foxy. Quick question, you went to brandeis and thats in Mass right? Mt Sinai in NYC? Howd you manage that?
•••••I spent the whole summer doing that internship and commuted from New Rochelle where my grandmother lives....It was fun waking up at 4:50am to catch the 6am bus to get there by 7 :rolleyes: Really, it was!

Hi DAncing Homer-

I live in NYC. You can do ANYTHING in NYC, it's really a matter of deciding among the choices. What are you interested in?

Right now, I do work for the NYC Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation (non-clinal) and I'm a volunteer EMT for the Central Park Medical Unit (well I haven't started yet, my first tour is in July).

Tell me about the rounds you went on..how did you get that?

-bonnie

Foxy, should of lived in the city. Nothing beats it!

Bonnie, I asked a family friend who so happens to be a 3rd resident in family medicine. That was in jersey so looking for something in the city. Howd you get involved in the EMT thing? I'm probably going to volunteer for the PAVER program at bellevue. Supposedly a good experience . ..

Can anyone tell me how many volunteer hours are considered ideal on the application? I am in my junior year and will start volunteering next week for four hours a week. Thanks!

Hey-

Why don't you PM or email me? I got my EMT certification last fall and I also live right by the park. SO it was an easy thing to get into CPMU. Let me know if you're interested in joining, it's a fun bunch of people and you get to hang out in central park all day and become an expert in cp geography. I haven't heard of the Bellvue program but I believe most hospitals do have a programs meant for getting pre-meds clincal exposure.

-b