Volunteering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluetree.

Reaction score
I am preparing to apply this cycle, however, I essentially have no volunteering hours done. According to my plan, I can get 150 hrs of clinical volunteering and 150 of nonclinical before I apply. Is this ok? Thoughts?

For clinical volunteering, I had already started at a free clinic about 6 months ago but only accumulated 30 hours.
Additionally, I have about 800 hours of paid clinical experience as an ED scribe. (but I know it doesn't count)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I mean we'll be able to tell you decided you needed volunteer hours before you applied in June.

Does this mean you won't get accepted? Depends on the rest of your app and the applicant pool.

You should do a WAMC thread.

Reactions: 2 users
I am preparing to apply this cycle, however, I essentially have no volunteering hours done. According to my plan, I can get 150 hrs of clinical volunteering and 150 of nonclinical before I apply. Is this ok? Thoughts?

For clinical volunteering, I had already started at a free clinic about 6 months ago but only accumulated 30 hours.
Additionally, I have about 800 hours of paid clinical experience as an ED scribe. (but I know it doesn't count)
Hey! some schools are more volunteer heavy than others, that's why it's important to have a good school list and do your research. If you have about 300 volunteering hours I would say that's fine as long as you have other paid clinical experience as well as other strong activities (maybe research, extracurriculars, paid work) that you can talk about in depth...

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

With that much clinical experience as a scribe, you don't need any clinical volunteering. Throw all your effort into non-clinical volunteering. The more the better!

Reactions: 3 users
Where is your plan?

150 hours is 3 hours a week over a year, so 300 hours is like committing 6 hours a week for a year.

It's March, and you have 3 months/12 weeks before applying in June. That's 25 hours per week, or 5 hours each day for the next 12 weeks.

So what are you doing 5 hours a day?

Where is your plan?

150 hours is 3 hours a week over a year, so 300 hours is like committing 6 hours a week for a year.

It's March, and you have 3 months/12 weeks before applying in June. That's 25 hours per week, or 5 hours each day for the next 12 weeks.

So what are you doing 5 hours a day?
Thank you for the reply.

The plan is:

4 hrs/day MTW at the free clinic. Total: 12 hrs/week.
4 hrs/day ThFriSat at Ronald Mcdonald/Food Bank Total: 12 hrs/week.

Reactions: 1 user