Greatest Challenge essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
N

Necr0sis445

I was wondering if talking about overcoming stuttering would be a good idea for my "greatest challenge" essay, or would I be shooting myself in the foot by doing so?

Members don't see this ad.

As long as you aren't going to stutter when they ask you about it in your interview...

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering if talking about overcoming stuttering would be a good idea for my "greatest challenge" essay, or would I be shooting myself in the foot by doing so?

Haven't you seen the stuttuttutututering guy on America's got Talent?

People are gonna love it.

lol, thankfully my stutter isn't that bad anymore. I just sometimes when i'm really nervous just make awkward pauses or do a lot of "ums, uuhs".

I have a similar question: There is a section on my secondary that asks "Describe any advantages and/or complications you encountered during your progression in education. Please include any noteworthy achievements and/or obstacles. (Examples: Acute or chronic illnesses, employment, financial difficulty, managerial role in household, etc.) (Don't exceed 150 words)"

Should I use this space to talk about how my speech impediment was an obstacle early on in my academic career and it effected my performance, or should I not make excuses? I know the prompt asks that, but sometimes I feel it's better not to make excuses.

lol, thankfully my stutter isn't that bad anymore. I just sometimes when i'm really nervous just make awkward pauses or do a lot of "ums, uuhs".

I have a similar question: There is a section on my secondary that asks "Describe any advantages and/or complications you encountered during your progression in education. Please include any noteworthy achievements and/or obstacles. (Examples: Acute or chronic illnesses, employment, financial difficulty, managerial role in household, etc.) (Don't exceed 150 words)"

Should I use this space to talk about how my speech impediment was an obstacle early on in my academic career and it effected my performance, or should I not make excuses? I know the prompt asks that, but sometimes I feel it's better not to make excuses.

I used to share an office with a speech/language pathologist when I worked in an elementary school. The little ones (K-2) with speech issues always also had trouble reading too. If you are talking about early childhood education I'd include it but unless you were also diagnosed with dyslexia or are simply referring to self esteem issues, don't use it as an excuse for bad grades in college!

Last edited:
I used to share an office with a speech/language pathologist when I worked in an elementary school. The little ones (K-2) with speech issues always also had trouble reading too. If you are talking about early childhood education I'd include it but unless you were also diagnosed with dyslexia or are simply referring to self esteem issues, don't use it as an excuse for bad grades in college!

Well I did go to speech therapists and I did actually have a stutter. Early in my undergrad I was so self conscious and terrified of attending class that I skipped class, and just stopped going. I got a lot of bad grades from doing that. It was stupid, but it happened. I was just wondering if this section would be a good opportunity to mention that. However, with 150 words, I don't think there is enough room to explain myself enough.

Well I did go to speech therapists and I did actually have a stutter. Early in my undergrad I was so self conscious and terrified of attending class that I skipped class, and just stopped going. I got a lot of bad grades from doing that. It was stupid, but it happened. I was just wondering if this section would be a good opportunity to mention that. However, with 150 words, I don't think there is enough room to explain myself enough.

I would say that then. Since you are so limited on word count, I think you could simply state that you were so self conscious that it began affecting you academically and then move right on to what you did to overcome it. People get that so you don't really need to explain all the details.

Reactions: 1 user