Greedy Dentists....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fourpointohoh

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi ya'll,

I recently had a conversation with a few of my pre-med friends on the topic of doctors vs. dentists. They told me that the wide-spread opinion on dentists is that they are "greedy-doctors", kind of along the line of plastic surgeons. They said that basically, most of what dentists do is cosmetic work and that they aren't interested in actual "healing".

Hmmmmmmmmmmm..... yes, I know this is a recurring subject-- the rivalry between the MD's, DO's, and DDS/DMD's. Sorry to bring it up again. I just have huge issues with this "widespread" opinion that doctors have about dentists.

For instance, I think the dental education system is "smart" in that you don't have to go to medical school for 4 years and then "specialize" in dentistry. Because in reality, dentists are teeth doctors. Somehow in history, dentists were able to have their own schools. How unique!

I compare this to the "unfairness" that exists in becoming a psychiatrist. Why do you need to go to medical school for 4 years and then do a psychiatric residency if the only thing "extra" that you can provide to your patients versus a psychologist is drugs. But, really... this is a different subject...

Sorry about going off on a tangent... but really... what do ya'll think about this whole thing.... ?

--4.oo

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

"the wide-spread opinion"

Be careful when you base any judgment or decision on one person's "informed" opinion. Maybe the top of the bell curve on MD's opinion of Dentists is there as you stated. However, I would be more willing to bet that there is considerable spread. Most mature/rational people are happy doing what they enjoy doing and happy that others are happing doing what they enjoy. People who create MD/Dentist "rivalries" are most likely the same people who won't talk to their plumber cause they are blue collar.

more days are missed from work or school to go to the dentist than the doctor. Most of these visits are because the patient is in pain. Dentists are the major users of local anesthetic and we Rx tons of pain medication. WE GET PEOPLE OUT OF PAIN. There is nothing wrong with cosmetic procedures. a person with tetracycline staining or enamel hypoplasia deserves to have that condition treated even if some would lable it as cosmetic. people with peg laterals or congenitally missing teeth deserve to have those teeth repaired or replaced. Is this cosmetic or healing??? I think it's both. Many MD's don't have a clue about the mouth and teeth. It is a whole different world to them. Worse a pre-med student, they don't even have a thorough understanding of the human body. I remember in College the Anatomy and Phys. class is cool, but it is nothing like what you will learn in dental school and med school. Wait 'til you learn it first then make judgements. Don't worry about what they say.