Green valley (az) hospital saves 1 million on CRNAs (it says)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I did - specifically asked if there was going to be an anesthesiologist and was told yes.

Same thing happened at Mass General - they did the intake prior to surgery (not cosmetic in this case) - and they told me I would have a CRNA. I was like umm no,I want an Anesthesiologist - i will not have a CRNA under any circumstance. The CRNA boss lady who did the intake tried to convience me that they were essentially the same. It took all my professional courtesy to say, um no, no thanks, no CRNA. Period.

I would totally request MD only from an ACT practice.....if I knew the docs. My biggest fear if I didn’t know them is that I would get some lazy old dinosaur attending who hasn’t intubated in 20 years and who stares at an alaris pump like it’s a control panel on a nuclear submarine.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
This article came across my news feed. Apparently the hospital is going with CRNAS to save 1 million dollars per year. What is particularly interesting is that az is not an opt out state so either they have one lone anesthesiologist or the surgeons are on the hook. I would think either way this is particulary shortsighted. More interesting is the fact that this is not the boondocks. Its 30 mins from tucson.

The hospital admins. are decribing CRNAs erroneously saying they do a 3-4 year residency. THat is alternative facts if i ever heard them.

And even if you were going with this to save money, why would you announce that?

Here is the article.GV hospital sued; doctors group claims unpaid bills

GO 1/2way down the page they will start talking about additional ways the hospital is saving money
Hospitals are going with CRNAs because of a physician shortage, the executive lied as he failed to pay perfectly available and willing physicians per their contract.

Reactions: 1 users