Coursework & Fieldwork Gross anatomy cadavers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gina2493

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know most programs use cadavers for their gross anatomy class, and so does mine and I'm so nervous!

Anyone who's been through this class already have any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you nervous about the cadavers? I took gross anatomy with a cadaver lab during my undergrad (and i'll be taking it again this summer during OT school). Don't be too nervous! I think you get used to it quickly, but I was also nervous my first time in the lab. I would recommend eating beforehand because the chemicals used to preserve the cadavers release fumes that in my case made me nauseous / lightheaded on an empty stomach (your lab should have vents that suck the majority of these fumes out btw so it's not overwhelming). When you took anatomy / physiology did you dissect cats / animal organs? If so, once you pull back the skin it all looks the same. If it's not an ick factor and more so you're nervous about being around a once living human I think we can take comfort in knowing they volunteered to donate their body for science. It's a unique experience. Haha I don't know if I'm helping.

Also, in my case the head/face (and genitals) were covered until we began that section.

Ye
Are you nervous about the cadavers? I took gross anatomy with a cadaver lab during my undergrad (and i'll be taking it again this summer during OT school). Don't be too nervous! I think you get used to it quickly, but I was also nervous my first time in the lab. I would recommend eating beforehand because the chemicals used to preserve the cadavers release fumes that in my case made me nauseous / lightheaded on an empty stomach (your lab should have vents that suck the majority of these fumes out btw so it's not overwhelming). When you took anatomy / physiology did you dissect cats / animal organs? If so, once you pull back the skin it all looks the same. If it's not an ick factor and more so you're nervous about being around a once living human I think we can take comfort in knowing they volunteered to donate their body for science. It's a unique experience. Haha I don't know if I'm helping.

Also, in my case the head/face (and genitals) were covered until we began that section.
Yeah I'm kind of freaking out lol. I took a&p in undergrad and we did the animal dissections and it was pretty awesome lol. In high school I also dissected a fetal pig and other stuff which I was totally fine with. I hope the face is covered but I know once we get to that section it'll be pretty surreal lol. That actually does help, that it's pretty much all the same once the skin is pulled back. I suppose I'll just tell myself that and maybe it'll help! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Some people are more squamish than others but everyone gets over it. Remember that the body is donated so that professionals can learn in the best way possible- for your benefit. It's pretty fascinating to be able to see what the inside looks like. Enjoy it and have fun.

Smell bothered me. Put a bit of vicks near nostrils (not in nostril).

Mechanic gloves. The black ones from home depot work well enough. Didn't smell much from my hand after class. Vinyl is pointless.

This is why I'm not donating my body to science...

I know most programs use cadavers for their gross anatomy class, and so does mine and I'm so nervous!

I would definitely suggest eating beforehand. A few times I would leave class and not have an appetite all day, not so much because of the sight but the smell of formaldehyde. But it's a great experience! We worked on cadavers for A&P 1 and 2 at my undergrad university, and I got so much more out of it than from just a textbook.

Smell bothered me. Put a bit of vicks near nostrils (not in nostril).

Mechanic gloves. The black ones from home depot work well enough. Didn't smell much from my hand after class. Vinyl is pointless.
that's a great tip i'll definitely get those!

I would definitely suggest eating beforehand. A few times I would leave class and not have an appetite all day, not so much because of the sight but the smell of formaldehyde. But it's a great experience! We worked on cadavers for A&P 1 and 2 at my undergrad university, and I got so much more out of it than from just a textbook.
oh wow, I hope it eventually got better for you. I only have ever worked on animals, so this is definitely making me apprehensive. i'm sure i'll get over it after a few weeks though

I wonder if myprogram has it. Do most programs have it? Looking at the course sequence I don't see any gross anatomy class:(

I wonder if myprogram has it. Do most programs have it? Looking at the course sequence I don't see any gross anatomy class:(
Most OT curriculums I have looked over while applying started with gross anatomy - or it might just be called anatomy.

Also, I agree that the gloves provided made your hands smell all day so if you can bring your own that's great. I would ask beforehand because there typically are strict rules about what can go in and out of the cadaver lab due to contamination. Once you get used to everything it is actually a fun and amazing experience. If you're especially nervous you can google anatomy cadaver labs and look at images /videos so you get a feel for what to expect. It actually isn't nightmare inducing or anything haha. Also, in my undergrad lab we didn't dissect ourselves - a dissector did that after lab as we moved through regions of the body. I'm not sure if it's the same in an OT program.

yeah i'm pretty sure every program I've looked at has this class. some programs I've seen use computer simulations instead of cadavers though.

@SUNYOT2017 i'm hoping that all the dissecting is actually done and all we have to do is navigate and whatnot lol