gross anatomy help + naming ligaments

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baylor1989

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
not sure if this is right part of forum, anyways shoot-

is there a rule to naming in gross... how do you know (beside memorizing) what goes first and what word goes second? for example, why is it called acromioclavicular ligament versus clavicularacromioal (lol, you get the point) ligament?

also, is there any good gross posts on here? or any good website for gross?

Members don't see this ad.

for me it was a language thing - clavicularacromial just sounds wrong. I didn't spend a lot of time in the lab, but it might help you with stuff like this, just hearing people say these names over and over.

http://anatomy.med.umich.edu/ is pretty cool.

Often times you will find that ligaments (as well as the muscles and joints associated with them) will be named according to their origin and insertion points. For example: the acromioclavicular ligament originates at the acromion process of the scapula and attaches to the clavicle. This can be used as a general rule of thumb; however all muscle/joint/ligament complexes may not follow this trend. This used to really help me for both my gross and mammalian anatomy classes. Best wishes!