Gross teeth!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coral2005

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I finally brought home all the teeth I was supposed to collect (about 100 of them) and had them in a plastic jar soaking in a bleach solution on a shelf in the laundry closet. My husband was taking something out of the closet today and knocked over the jar of teeth, which happened to fall on the floor on top of an unused bag of dog kibble. Poor dogs. I'm still giving them the kibble, because the liquid never soaked to the inside of the bag.

But the smell was horrible!! They smelled like dirty swimming pool water mixed with the worst breath you can imagine. I can't wait to get rid of these things.

I really can't take looking at them much longer. I mean, all together like that, they really can look gross. I never had a problem looking at teeth INSIDE people's mouths. Looking at dozens of rotten teeth together in a little jar is making me sick.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Coral,
Yeah I have the same issue here, like three plastic jars filled with teeth...and one jar specifically for the worst...the rotting and brown decaying ones (got them from the periodontist of course). Its kind of sick but I understand we are going to learn a lot from them hopefully. Not sure if we will be using them this first semester in the fall but yeah, people I live with think I'm a weirdo for having three jars in a shoebox filled with teeth. Sorry to hear about the mishap, and poor doggies. See you in a couple weeks...

For those of you taking your jars with you on airplanes... will they stop you at the security gate for that reason?

Members don't see this ad :)
My dad brought me some from another country. He checked them in his bag and had no problem that way. I'm not sure what they'd ask you if they showed up in the x-ray inside your carryon. If they do, I'm sure you could just show them the letter/email that your school sent you justifying the extracted teeth. I can't imagine it would be a problem as long as you can explain.

This whole situation is so bizzare. lol.

after a few months in bleach they will be okay.

Maybe you should brush them :D

This post makes me laugh. Just get ready because you guys are going to treating some of the most foul smelling people on this planet...and those teeth they are attached to. Welcome to the profession! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:( I can't wait.

xTonEx said:
For those of you taking your jars with you on airplanes... will they stop you at the security gate for that reason?

I certainly hope they stop you. Technically, you are transporting an organ, and that is not allowed. As for trying to make the teeth not stink, I recommend that you soak them in pure bleach (not water+bleach) and change the bleach often. Truthfully, the only way to truly get rid of the odor would be to get rid of all decay (which causes an odor), remove all pulpal tissue (dead or rotting tissue stinks), and remove all calculus (which houses bacteria and bacterial debris).

If you think rotten teeth smell, wait until you enter clinic!!!!! :eek: :laugh: :D

So how do we transport our teeth across country?

xTonEx said:
So how do we transport our teeth across country?

Technically, transporting organs on airplanes is illegal unless you have been given special federal government permission. Likewise, transporting organs across state lines (even by private car) is also illegal.

Luckily, 99.99% of law enforcement does not realize that teeth are technically considered organs.

Just so you don't freak anyone out, I suggest you store your teeth in a leak-proof, shatter-proof, and dark jar that is clearly labeled "human teeth." Also, on that label, advise of germs (while trying not to raise alarm in anyone reading the label). The liquid should be 10 parts water to 1 part household bleach (at least the last time that I checked). Also, call the CDC and have them fax you a copy of their guidelines for transporting teeth (that sheet of paper should have the correct proportions of bleach to water). Keep this sheet on you at all times. Also, keep a copy of your acceptance letter from a dental school with the statement that you should collect teeth. This shows that you are entering dental school soon, that you are required to collect teeth, and that you are following CDC guidelines. You can also make copies of those papers for the dentist offices that you request teeth from.

Also, check with your school. Some schools do not require you to bring teeth if you are coming from out of state and some schools do not require you to turn in teeth until 2nd year. Thus, you can collect teeth from local dentists during your first year of dental school.

Storing them in straight bleach (not diluted with water) is gonna seriously kill the bugs and would possibly help with odor. However, straight bleach might make the teeth brittle and not worth working on. Thus, to solve the problem of odor and brittleness, do the following: clean off the calculus and attached soft or excess hard (ie bone) tissue from the teeth (making sure you dispose of the debris in a biohazard receptacle at the dentist's office), then place the teeth in diluted bleach and change the liquid every week. Remember, after a certain amount of time, diluted bleach loses its germicidal action.

Was this more than you wanted to know? :sleep:

No.. It was very helpful. Thank you!!! :)