Group interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fakesmile

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In a few days, I'll be having a group interview for an orientation leader position at school. I don't know what to expect. I've never had such an interview before. I also lack general interview experience. I'm really bad at it. The thing that makes interviews really hard for me is the language (I'm ESL and still struggling with it) and my shy personality.. This is the worst combination ever. I really would like to ace the interview.

Would going over answers to potential questions help? But I have this nightmare where I was told by an interviewer that my answers sounded rehearsed and then I got rejected. I don't want to make that happen again. But it's still difficult mainly because of the language. Any advice would be appreciated (except the common ones like "Just be yourself.")!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I personally think group interview is a dehumanizing experience. group with other interviewee that is.

I remember my first group interview, totally non medical related but still quite intimidating. Its very hard for someone to speak first because you're always afraid someone might take what you've said and make it better. I'm used to them now since everything at my school seems to require a group interview these days.

Members don't see this ad :)
do medical schools do group interviews? i really ***king hate it

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
I personally think group interview is a dehumanizing experience. group with other interviewee that is.
agreed

UCONN does..I'm sure some others do as well

but to anwser the OP's question, I think re-hearsing is a good idea. I like to have a general idea of what i want to say when asked a certain question, but I try to prevent myself from becoming like a robot. What i did was just take a general question (such as why school X, or in your situation, possibly why this position) and figure out what I really wanted to get across with my anwser. I never wrote it down, that helped me make sure I wasn't ever saying the exact same words, and thus preventing sounding too rehearsed..

hope it helps, good luck :thumbup:

In a few days, I'll be having a group interview for an orientation leader position at school. I don't know what to expect. I've never had such an interview before. I also lack general interview experience. I'm really bad at it. The thing that makes interviews really hard for me is the language (I'm ESL and still struggling with it) and my shy personality.. This is the worst combination ever. I really would like to ace the interview.

Would going over answers to potential questions help? But I have this nightmare where I was told by an interviewer that my answers sounded rehearsed and then I got rejected. I don't want to make that happen again. But it's still difficult mainly because of the language. Any advice would be appreciated (except the common ones like "Just be yourself.")!

All you can do is all you can do! So, try approaching this interview with your strengths... Your ability is to relate to other ESL students.

Show the committee your passion for the position and let them know that you're nervous because of a minor language barrier... But, you felt that is so important for incoming ESL's to see that there is indeed a chance to succeed at your school, as an ESL, that you would be an asset to their program. I was a three-time orientation leader and can honestly tell you we were looking for heart, and role models, as much as someone who could answer every question correctly. Good Luck - Just be yourself...

These orientation leader interviews aren't really supposed to be formal. Maybe look over the information on their website and have a general idea of what you plan on saying, however, for these sorts of things, it's more important that you be able to keep a conversation going than discussing your interests or background.

I've sat around these kinds of interviews for clubs and activities and I would say that those who are good at talking and presenting themselves almost always get the position over someone who is more knowledgeable but not very animated or talkative. It's unfortunate, but look at it this way: the orientation leader is supposed to be energetic and peppy. Someone who is introspective and has to rehearse and use cue cards to answer questions from their peers would not function well under pressure.

If you are having problems handling these sorts of things, I suggest that you go over to your career center and try to ask them for mock interviews. Otherwise, I suggest that you join more clubs and activities to improve you social skills. The bottom line is that these sorts of interpersonal skills are absolutely vital once you start interviewing for medical school or interviewing for jobs after you graduate. If you're struggling with an interview for an orientation leader position, I cannot imagine how you would be able to handle a medical school or residency interview down the line.

it would definitely help. have you ever watched yourself in the mirror and rehearsed what you would say to a girl/guy you were interested in? it's so cliche and stupid sounding, but it works a lot better than stammering and saying something that comes out wrong.

my first group interview (job at the mall...10 other people...went around in a circle for all our answers...surprisingly nerve wracking because you could tell who had the best answers. i aced it OF COURSE ;) ) i rehearsed what i thought they would ask and tried to make it sound genuine and off-the-cuff. put some "ums..well, you know..." and things like that in there and it SOUNDS like you're thinking it through, even if you've gone over it 100 times. :)

Ack. Disagree, with all due respect. Unless you've got some real acting experience, I wouldn't try to memorize my way through a script in a second language. You've got to learn to react, not act to get through these.

As above, I'd try to do some mock interviews to get yourself ready for this. If your school has some formal mock interview program, great. If not, just have someone ask you questions. Don't limit yourself to expected questions, the crazier the better. How do you respond if I ask you which you'd rather be, an elephant or a giraffe? You've got to be able to think on your feet and master the anxiety.

For the record, Madison also did group interviews in addition to the one-on-one. It was really low key, kind of a Q & A session with a couple of students. Don't make these harder than they have to be.

yeah i see where you're coming from. i do have a good deal of acting exp so it's a plus for interviews. i love interviews. i wish admission was completely based on it.

That makes sense. I've spent a fair amount of time on and around stage myself. For you and I (and those familiar with Sandy Meisner) you can totally make the rehearsal strategy work, if that's the route you want to go. Acting is 90% reacting, after all :)

• eye contact
  • give your full attention to anyone that is speaking (even if you think what they are saying is dumb or unrelated)
  • Really listen to the question asked by the interviewer. Nothing is worse than someone's tangent that is unrelated to the question. Think: who wants a doctor who doesn't listen?
  • It's okay to pause and gather yourself before answering. Might help with your shyness issue.
  • Nothing wrong with having a general idea of what you want to say. Rehearsing is not bad. Memorizing is.
  • If you are a lady, please don't cross your legs in your skirt. Tacky and can be distracting. Those skirts can get really short. Cross at the ankle. Sorry I guess this was a bit of etiquette.
  • Keep your answers short, but descriptive. Some questions require longer answers. Just be aware of what is acceptable.
  • If you have a chance introduce yourself to the interviewers. It might help you connect with them and calm youself

ive had only 1 group interview in college so far. it was for a mentoring position

i didn't take it seriously in terms of preparation, but that probably helped me. i went in not nervous at all and it was fun (the only prep i think is necessary is knowing exactly what was on your application/resume and being able to talk about anything on there intelligently). if you consider yourself proficient at thinking on your feet, you'll be fine. you likely wont hear many tough questions you have not heard before; you just have to maybe frame it uniquely [like weaving short anecdotes into your response] so you dont sound like everyone else. you just want to come across as someone who has experience with working with different types of people and personalities, experience with conflict resolution, etc. it's also good to be friendly, chipper, all that good stuff as long as it's genuine.

is there a way to find out besides calling? i've tried searching here but no luck

The MSAR also displays this information--in the column to the left of the average MCAT/GPA.

Off the top of my head, Northwestern is one of the few schools I can think of that have group interviews.

Northwestern (Feinberg) does as well. While it was going on it was okay, but when I thought about it afterward it seemed to me like my interviewers learned much less about me than in the individual interviews.

Relax

Speak

Let it flow like dihydrogen monoxide.

Relax

Speak

Let it flow like dihydrogen monoxide.
DHMO!!! OH NO. dangerous stuff, i hear. lol did you hear of the prank that caused quite a scare to radio listeners?