group interviews???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spyyder31

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why is it that some schools use a group interview approach. I mean, the kind where there are about three applicants interviewed at once in front of a panel. Wouldn't this create some unnecessary competitiveness? What do the people who have gone through this think?
Also, if you're like me, you are going to "want" a little personal time to explain some things on your application. Sure, you "can" do it in a group interview, but wouldn't;t you feel a little short changed?
This group interview process was explained to me by a school rep. If there is ALSO 1 on 1 interviews available at such schools, then I guess what I was saying is useless and I apologize...but the rep. never said anything about 1 on 1 interviews. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Chuck,

I can tell you my experience with a panel interview at Touro last year.

One reason for group interviews, as explained to us interviewees by the Director of Admissions, is to see how well you communicate in front of your peers. If you receive an interview, they are already strongly interested in you. So you shouldn't feel you have to explain something in particular to increase your chances. I suppose you can theoretically always add something at the end when they ask if you have any questions, but it wouldn't be appropriate at that time to finally talk about the bad part of your application when they didn't even bring it up.

The questions in the panel format are not meant to ask anyone embarrasing questions, but instead only highlight or ask you to explain a good part of your application. It's just conversation. They do NOT ask you the same questions as the next student, to see who can get the right answer, for example. It's not a competition with the next student. Instead, they'll ask you about you, and what you did, and what are your strengths, etc.

I personally liked the group interview, in retrospect, because I actually had less questions than in a traditional one-on-one interview. The pressure was self-created rather than actual, because you keep thinking with each question presented, "How would I answer that if they ask me that next?"

Dagny,
Thanks a bunch!!
By the way, How do you like TURO??