Group work - AACK!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SCCpharm

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's somewhat of a rant and a discussion about group work. Now, I have a feeling group work will be important in pharmacy school b/c the schools that I interviewed both had P1 students placed into large groups that last throughout pharmacy school. What do you guys feel about group work?? Honestly, my first reaction is "AACK..". I really dread and dislike group work. I'll admit though, I go to a community college and it just seems like most of the students don't care about their grades. Anyways, I'm remaining optimistic and hoping I get in a good group for pharmacy school.

Anyone care to share some of your worst group work experiences? I'd like to share some of my group work experiences:

I'm just finishing Orgo II semester. A day in our lab went basically like this: My lab partner watches me do the whole lab, then when I go get some reagents, she grabs my lab report, opens it up and starts copying my notes (we are graded on our notes) and then when we...I mean I am done doing the lab, she volunteers to turn in the lab reports and product. She also did not know how to weigh our products in the beginning of the semester.

I was also in a biology group where our semester project was to do an experiment with 1 independent variable and 1 dependent variable. My group did not understand the importance of having a "control group". And they also wanted to test 10 variables at once. One guy said the more variables we have, the more impressive the report will be.

I was in a film class where we had to do a presentation on a film director and answer various questions about the director. Well, we basically never met up to talk about the project due to conflicting time schedules. The day the presentation was due, I couldn't get a hold of anyone. So, I basically typed up the report the night before. I came to class and my group was like "OMG what are we going to do??? We don't have anything done.... You typed out our presentation?? sweet, thanks!!"

Well, thats among the many reasons why I kinda hate group work. When I was working on my bachelor's, I'll admit, it wasn't that bad. But there's always that person thats in it just for the ride and volunteers to type up the reports or something, while the rest of the group does the meat of the project.

And then theres always that person with the 2.0 gpa or the person that never comes to class, that insists on contributing to the group by doing the most important part of the project or the part thats the most points.

Sometimes I feel like everything has to be a comprise between the smart students and the idiots. I swear, if math was ever done in group projects it would go something like this:

Project: Solve 2 + 2

group member #1: I think it equals 4.
group member #2: No, I think its 5.

Turned in project: 2 + 2 = 4.5

Members don't see this ad.

Group work should always be discouraged. Nobody's schedule ever matches up. What always happens is one person does all the work and three people get to attach their names to it.

Members don't see this ad :)
group work sucks everywhere

A big part of healthcare is being able to work with others...and play nice... No matter what setting you get into, you won't get away from groups.

A big part of healthcare is being able to work with others...and play nice... No matter what setting you get into, you won't get away from groups.

Exactly...

Many pharmacy specialties involve working with other people in groups who may not just be pharmacists. Get used to it guys.......

Group work should always be discouraged. Nobody's schedule ever matches up. What always happens is one person does all the work and three people get to attach their names to it.

That is sooo true.. !! Unfortunately I was the one who had to do all the work cuz no one cared about their grades..!:(
Im hoping I will get a different experience from pharmacy school and hopefully improve my skills in working in a group... because working in groups is so crucial.. not just in the pharmacy profession but in any profession!

I've had both good and bad experiences. I've had the I do work we get credit experience, but I've had some that turned out rather well.

GChem, 50/50. Had good lab partner 2nd semester, individual reports, shared labor.

Intro to physics, 1 lab report each week, instructor allowed for rotation of lab report author. I do report one week, lab partner did lab report the next week. We both were always on top of it.

Analytical we both did work, shared notes, individual reports.

Expository writing in natural sciences. Group of 4. Three that know what we were doing and some poor kid who wants to help but has no clue what he's doing. Everyone does their part, I'm up to 6am burning the wick at both ends getting everyones piece of the report together and doing last minute stitchwork to make sure everything goes together smoothly. (Transitions between sections, tenses, superscripts coincide with references throughout etc). Overall not bad. (I wouldn't have trusted anyone else with that job anyway)

Biochem, my favorite actually. Group of 2. Share work, lab partner has stuff come up so I pick up slack for a little bit, no biggee. Lab partners are required to detail their contribution to the lab report and sign. This way if someone is intentionally slacking the other lab partner(s) can trash them if need be.

Most recently cell physiology. Me, two pre-meds, some undergrad taking his first upper-division science, and another pre-pharm. Two pre-pharms and two pre-meds rock lab. Then, the other pre-pharm has a death in the family and skips a couple weeks. Odd man out wants to help with the lab report. Send a copy for review and it looks like some bio 100 style report. So I make suggestions and he submits a second draft. I make a few more suggestions (pet project now) and now he pretty much cuts and pastes into his section. Finally we bring everything together and I pretty much have to redo the whole thing trying to maintain integrity of his original thoughts. (You can probably tell I get possessive of projects, but I do keep everyone in the loop and all changes were approved by the group before finalized into final draft.)

Overall the trend has been, those that were pre-professional students tend to know what they're doing and get things done. Those that didn't know what they wanted to do and were just going through the motions tended to slack off or not participate. Given the trend I'd think that for the most part (always allowing for exceptions) groups in pharm school probably won't be that bad.

Exactly...

Many pharmacy specialties involve working with other people in groups who may not just be pharmacists. Get used to it guys.......

The difference, though, is that there is professional accountability and structure in group projects in practice. There often is neither in academic groups.

I had a group experience this year that taught me that I will press either for someone to be elected group leader and accept responsibility for the project getting completed by assigning tasks or I'll elect myself and become the taskmaster. :)

My general feeling about school groups is that they make things easier for faculty because they have to grade fewer projects. From a student perspective, though, with the time spent by the group trying to reach consensus, it would have been quicker just to do the darned thing individually.

The difference, though, is that there is professional accountability and structure in group projects in practice. There often is neither in academic groups.

I had a group experience this year that taught me that I will press either for someone to be elected group leader and accept responsibility for the project getting completed by assigning tasks or I'll elect myself and become the taskmaster. :)

My general feeling about school groups is that they make things easier for faculty because they have to grade fewer projects. From a student perspective, though, with the time spent by the group trying to reach consensus, it would have been quicker just to do the darned thing individually.

Agreed that there is a big difference. In a class there is little flexability to say "person X didn't do their job so the project didn't get done" In healthcare, people can be held accountable with their job/license etc for holding out. In a school group if one person doesn't hold their weight they can get through anyway. in a job if a person doesn't do their job they can be fired.

Even so I don't think schools want to pump out people that are not "socialized" for hte positions since most jobs their students will take involve a team work approach.