I can work cheaper

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tlh908

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear pre pharmer,

Pharmacy has entered the hunger games mode, it will be a fight for every job and position in pharmacy. The new grads think they will be able to work cheaper than the old timers but that will not happen. As a new grad you will have big student loans to pay, housing to buy and retirement to start. The established workers will have you beat. We have our student loans paid off, housing paid off and retirement plans have grown. Lets compare expenses:

new grad - housing =2200/month, student loans =2000 month, retirement = 1000 month.
Old timers - housing = 800/month (property tax), student loans = 0, retirement = 0.

While a new grad needs 120k/year to get their middle class lifestyle I can have a better lifestyle on 80k/year. We will get those jobs you want by undercutting your salary demands.

Plus we have the intangibles, a large network and experience to keep employed.

Good luck trying to force us out of pharmacy!

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 11 users
Dear pre pharmer,

Pharmacy has entered the hunger games mode, it will be a fight for every job and position in pharmacy. The new grads think they will be able to work cheaper than the old timers but that will not happen. As a new grad you will have big student loans to pay, housing to buy and retirement to start. The established workers will have you beat. We have our student loans paid off, housing paid off and retirement plans have grown. Lets compare expenses:

new grad - housing =2200/month, student loans =2000 month, retirement = 1000 month.
Old timers - housing = 800/month (property tax), student loans = 0, retirement = 0.

While a new grad needs 120k/year to get their middle class lifestyle I can have a better lifestyle on 80k/year. We will get those jobs you want by undercutting your salary demands.

But new grads can survive on noodle cups, you old timers can't lol.

Reactions: 1 users
Dear pre pharmer,

I am not sure how long you have been an rph, but your thoughts on racing to the bottom versus new grads is very, very saddening. While what you state is very doable, the fact that any rph would be willing to undercut a new grad salary for any reason is quite frankly, outrageous.

It is this type of attitude on compensation that lends itself to poor treatment in this industry.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is the opposite of what I imagine an old timer would say. Most old timers I know are going to keep their $65-70/hr job for at long as possible. None of them are going to take a new job for $45-50/hr.

Reactions: 2 users
There is (are?)a fair cohort of ancients who weren't the brightest over the years..(time share...big boat etc. divorces..sending a kid to phcy skool) and are now in an "interesting" situation.....The mid-career types (house..kidz..colleges) would seem to be in a scarier situation....but who knows?

Reactions: 1 user
There is (are?)a fair cohort of ancients who weren't the brightest over the years..(time share...big boat etc. divorces..sending a kid to phcy skool) and are now in an "interesting" situation.....The mid-career types (house..kidz..colleges) would seem to be in a scarier situation....but who knows?

LoL it amazes me how many people own timeshares and boats. I see so many boats that require repairs for sale, and people are still interested.

LoL it amazes me how many people own timeshares and boats. I see so many boats that require repairs for sale, and people are still interested.
Ya know the old saying..,.If it fly's ...Ahem.....or floats.......rent it....

I keeping my > $67/hr (what I started with in 2014) until I get right-sized.

I'd only work cheaper with a corresponding decrease in responsibility

Reactions: 3 users
I keeping my > $67/hr (what I started with in 2014) until I get right-sized.

I'd only work cheaper with a corresponding decrease in responsibility

70$/hr for 40 hours 11200$ per month is not bad... what are people really complaining about

I'm not complaining. It's people getting 32 or fewer hours a week and being paid sub-60 or even sub-50

The way you deal with old timers who are protective about their $70/hr salaries is to give them fewer and fewer hours. Drop it down to 24 hrs/week and you're already at $78k. 16 hours a week and you're down to $52k. Either way, there are mechanisms to pay employees however you as a company want regardless of tenure. Add to the fact that pharmacy is the only "doctorate" profession where the more you work the LESS valuable you become (because a desperate new grad will tolerate more abuse and count by 5's faster than you) and any debate to justify pharmacist pay will go out the window.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some of us old timers know our way around a pharmacy pretty well. I see the new kids come in and struggle with workflow. I look for them to make a small fatal mistake and then report them to LP. The new kids don't last long.

• Wow
  • Haha
Would you still get health insurance at those hours?

Depends on what you get as "base" hours at WM. 56 hrs and 48 hrs per pay period as salaried employees are possible outside of California

Some of us old timers know our way around a pharmacy pretty well. I see the new kids come in and struggle with workflow. I look for them to make a small fatal mistake and then report them to LP. The new kids don't last long.
Not sure how long you've been a pharmacist but you may have graduated way before the pharmacist oath was created.

If you've taken this oath to be a pharmacist, you are in violation of the last point.

"I will utilize my knowledge, skills, experiences, and values to prepare the next generation of pharmacists."

• Dislike
I bet you are fun at parties there "908".....I've worked with numbskulls like you...generally ended up inviting them to go flour their (your body part here).......naff off

Not sure how long you've been a pharmacist but you may have graduated way before the pharmacist oath was created.

If you've taken this oath to be a pharmacist, you are in violation of the last point.

"I will utilize my knowledge, skills, experiences, and values to prepare the next generation of pharmacists."

The problem is there is no overlap and no mentoring, the chains have cut all that. What do you do when you hear about newbies leaving the pharmacy with the safe door open? Or blindly trusting a technician to check in the controls? The newbies are to concerned about being behind workflow to care about security. Pharmacists like that need booted. They want the job, then do it right.

At some point you gotta look out for #1...

At some point you gotta look out for #1...

"I will consider the welfare of humanity and relief of suffering my primary concerns" - through activism on SDN, I hope to improve the welfare of prepharms and relief them of suffering from $200k+ debt and unemployment by steering them away from this profession.

Reactions: 4 users
Dear pre pharmer,

I am shocked you would discount yourself and your hard-earned experience and skill set like this :(

$15/hr. Beat that. (I'm joking.)

• Angry
Pharmacy is not getting better, especially not with AI. Being a pharmacy tech who can mix IV's for a big hospital will be more rewarding than a pharmacist with $300K in student loans soon.

Pharmacy is not getting better, especially not with AI. Being a pharmacy tech who can mix IV's for a big hospital will be more rewarding than a pharmacist with $300K in student loans soon.

So how long have you been working as a pharmacist? What is the minimum hourly rate you would work for?

Dear pre pharmer,

I am not going to lie. I enjoy your argument! But I am a new grad and think I may be able to compete with you on income!

Me - housing = 125/month (currently live in paid off vehicle), student loans = 0 a month (I am well under the federal poverty rate and my student loan payment has been at zero for years PAYE [Income based repayment]), retirement = 0 month (I have talked to the county government and if i were to have my life completed in my car the government would bury me at the tax payers expense)

So I would say i AM competitive to the the "old timers" even being a new grad!