Grouping Clinical Experiences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MooseAndMe99

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I currently have 14 activities on my AMCAS. I grouped both my Chemistry and Microbiology Teaching Assistant positions into one category because I heard since most teaching assistant positions are similar, it is better to just group them. I was wondering, should I do the same for my clinical volunteering experience? I volunteer at an underserved clinic in my hometown where I was a volunteer coordinator. Then, I moved back to my hometown and volunteered at another underserved clinic in which I was doing similar work but instead in my hometown. Should I group them both into one? I definitely have more hours in my current clinic because I volunteered at the last clinic while being a student whereas I am doing mostly this clinic as a part of my gap year since I moved back home for it after graduating in December. Currently, I have them as 2 separate activities. Should I just have them be separate since they were different clinics or group them together? I know clinical volunteering is important so I personally liked the idea of having two activities for it because both were very meaningful and I feel having them all in one activity (even with most meaningful) is just not enough for me talk about some of my experiences at both clinics.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I currently have 14 activities on my AMCAS. I grouped both my Chemistry and Microbiology Teaching Assistant positions into one category because I heard since most teaching assistant positions are similar, it is better to just group them. I was wondering, should I do the same for my clinical volunteering experience? I volunteer at an underserved clinic in my hometown where I was a volunteer coordinator. Then, I moved back to my hometown and volunteered at another underserved clinic in which I was doing similar work but instead in my hometown. Should I group them both into one? I definitely have more hours in my current clinic because I volunteered at the last clinic while being a student whereas I am doing mostly this clinic as a part of my gap year since I moved back home for it after graduating in December. Currently, I have them as 2 separate activities. Should I just have them be separate since they were different clinics or group them together? I know clinical volunteering is important so I personally liked the idea of having two activities for it because both were very meaningful and I feel having them all in one activity (even with most meaningful) is just not enough for me talk about some of my experiences at both clinics.
Grouping them is a reasonable solution, despite the challenge of being forced to describe both succinctly. What are your other options for cutting out or grouping activities, since you prefer to have two clinical volunteering slots?

Grouping them is a reasonable solution, despite the challenge of being forced to describe both succinctly. What are your other options for cutting out or grouping activities, since you prefer to have two clinical volunteering slots?
I decided to group them together because I felt both were very meaningful so I wanted both to be emphasized on the application rather than one being more emphasized and them possibly glossing over the other. They were also very similar clinics in which the roles were almost the same. It will be one of my three most meaningful experiences. How should I format it to where both clinics are included in the Experience Name, Organization Name, and Contact Names & Info? Should I have both clinics' information in that section or should I just include one person's name for the contact and put the other clinic supervisor contact info in the description?

I decided to group them together because I felt both were very meaningful so I wanted both to be emphasized on the application rather than one being more emphasized and them possibly glossing over the other. They were also very similar clinics in which the roles were almost the same. It will be one of my three most meaningful experiences. How should I format it to where both clinics are included in the Experience Name, Organization Name, and Contact Names & Info? Should I have both clinics' information in that section or should I just include one person's name for the contact and put the other clinic supervisor contact info in the description?
I suggest entering the most recent experience information in the header and the other (abbreviated) in the narrative, with the total hours of the two experiences in the Total Hours space, but the subtotals in the explanation (so they match hours to which each Contact will attest. The experience name can allude to the two clinics, but the characters allowed are limited.

Reactions: 1 user