I personally prefer to see them separated; after all, AMCAS did go through the trouble of coming up with 3 research-related experience types: i) Research/Lab, ii) Presentations/Posters, and iii) Publications. Each of these experience types emphasize a different skillset.
However, if you are truly tight on space and need to group them together, you will be fine as long as it's clear which citations correspond to publications vs presentations vs posters.
Among publications, I would even consider clarifying if a publication was "just" an accepted abstract vs a 'letter to the editor' type of deal. We've had some applicants try to upsell these types of publications as full original research articles. Ignorance? Maybe. But cynically, I think they knew what they were doing. Just my thoughts.
If the Presentations and Posters are related to a Publication (similar/related data set), putting them in one space, and making the relationship clear, is fine. Otherwise, I, too, prefer to see them listed in their own space. If you really, really don't have the space to do this, consider mentioning them in the related Research space, leaving the Publication on its own.
Thanks for your response! I was told that if you mention a poster being presented or a presentation being given at the end of the related research space, it's very easy for them to be overlooked by a reader, within the context of a wordy paragraph .
That’s why I was thinking, if it's better to indicate all of my presentations/ posters/ publications under one space. My publication is an entirely separate research project than my poster & presentation, which are part of one project. Here is how I was thinking of formatting it:
Experience Type: Publications
Experience Name: Publications, Presentations, and Posters
1. "Citation for the publication"
- First author publication
2. "Citation for the the 2nd research project (separate from the publication)"
- Poster presentation at ________________ Conference
- Oral Presentation at _________________ Conference
Indicating a publication on its own is completely fine by me, but I feel that in my case, it's quite generic because the entire research project was strictly literature review and manuscript prep. Doing the above, would open up another slot for me; However, I would like to follow what you feel is best.