1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Grow teeth

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by freedyx3, May 3, 2004.

1. freedyx3

freedyx3 I'm Columbian
    7+ Year Member

2. drPheta

drPheta Some random guy
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
    "They are then re-implanted in the patient's jaw under the gum where the tooth is missing."

Seems like that will be the future of dental implants...if this is for real.
    I'm sure cost is still a huge factor. Something like this seems far more expensive than titanium posts and a crown. Even though they claim the cost to be the same, just think that in 5 years, synthetic implant technology will be so efficient and cheap.

3. thomasratkin

thomasratkin Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

the morons on cnn forgot to mention that this has never been tried in humans, only rats, and in the rats, no gingival attachment, limited periodontal ligament attachment. basically they all had perio.

i dont see it working unless they can regenerate sharpeys fibers and ligamental attachment.

Tom

4. grettlin2

grettlin2 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I saw the news on CNN today. It said they will run the human test and it should be practical in 5 years. I feel it is just politics. I am sure if there is a drug which can cure most of the internal diseases, the medical organization won't let this news be announced. Is the dentistry still considered not as important as medicine by these research MDs?

5. ItsGavinC

Dentist Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Dentist
    Actually, those morons (I agree they are morons) did mention a lot of what you stated.

6. Gavin, the other day I caught the end of a story on my local news where they were talking about the development of a new dental CAT scan. Have you heard anything about that? -Andy