One year Masters before dental school question & advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which program?

• Anatomy

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Biochemistry & Molecular Biology

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Microbiology & Immunology

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Physiology

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Medical Genetics & Genomics

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Pharmacology

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Pathology - Cellular Medicine

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

thelazyvaca

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks!

I hope all are well during the strange times. I just wanted to post my situation right now to see if any of y’all wouldn’t mind giving me some advice!

I am just about to graduate and I did not gain a seat to dental school this cycle. It left me with a gap year to do something productive. I applied and received a seat at all of Tulane’s one year masters programs. They are programs designed to strengthen the candidate before a professional education. I have an 18 AA (16 BIO, 16 QR), and plan to retake. I have more than enough EC, and look at myself as a potential candidate. My cGPA at graduation will unfortunately be around a 3.30. Considering this, I knew that these masters programs would benefit me in more ways than one.

I guess what I am asking is, other than this, what do y’all suggest I do? I feel I am taking great steps at becoming a good candidate.

Lastly, I would really love to hear what y’all think about the programs. I know it depends on what I enjoy and what I am passionate about. I also know if depends on a ton of other variables. However, with all that aside, what program might prepare/ look good for a dental applicant/ dentist:

Anatomy
Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
Microbiology & Immunology
Pathology - Cellular Medicine
Pharmacology
Physiology
Medical Genetics & Genomics

Members don't see this ad.

whichever would be the easiest to get good GPA.

Reactions: 2 users
whichever would be the easiest to get good GPA.
Thank you for the reply. A good GPA in the masters seems important, but you think a good GPA in any program is better than a particular subject?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am assuming you are going to be doing one year track. Usually any of those programs, you will be taking courses with med students, so I don't think it will matter which program you do since all of them can be fairly difficult. Getting a good GPA is more of priority.

Reactions: 1 user
I am assuming you are going to be doing one year track. Usually any of those programs, you will be taking courses with med students, so I don't think it will matter which program you do since all of them can be fairly difficult. Getting a good GPA is more of priority.
I appreciate the response! I am getting ready to pick my program, and just having a tough time deciding. I thought one or more programs would stick out and would be a bit more attractive to dental schools.

Do the Biochemistry & Molecular Biology one. I believe that's the one geared towards pre-dent and pre-meds.

Do the Biochemistry & Molecular Biology one. I believe that's the one geared towards pre-dent and pre-meds.
Thank you for the response! I was under the impression that all the programs were used as a stepping stone more or less. Did you read that? Thanks again!

Thank you for the response! I was under the impression that all the programs were used as a stepping stone more or less. Did you read that? Thanks again!

I'm not sure of the other ones, but I know an individual who's gone through that program and is now in med school.

I'm not sure of the other ones, but I know an individual who's gone through that program and is now in med school.
Oh okay, I see now. That's good to know! Has he/she said anything about the program?

I personally have done a one-year Masters in Biomedical Science and just got accepted! Feel free to reach out with any questions :)

I personally have done a one-year Masters in Biomedical Science and just got accepted! Feel free to reach out with any questions :)
Thank you for the response, and congratulations on the acceptance! That’s awesome! Where are you going? I’d love to pick your brain about some things. Where did you get your M.S. from?

Hey folks!

I hope all are well during the strange times. I just wanted to post my situation right now to see if any of y’all wouldn’t mind giving me some advice!

I am just about to graduate and I did not gain a seat to dental school this cycle. It left me with a gap year to do something productive. I applied and received a seat at all of Tulane’s one year masters programs. They are programs designed to strengthen the candidate before a professional education. I have an 18 AA (16 BIO, 16 QR), and plan to retake. I have more than enough EC, and look at myself as a potential candidate. My cGPA at graduation will unfortunately be around a 3.30. Considering this, I knew that these masters programs would benefit me in more ways than one.

I guess what I am asking is, other than this, what do y’all suggest I do? I feel I am taking great steps at becoming a good candidate.

Lastly, I would really love to hear what y’all think about the programs. I know it depends on what I enjoy and what I am passionate about. I also know if depends on a ton of other variables. However, with all that aside, what program might prepare/ look good for a dental applicant/ dentist:

Anatomy
Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
Microbiology & Immunology
Pathology - Cellular Medicine
Pharmacology
Physiology
Medical Genetics & Genomics

I did a one year masters in biomedical science. However it’s more based on the program and it’s success vs. the actual degree. I’m a D3 if you have any questions!