guarantee non in house (beeper) locums guaranteed money

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aneftp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m not gonna to tell where this is at. But I’m sure its all over the country and completely negotiable.

Seems like desperation sets in but somehow my friends are getting 10k flat rate for local community hospital with 90% chance of being done by 8pm and no call backs. MD only. 24 hour weekend call.

Hospital wants beeper rate but since there is super light ob. U kinda of need to be around the area even without a running epidural. 90% of the time. No laboring patients after 6/7pm usually.

So I know it’s not common. But are your thoughts?

If Im covering a hospital as locums. I want guarantee hours on call. Stupid to sit around not getting paid even from my own home 20 min away on beeper.

Hospital tried to pursue crna locums to cover OB at night but they want $200x 24 hrs guarantee also for weekend.

God I love our crnas “colleagues “ these days. They are mercenaries as well. Ain’t no one wanting to do beeper call even locally.

As long as everyone is making money. Professional crna and md locums mentality is screw the hospitals and systems. AMCs are not feeling any of this as the hospitals are fronting all the locums bills.

They are willing to give a $175/day “housing stipend” from my own house. Ha ha That’s $5000/mo tax free as well. More than pays for my 2 million dollar house mortgage that I’m paying 2% interest on. So I kinda of laugh at all this.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I’m not gonna to tell where this is at. But I’m sure its all over the country and completely negotiable.

Seems like desperation sets in but somehow my friends are getting 10k flat rate for local community hospital with 90% chance of being done by 8pm and no call backs. MD only. 24 hour weekend call.

Hospital wants beeper rate but since there is super light ob. U kinda of need to be around the area even without a running epidural. 90% of the time. No laboring patients after 6/7pm usually.

If Im covering a hospital as locums. I want guarantee hours on call. Stupid to sit around not getting paid even from my own home 20 min away on beeper.

Hospital tried to pursue crna locums to cover OB at night but they want $200x 24 hrs guarantee also for weekend.

God I love our crnas “colleagues “ these days. They are mercenaries as well. Ain’t no one wanting to do beeper call even locally.

As long as everyone is making money. Professional crna and md locums mentality is screw the hospitals and systems. AMCs are not feeling any of this as the hospitals are fronting all the locums bills.

They are willing to give a $175/day “housing stipend” from my own house. Ha ha That’s $5000/mo tax free as well. More than pays for my 2 million dollar house mortgage that I’m paying 2% interest on. So I kinda of laugh at all this.
If I cant drink, go out to a nice bar, or travel, then my weekend isnt free and I need to be paid for that. I dont care if I am in-house or in my own house 30 minutes away. Either I'm getting paid, or your call isnt getting covered.

also you lucky ba3stard with that 2% mortgage....

Reactions: 5 users
If I cant drink, go out to a nice bar, or travel, then my weekend isnt free and I need to be paid for that. I dont care if I am in-house or in my own house 30 minutes away. Either I'm getting paid, or your call isnt getting covered.

also you lucky ba3stard with that 2% mortgage....
The real issue is how much beeper is worth

$100 an hour?
$200 an hour?
$400 an hour?
$500 an hour?

My rad onc friend gets 10k a week but just light consults.

My urology friend gets $7000 to cover for the weekend (on beeper plus billable time $500/hr) Friday 5p-Monday 7am)

Anesthesia is obviously different

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

$100 an hour?
$200 an hour?
$400 an hour?
$500 an hour?

My urology friend gets $7000 to cover for the weekend (on beeper plus billable time $500/hr) Friday 5p-Monday 7am)

7000/62hrs = 112 Isn’t that great.

You can always calculate backwards. By considering what you want to make a weekend. What number would be worth it to you. That may be a better starting point.

You can also demand call back rate and/or a minimum hours when call back.

7000/62hrs = 112 Isn’t that great.

You can always calculate backwards. By considering what you want to make a weekend. What number would be worth it to you. That may be a better starting point.

You can also demand call back rate and/or a minimum hours when call back.
Surgeon hours/work load is different than anesthesia especially smaller community hospitals

As for anesthesia. The guys are just demanding flat fee rate same as hourly rate in or out of Or. at home or in house working

$100 an hour?
$200 an hour?
$400 an hour?
$500 an hour?

Calculation is simple. Whatever my hourly rate is. If my hourly is 400/hr when im working on a weekday, thats my rate for covering call.

Surgeon hours/work load is different than anesthesia especially smaller community hospitals

As for anesthesia. The guys are just demanding flat fee rate same as hourly rate in or out of Or. at home or in house working
You are correct that surgeon work/hours are different. The chance each specialty has to come back is significantly less per case than the one anesthesiologist who has to perform the case. Thus the utilization of the call covering anesthesiologist is much higher.

An ophthalmologist likely wont get called in even if they are covering a weekend call (vs. ACS or trauma surgery), but an anesthesiologist likely will.

Reactions: 6 users
Keep in mind just because these people are bringing a case to the or doesn't mean they are not getting called in. Surgery gets lots of consults, not all make it to the or.

Depending on the specialty, the response time for the pager is going to vary. If it's longer than the typical 30 mins for anesthesia, then it would allow the individual to be less restricted in their activities.

Maybe other specialities can chime in. I’m interested in how much others are being compensated for their calls and what their calls entail.

Small community hospital with q5 call. No OB, trauma, neuro, hearts, etc. Very very light call on weekdays, generally get called in each weekend when on call. No call stipend/hr, just a flat $300/hr when we are called in and working. (Im hospital employed so $300/hr is my total comp for call day) I’m trying to see how many ppl actually get a home call/hr pay or stipend for taking home call for smaller places.

a few years ago when I was doing locums I would get $1k per 24hrs home call and rate was about $300/hr. It was busy during the day but usually quiet at night. I generally expected close to $10k per weekend, sometimes more, sometimes less. So getting $10k for a 24hr shift sounds amazing, times sure have changed in the last few years.

a few years ago when I was doing locums I would get $1k per 24hrs home call and rate was about $300/hr. It was busy during the day but usually quiet at night. I generally expected close to $10k per weekend, sometimes more, sometimes less. So getting $10k for a 24hr shift sounds amazing, times sure have changed in the last few years.
It sure has. One of my old academic places made us take weekend/holiday backup call FOR FREE ("it's part of your salary"). So I'm glad people are getting their value now.

Small community hospital with q5 call. No OB, trauma, neuro, hearts, etc. Very very light call on weekdays, generally get called in each weekend when on call. No call stipend/hr, just a flat $300/hr when we are called in and working. (Im hospital employed so $300/hr is my total comp for call day) I’m trying to see how many ppl actually get a home call/hr pay or stipend for taking home call for smaller places.
I think interpreting that depends on how you feel about your yearly salary. If it’s good including call coverage, then that’s not bad and getting paid extra when you come in is nice. If your salary is fair for weekday work but isn’t great if you include weekend call, then you should get paid.
Do you feel like call coverage is included in your salary or do you feel like your salary is for weekdays and you’re getting screwed on the weekends?
I’ve never been paid hourly to work on call. I’ve had call coverage included in my salary and I’ve covered call for a fixed rate whether I worked or not.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
It sure has. One of my old academic places made us take weekend/holiday backup call FOR FREE ("it's part of your salary"). So I'm glad people are getting their value now.
That’s the corporate team playbook to claim it’s part of ur salary.

Reactions: 2 users
Maybe other specialities can chime in. I’m interested in how much others are being compensated for their calls and what their calls entail.
I texted my gen surgeon friend and urology friend

Urology beeper per 24 hrs is $2500 plus hours worked. So the surgery locums is different

Gen surgery is $2400/8 hrs and than $250/hr after 3pm Of course he’s eating breakfast with me at local breakfast cafe at 930am while still getting paid the guaranteed $2400/8 hr 7-3 rate.

We agreed to go in at do the lap appy at 1430. Ha ha. Kidding but not kidding. Just wanted to get our fantasy football lineups set before working.

Urology beeper per 24 hrs is $2500 plus hours worked. So the surgery locums is different

Gen surgery is $2400/8 hrs and than $250/hr after 3pm Of course he’s eating breakfast with me at local breakfast cafe at 930am while still getting paid the guaranteed $2400/8 hr 7-3 rate.

We agreed to go in at do the lap appy at 1430. Ha ha. Kidding but not kidding. Just wanted to get our fantasy football lineups set before working.

Star Wars Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

Why did you text him when you're having breakfast together? Damn kids these days always on their phones

• Haha
Why did you text him when you're having breakfast together? Damn kids these days always on their phones
I text my wife when she’s next to me on the couch as well.

That can be fine if it’s actually built into your salary and not “free”. That’s how our practice works. Everyone should do 8 weekday calls, 6 weekend calls, 50 lates, whatever. That’s part of the base salary and everything has a value. The difference though is that at the end of the year they all get accounted for and adjusted as necessary. So if you did more or less it’s corrected in your final bonus. It also makes it easier for them to manage our monthly income and our checks don’t change.

You couldn't pay me enough for beeper call. I always hated home call.
I got called back for nonsense so many times...

You couldn't pay me enough for beeper call. I always hated home call.
I got called back for nonsense so many times...
Well they can pay me for beeper as long it’s the same rate as I’m working. Win win (for me) and other locums.

At issue is how much is beeper call worth. I value it (as a locums) as my regular rate.

For full time w2 employees. I value beeper as 1/2 their normal rate

Beeper 1/2 hours (say 12 hours beeper) is worth 6 hours off aka. Day off after beeper. So expecting someone w2 to work day after beeper is ridiculous.

Admin will try to say it’s not standard practice. I say I’m tied to the hospital and that’s worth x amount of money or time off.

The problem with accepting lower rates for home “beeper” call is you are gambling. You are making a bet that you will be getting paid to sit at home. It’s essentially asking people to gamble with their time.

Thinking about it another way, would you rather work hard for 12 hours at $400/hr or be tied to a beeper for 24 hours at $200/hr?

What employers are not understanding (not just in medicine) is that people are thinking about the value of their time differently. Maybe this is that generational change that people in the media are always harping about, but in reality it is a more well rounded understanding by employees on how to value their most important and most limited asset…their time.

Reactions: 4 users
I agree it’s a gamble, but I don’t see how people can put a rate on their beeper call without knowing how busy or difficult the call is likely to be.

Sleepy community hospital with rare call in for easy cases that just can’t wait (with normal surgeons pushing everything else off to the morning as much as possible) or busy quaternary center with patients crashing/burning all night long (and psycho surgeons who refuse to push things off until the morning)?

These differences make for a huge difference in the cost to hold the pager in my opinion.

I agree it’s a gamble, but I don’t see how people can put a rate on their beeper call without knowing how busy or difficult the call is likely to be.

Sleepy community hospital with rare call in for easy cases that just can’t wait (with normal surgeons pushing everything else off to the morning as much as possible) or busy quaternary center with patients crashing/burning all night long (and psycho surgeons who refuse to push things off until the morning)?

These differences make for a huge difference in the cost to hold the pager in my opinion.

Most of that cannot be explained, unless you’re there, especially before accepting a Locum assignment.

It also depends on who the surgeon is. I’ve been on with staff surgeon, whose pay is dependent on productivity, or whatever the predetermined quota. I’ve also been on with locum surgeon who just want to get through the weekend without walking in the OR. I am sure we all worked with some dingus who wants to start an “urgent” appy at 5am, just so they can follow with their regular cases.

I agree with some peoples approach here. Set a rate or at least a rule of thumb rate before you walk in a new job somewhere. If you think the call is worth your while, then pick up some calls when you’re there.

Most of that cannot be explained, unless you’re there, especially before accepting a Locum assignment.

It also depends on who the surgeon is. I’ve been on with staff surgeon, whose pay is dependent on productivity, or whatever the predetermined quota. I’ve also been on with locum surgeon who just want to get through the weekend without walking in the OR. I am sure we all worked with some dingus who wants to start an “urgent” appy at 5am, just so they can follow with their regular cases.

I agree with some peoples approach here. Set a rate or at least a rule of thumb rate before you walk in a new job somewhere. If you think the call is worth your while, then pick up some calls when you’re there.
The real issue is if they can’t find call coverage for locums at beeper rate. Even light call duty. 1 epidural all weekend. No weekend or cases.

Even urban cases I live within 15 min of cannot find locums staffing and regular w2 staff don’t want to cover weekends and that’s a problem.

The real issue is if they can’t find call coverage for locums at beeper rate. Even light call duty. 1 epidural all weekend. No weekend or cases.

Even urban cases I live within 15 min of cannot find locums staffing and regular w2 staff don’t want to cover weekends and that’s a problem.

Absolutely. I will not cover “beeper” for $1200 or $2000 or whatever the rate they think it’s fantastic. It’s just not worth it. I tell locum companies I will only do it if it’s worthy my while. I’ve done in house 48. That certainly was worth it…..

Are you finding these jobs/rates through an agency or direct with the hospital? I have had minimal luck contracting directly with hospitals for even usual and customary locum rates. One in particular is regularly transferring cardiac cases on weekdays/weekends due to no anesthesiology call coverage but won't return my e-mail.

Are you finding these jobs/rates through an agency or direct with the hospital? I have had minimal luck contracting directly with hospitals for even usual and customary locum rates. One in particular is regularly transferring cardiac cases on weekdays/weekends due to no anesthesiology call coverage but won't return my e-mail.
I had an interesting similar experience. I’d interviewed at a place that then gave me an insultingly low offer (which they gave to others too). Not surprisingly they’ve been using locums for at least a year. I kept contacting them directly to offer to work there as a locums and they would just never reply. I get the feeling a lot of these hospitals just don’t care.

Depends who is paying the locums bill for the AMC. They got a lot of leeway. After all. It’s easier to pay you as locums since if always when it’s other people’s money.

If amc gets not subsidy or private group has no subsidy or low subsidy. Than the money gets tighter.