Locums Anesthesiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

otis86

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would appreciate if someone can guide me about going into the locums market? What I should look out for, competitive rates, etc. I’m a very hard worker and want to make as much as I can in my early career with option of vacation as I would like. In my current position as a W2 employee I don’t have that. I feel I’m being very underpaid for the amount of work I do. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Locums rate is like any negotiation tactics. Start high. The “normal rate is $325-350/hr” in many places that’s just normal rate

More importantly. U have to negotiate a guarantee daily hour or weekly hours. Make sure u get a guarantee 8 hours so they can send u home at 6 hours but u get 8 hours regardless. If u working longer term. Make sure u get guaranteed 50 hours if ur goal is to maximize income So u will stay to 5pm most days.

Saying that. I respond to emails offering $300/hr with my starting rate is $400/hr. The immediately counter at $325/hr.

All a game. Some places can be stingier than hours. Pay attention to work load as well

Doing 10 blocks in 5 hours period at busy ortho center and running around covering rooms for $300/hr is a lot different than sitting in a boring colon resection solo for $350/hr. Most of us would sit in a colon resection for $350/hr. That’s work load.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Locums rate is like any negotiation tactics. Start high. The “normal rate is $325-350/hr” in many places that’s just normal rate

More importantly. U have to negotiate a guarantee daily hour or weekly hours. Make sure u get a guarantee 8 hours so they can send u home at 6 hours but u get 8 hours regardless. If u working longer term. Make sure u get guaranteed 50 hours if ur goal is to maximize income So u will stay to 5pm most days.

Saying that. I respond to emails offering $300/hr with my starting rate is $400/hr. The immediately counter at $325/hr.

All a game. Some places can be stingier than hours. Pay attention to work load as well

Doing 10 blocks in 5 hours period at busy ortho center and running around covering rooms for $300/hr is a lot different than sitting in a boring colon resection solo for $350/hr. Most of us would sit in a colon resection for $350/hr. That’s work load.
Are these rates still current? Been looking around the country for both locum and per diem options and the majority are offering $225-275/hr. I am being told things like "hospitals are trying to reduce use of locum and per diem Anesthesiologists" and "we are creating a standard locum rate accross all of our clinical sites within the health system."

Are these rates still current? Been looking around the country for both locum and per diem options and the majority are offering $225-275/hr. I am being told things like "hospitals are trying to reduce use of locum and per diem Anesthesiologists" and "we are creating a standard locum rate accross all of our clinical sites within the health system."
225-275 is insulting in this market. They’re gaslighting you with that kind of nonsense explanation. 300 is the absolute floor.

What's the consensus on locums for new grads? It seems like a good idea for new grads to join a group as full time to get their roots as new attendings. But the locums market is hot right now, and I definitely know a few new grads who decided to start with locums.

Good luck with that! My rate is 350/hour + living and transportation stipend!

Reactions: 2 users
Take your guitar and smash whomever is offering those ridiculous rates over the head while shouting "Mazel tov!"

If they pay their staff better then they won't need to resort to locums. This is a totally circular argument and a pathetic attempt to lowball the **** out of you

LOL
I'm sure they are trying to create "standard locus rates". This is simple supply and demand and the hospitals need us desperately in some instances. $225 is absolute joke.

LOL
I'm sure they are trying to create "standard locus rates". This is simple supply and demand and the hospitals need us desperately in some instances. $225 is absolute joke.
My friend who makes 1.5 million (most of his money is from pain) but he covers cush slow eye/gen surgery center occasionally on his off day for $250/hr covering 1:2. He only does it cause it’s 5 min from his house and it’s not very taxing.

So lots of factors come to play. Location , plus work load. I would probably take the $250/hr preop 2-3 gen cases and 8 cataracts. That’s all he does for 8 hours

Members don't see this ad :)
My friend who makes 1.5 million (most of his money is from pain) but he covers cush slow eye/gen surgery center occasionally on his off day for $250/hr covering 1:2. He only does it cause it’s 5 min from his house and it’s not very taxing.

So lots of factors come to play. Location , plus work load. I would probably take the $250/hr preop 2-3 gen cases and 8 cataracts. That’s all he does for 8 hours

Sure, but also one must wonder why this guy hates having free time so much.

• Haha
Sure, but also one must wonder why this guy hates having free time so much.
Usual. Doesn’t want to be home with newborn. Lol
They got a nanny. Spouse is doc also.

He likes fast cars and women. But that’s another topic.

He has tons of free time in pain practice.

Reactions: 1 users
if you are doing locums in multiple states, how do your taxes play out? Federal I understand but State wise will be a nightmare.

if you are doing locums in multiple states, how do your taxes play out? Federal I understand but State wise will be a nightmare.
Legally u are suppose to pay state income taxes (where applicable) where the 1099 income is generated.

Most docs living in state income tax free states working in 1099 income generating states that do have state income taxes usually just ignore paying state income taxes. That’s highly illegal. But most docs just wing it.

All states have different tax rules, so you have to look into each one, but better to have a cpa do it. Some will want you to pay state taxes based on your “home residence,” and some have you pay state taxes where you physically were when you were earning the income.

All states have different tax rules, so you have to look into each one, but better to have a cpa do it. Some will want you to pay state taxes based on your “home residence,” and some have you pay state taxes where you physically were when you were earning the income.
Incorrect. W2 employees have reciprocated in “some neighboring states”. Like dc/va/Maryland if u are w2. U only pay income taxes in your “home state”. If you do 1099 in Virginia and live in Maryland. You legally have to pay state income taxes in Virginia (where the income is generated). Plus pay your “home state” income tax in Maryland

You will be “credited” with your “foreign Virginia state income tax payments as 1099 income” applied as a reduction to your Maryland state income taxes. Of note. It’s not a 1:1 reduction/credit That’s why people won’t report “foreign state 1099 income” in their non home state.

Usual. Doesn’t want to be home with newborn. Lol
They got a nanny. Spouse is doc also.

He likes fast cars and women. But that’s another topic.

He has tons of free time in pain practice.

He makes 1.5 million. He also picks up extra shifts at $250/hr. He also has tons of free time in pain practice? Who’s paying him the 1.5 million with tons of free time?

He makes 1.5 million. He also picks up extra shifts at $250/hr. He also has tons of free time in pain practice? Who’s paying him the 1.5 million with tons of free time?
Good. Payor mix. Also Co owns surgery center. That’s where the profit is.

Incorrect. W2 employees have reciprocated in “some neighboring states”. Like dc/va/Maryland if u are w2. U only pay income taxes in your “home state”. If you do 1099 in Virginia and live in Maryland. You legally have to pay state income taxes in Virginia (where the income is generated). Plus pay your “home state” income tax in Maryland

You will be “credited” with your “foreign Virginia state income tax payments as 1099 income” applied as a reduction to your Maryland state income taxes. Of note. It’s not a 1:1 reduction/credit That’s why people won’t report “foreign state 1099 income” in their non home state.

Anyone know the rules for Oregon and Washington state?
If I lived in Vancouver WA and work in Portland OR??

Quintessential liar. No physician making 1.5 mil/year is side hustling at a surgicenter supervising CRNAs (at a crappy rate, no less). Someone bragging about getting with women and driving fancy cars. All the signs are there, padawan. Wouldn't believe a word out of the guy's mouth. We all had one of these friends growing up. You just roll your eyes when they tell you their latest "story."

Reactions: 6 users
Quintessential liar. No physician making 1.5 mil/year is side hustling at a surgicenter supervising CRNAs (at a crappy rate, no less). Someone bragging about getting with women and driving fancy cars. All the signs are there, padawan. Wouldn't believe a word out of the guy's mouth. We all had one of these friends growing up. You just roll your eyes when they tell you their latest "story."

maybe he also owns the surgery center where he is doing those eyeball cases.. in which case 250/hr isn't really 250/hr..

Anyone know the rules for Oregon and Washington state?
If I lived in Vancouver WA and work in Portland OR??
“You need to file if your gross income from Oregon taxable sources while you were a nonresident, plus your gross income from all sources while you were a resident if filing a part-year return, was more than the amount shown for your filing status. Note: If you can be claimed as a dependent on somone else's return, see the instructions for your return for the income amounts that apply to you”

Pretty much answers your question. Considering Washington state has zero state income taxes. You probably know what 99% of locums docs who live in Washington state and do 1099 work in Oregon will likely do. Not pay it! Because locums checks usually originate from another entity out of state usually.

Awfully sure of yourself, like I said, states are different so you’d have to look into your particular situation. but I have never paid income taxes to two different states on 1099 income, always file with a cpa, never had an issue. the states I worked in didn’t require it, for example ohio, but Vermont did. For some states it also depended how long you were there. Gets complicated fast

Dude (or lady). It’s my friend in Georgia.

I asked in the same question why he’s doing it. Boredom. He’s young age 38. He spends a lot. Psychologically these guys if they are at home “and not generating money”. It’s in their mind.

My other pain friend in flordia makes 1.2 million. 3-4 days a week.

It’s not just about the hustle. It’s about collecting the billing revenues.

Legally u are suppose to pay state income taxes (where applicable) where the 1099 income is generated.

Most docs living in state income tax free states working in 1099 income generating states that do have state income taxes usually just ignore paying state income taxes. That’s highly illegal. But most docs just wing it.
They risk a state audit (fines/penalties) especially if locums company sends 1099 to that state tax board.

Pay your taxes people, it ain’t worth it.

I believe there are important discussions underlying the surface topic of this thread imHo. Are we again talking about wage transparency here? What are the effects of wage transparency? Seems like conventional economic consensus is that wage transparency promotes "fair pay," which in healthcare staffing, including our specialty, means increased wages. (Sure, the exception to this thinking is that wage transparency can actually decrease salaries by approximating "fair pay," but that is not the situation we are in; it's most likely the exact opposite. But then the question arises: What is "fair pay?" Is it what pay "should" be? "Should," doesn't accomplish anything if the driver is based on ideology or righteousness. Why? Probably because capitalism is more important to our society. "Fair pay" generally speaking is most probably a result of free market effects of supply and demand-does anyone disagree?

This forum is a driver of change for sure. To what magnitude? Hard to say. I'm certain the WSJ has referenced SDN on multiple occasions, and if my memory serves correct, has even referenced the anesthesiology forum (don't hold me to this). Why is it a driver of change? Is it because of collective thinking? Generally speaking, collectiveness is important; its powerful, its potentially leverage creating, it can even be dangerous under a certain of conditions. Why is it that in 2023, we (doctors, nurses; healthcare professionals) don't have a more powerful technological agent for collective bargaining for what we will and will not accept? Usually the first responses I hear in real life discussions which even broach the subject of physicians and collective bargaining circle around the legality of forming a union. What?! How can we get this topic so wrong, as a relatively bright group of professionals, at our own peril none-the-less? Some parallel points: Unionization is not synonymous with collective bargaining. Unionization of physicians is not an illegal activity. Unionization is not synonymous with "striking." Certainly there are legalities surrounding the idea of striking, but there is leverage in collective bargaining as an isolated endeavor. But our misunderstanding of these topics as a unified body is something we need to truly understand the implications of. I didn't expect for my diatribe to take this turn; just thinking out loud, but these are some the underlying, driving factors behind why we created scrubhunt.com. SDN has been instrumental in creating and modifying this creation; in fact, because of feedback here, in this forum, we decided to make it free always, for all healthcare users. We want to create visibility. Transparency. Search for free (without even signing up with an email-there were some concerns here about using an email, so, thats the effect), see hourly wages, apply for jobs for free. It's time.

Surely there are other ways in which we can facilitate other technological agents for change as well. If anyone is interested in working on this type of thing, or on scrubhunt, hit me up. It's time. Much love.
JM

How does his spouse feel about that?
Divorce talk already. Marriage is hard. We all know that when both are not on the same page. So no amount of money can make couples “happy” if they aren’t on the same page. The doc wife makes 400k as well. That’s why he just works to get out of the house. It’s common. We all know that. We see doctors work longer hours than they usually don’t need to.

So a ton of money doesn’t fix marriage problems.

They aren’t old. 38/34. You know the usual story. Dating a long time. The woman wants to get married. It’s crap or leave. The guy says ok. Than the wife sees biological clock ticking and wants to have a kid.

And that doesn’t fix the relationship. I feel like dr Phil as I write about this. They always traveled all around the world.

This is common in many doctor/doctor marriages. My siblings are doctor/doctor marriages as well. Though doc/doc divorces are a lot less than the general public (50% divorce general public. Vs 30% doc/doc marriages).

Word to the wise: Marriage is actually really easy when you (both) don't act like a single person.
Amen! It's not a 50:50 thing. It's 100:100. Both have to be 100% committed to making it work.

Reactions: 3 users
I believe there are important discussions underlying the surface topic of this thread imHo. Are we again talking about wage transparency here? What are the effects of wage transparency? Seems like conventional economic consensus is that wage transparency promotes "fair pay," which in healthcare staffing, including our specialty, means increased wages. (Sure, the exception to this thinking is that wage transparency can actually decrease salaries by approximating "fair pay," but that is not the situation we are in; it's most likely the exact opposite. But then the question arises: What is "fair pay?" Is it what pay "should" be? "Should," doesn't accomplish anything if the driver is based on ideology or righteousness. Why? Probably because capitalism is more important to our society. "Fair pay" generally speaking is most probably a result of free market effects of supply and demand-does anyone disagree?

This forum is a driver of change for sure. To what magnitude? Hard to say. I'm certain the WSJ has referenced SDN on multiple occasions, and if my memory serves correct, has even referenced the anesthesiology forum (don't hold me to this). Why is it a driver of change? Is it because of collective thinking? Generally speaking, collectiveness is important; its powerful, its potentially leverage creating, it can even be dangerous under a certain of conditions. Why is it that in 2023, we (doctors, nurses; healthcare professionals) don't have a more powerful technological agent for collective bargaining for what we will and will not accept? Usually the first responses I hear in real life discussions which even broach the subject of physicians and collective bargaining circle around the legality of forming a union. What?! How can we get this topic so wrong, as a relatively bright group of professionals, at our own peril none-the-less? Some parallel points: Unionization is not synonymous with collective bargaining. Unionization of physicians is not an illegal activity. Unionization is not synonymous with "striking." Certainly there are legalities surrounding the idea of striking, but there is leverage in collective bargaining as an isolated endeavor. But our misunderstanding of these topics as a unified body is something we need to truly understand the implications of. I didn't expect for my diatribe to take this turn; just thinking out loud, but these are some the underlying, driving factors behind why we created scrubhunt.com. SDN has been instrumental in creating and modifying this creation; in fact, because of feedback here, in this forum, we decided to make it free always, for all healthcare users. We want to create visibility. Transparency. Search for free (without even signing up with an email-there were some concerns here about using an email, so, thats the effect), see hourly wages, apply for jobs for free. It's time.

Surely there are other ways in which we can facilitate other technological agents for change as well. If anyone is interested in working on this type of thing, or on scrubhunt, hit me up. It's time. Much love.
JM

I don’t know how long you’ve been in practice…. There are many forces that control the “market”. ASA should have been our advocate, but as far as I am concerned, they’ve also sold out to corporate interests.

It’s just business…. It’s always business. Goodwill and loyalty doesn’t count for much anymore. I really hope you succeed….

I don’t know how long you’ve been in practice…. There are many forces that control the “market”. ASA should have been our advocate, but as far as I am concerned, they’ve also sold out to corporate interests.

It’s just business…. It’s always business. Goodwill and loyalty doesn’t count for much anymore. I really hope you succeed….
Thanks for your reply IMGASMD. Completely agree with you. I appreciate your encouragement. Only in practice for 5 years-have learned a great deal; but mostly, I've just learned how much I don't know.

Divorce talk already. Marriage is hard. We all know that when both are not on the same page. So no amount of money can make couples “happy” if they aren’t on the same page. The doc wife makes 400k as well. That’s why he just works to get out of the house. It’s common. We all know that. We see doctors work longer hours than they usually don’t need to.

They aren’t old. 38/34. You know the usual story. Dating a long time. The woman wants to get married. It’s crap or leave. The guy says ok. Than the wife sees biological clock ticking and wants to have a kid.

And that doesn’t fix the relationship. I feel like dr Phil as I write about this. They always traveled all around the world.

This is common in many doctor/doctor marriages. My siblings are doctor/doctor marriages as well. Though doc/doc divorces are a lot less than the general public (50% divorce general public. Vs 30% doc/doc marriages).

This was the missing information when you were talking about this dude pulling $1.5 and then doing a day of cataracts for $250/hr. He’s not doing it out of boredom. He’s doing it to pay for his divorce. Whenever I see a colleague busting their butt taking extra call and even picking up lower paying locums shifts, 9 times out of 10 a pending divorce is the reason.

Reactions: 5 users
Thanks for your reply IMGASMD. Completely agree with you. I appreciate your encouragement. Only in practice for 5 years-have learned a great deal; but mostly, I've just learned how much I don't know.

Some states (not a lot) have laws stating that a job posting has to give a salary or a salary range.

This was the missing information when you were talking about this dude pulling $1.5 and then doing a day of cataracts for $250/hr. He’s not doing it out of boredom. He’s doing it to pay for his divorce. Whenever I see a colleague busting their butt taking extra call and even picking up lower paying locums shifts, 9 times out of 10 a pending divorce is the reason.
His wife makes 400k plus and about to become a partner. The partners at her group pull 600-700k.

No alimony will be involved here.

On a smaller scale. friend of mine pulls 350k plus around 100k in annual bonus. (finance guy) . Wife is drug rep making 150k. She wanted $5k a month in alimony. Lawyers and all mediation etc. No alimony involved. He just has to pay $1200/month in child support. One child. 70% of after care expenses.

So alimony is intended to get spouse back on their feet. If spouse is working and makes good living. Even if it’s not amicable. There likely won’t be much of a shake down. Split the house in half. He gave her an extra 40k just to get rid of the headache. Her attorney fees.

You probably know more than you think. Even on the business front. I am just more jaded than most.

I don’t know what you’re doing will disturb the market enough to make a change. And it’s ever evolving. Just learned today that there’s an offer on the table for CRNAs at…..drum roll please………. 350/hr. That’s right folks. You now officially are cheaper to hire thank a nurse.

Theyre not current. I am getting emails for 400+/hr now.

maybe he also owns the surgery center where he is doing those eyeball cases.. in which case 250/hr isn't really 250/hr..

“You need to file if your gross income from Oregon taxable sources while you were a nonresident, plus your gross income from all sources while you were a resident if filing a part-year return, was more than the amount shown for your filing status. Note: If you can be claimed as a dependent on somone else's return, see the instructions for your return for the income amounts that apply to you”

Pretty much answers your question. Considering Washington state has zero state income taxes. You probably know what 99% of locums docs who live in Washington state and do 1099 work in Oregon will likely do. Not pay it! Because locums checks usually originate from another entity out of state usually.
Currently in this situation. Resident of WA state. Working in OR as 1099 locums, being paid by out-of-state locums agency with address listed as my WA address. Ill have to get a CPA to answer this since the state tax is like 9%!

Theyre not current. I am getting emails for 400+/hr now.

Currently in this situation. Resident of WA state. Working in OR as 1099 locums, being paid by out-of-state locums agency with address listed as my WA address. Ill have to get a CPA to answer this since the state tax is like 9%!
Cpa will tell you the same thing I’m telling you. Legally you have to pay foreign state income tax you aren’t a resident off. It’s the law. Do other people pay it. Highly not in the locums market.

That doesn't sound right. What's to stop everyone from starting an LLC in Washington (or better yet, Florida where there's no 1.5% B&O tax on corporations) to avoid paying state taxes on 1099 work? I would assume you would get easily audited...

Wow that marriage must be terrible for him to want to oversee CRNA’s for 250/hr. With his pain clinic schedule and making 1.5 million per year, when you break down what he’s making per hour, overseeing CRNA’s for 250/hr is like peanuts lmao.

That doesn't sound right. What's to stop everyone from starting an LLC in Washington (or better yet, Florida where there's no 1.5% B&O tax on corporations) to avoid paying state taxes on 1099 work? I would assume you would get easily audited...
So Many people roll the Dice on avoiding paying taxes. It’s not just Hunter Biden and his siblings that don’t pay taxes. I know quite a few 1099 anesthesiologists with a Florida LLC using a Florida locums or AMC who don’t pay state taxes even though they do substantial work out of state. The reason Is all the tax forms show Florida on them because the locums is based in Florida. It’s not that easy for the IRS to catch.
For example, the hospital in NY hires a Florida locums company to find a Florida based Anesthesiologist to work in NY. That’s why the IRS hates independent contractors and 1099 workers.

So Many people roll the Dice on avoiding paying taxes. It’s not just Hunter Biden and his siblings that don’t pay taxes. I know quite a few 1099 anesthesiologists with a Florida LLC using a Florida locums or AMC who don’t pay state taxes even though they do substantial work out of state. The reason Is all the tax forms show Florida on them because the locums is based in Florida. It’s not that easy for the IRS to catch.
For example, the hospital in NY hires a Florida locums company to find a Florida based Anesthesiologist to work in NY. That’s why the IRS hates independent contractors and 1099 workers.

What does state taxes have to do with the IRS?

Last edited:
Not sure how long he has been working and when he got married. He's about to have a 50% loss of his NW from post marriage assets. Maybe it's only been 1-2 years.
You can’t think of it that way. Marriage is suppose to be a 50/50 proposition. Not a 80/20% proposition. It’s one unit.

Anyways. Just remember one thing. Most marriages. Even working women. The women regardless if they stay at home or work. Married women will outspend a married man. So even if he’s giving up half. The man will still end up ahead. It’s simple math. She spends more. He doesn’t spend more.

You can’t think of it that way. Marriage is suppose to be a 50/50 proposition. Not a 80/20% proposition. It’s one unit.

Anyways. Just remember one thing. Most marriages. Even working women. The women regardless if they stay at home or work. Married women will outspend a married man. So even if he’s giving up half. The man will still end up ahead. It’s simple math. She spends more. He doesn’t spend more.

I was just pointing out that it does matter when you get married in terms of NW. The house or retirement account you have before marriage are considered separate property. If your rich before you get married your pre marital asts stay yours. The split is if you contribute to your ira and all that afterwards. The bigger issues is to pick wisely in the first place