guaranteed rank after interview?

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by globulin, Apr 29, 2002.

1. globulin

globulin Member

Hi, I'm new to this forum, and its pretty awesome. Anyway, my question is...once you get an interview for a residency at a school, are you guaranteed a ranking for the match process for that school....or is it possible that you are interviewed for a residency program, but they decide NOT to rank you. If anyone knows about this, please help. Thanks.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Sevo

Sevo Senior Member
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by globulin:
    <strong>Hi, I'm new to this forum, and its pretty awesome. Anyway, my question is...once you get an interview for a residency at a school, are you guaranteed a ranking for the match process for that school....or is it possible that you are interviewed for a residency program, but they decide NOT to rank you. If anyone knows about this, please help. Thanks.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Generally, you are ranked, unless you majorly goofed up your interview.

There are probably exceptions, namely applicants who might have potential credentialing or visa problems.

4. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    There are NO guarantees - even if a program tells you they will rank you, and highly, do NOT accept this as a guarantee.

Most programs rank many more individuals than they have room for, to account for people going elsewhere. However, it is not true that everyone is ranked. If a program traditionally fills from the upper tiers of their rank list, they generally will not go to the trouble of ranking all they've interviewed - its just extra work for them to rank 100 people if they only have to go to rank number 25 to get all their residents. This is generally the case for the more competitive programs, but again, there is no guarantee that you will be ranked by a program even if you do well on the interview.

5. Whisker Barrel Cortex

A lot of radiology programs interview 10 people for every spot. From what I have heard, many times they only rank the top half or two-thirds of their interviewees, so you won't be ranked for sure. Its pretty unfair, especially if you fly accross the country to interview as I did for some of mine.

6. NuMD97

NuMD97 Senior Member

Unfair is one word. Unethical is another that comes to mind in this process. Too often programs promise you "the sun, the moon, and a few stars" and when it comes to the Match, lo! Sometimes they have empty slots which is impossible after they told you that you would "definitely be ranked." Best advice: take the whole process with a hefty grain of salt, interview as often as is physically and monetarily feasible, and then rank them from your heart. Truthfully, there is really no other way. "Been there, done that." :)

Best of luck.

7. carddr

carddr Senior Member

Interview does not = rankng!!!! I concur with the advice given here... do everything you can to make it happen and than relax. Back up, "then rank them from your heart." It's an agonizing process,worst than anything you will experience in medical school, but when it works out, a soaring experience! Good Luck!!!

8. NuMD97

NuMD97 Senior Member

Well said, Carddr. :) One thing I've learned in my own journey is that one way or the other, "it will be done." If you want it badly enough and have the tenacity, you'll reach "the top of the mountain". It's just "the getting there" that's a real pain.

Good luck to all.

Nu

9. globulin

globulin Member

Thanks for the replies! They were quite helpful.