Guess who's back? Back again. Summa's back, tell a friend.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

attitudeofgratitude

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Summa Health to relaunch emergency medicine residency program

reapproved for 8 residents today.

Are they paying USACS significantly less than they paided SEA? Cause if so then the switch might actually have worked out for them long term from an admin prospective.

Members don't see this ad.

Summa Health to relaunch emergency medicine residency program

reapproved for 8 residents today.

Are they paying USACS significantly less than they paided SEA? Cause if so then the switch might actually have worked out for them long term from an admin prospective.

ACGME will approve anything. If the finances work though, might set precedent for other institutions. Why negotiate in good faith when you could burn the entire thing to the ground, loose your residency, hire a group for less $$ and then get it all back. And trust me they will fill every spot

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
dumb sheep ms4s will go to any em residency they can get into. even if it's run by u-suck and supported by traitorous summa admin.

the end times are nigh my friends.

Reactions: 2 users
dumb sheep ms4s will go to any em residency they can get into. even if it's run by u-suck and supported by traitorous summa admin.

the end times are nigh my friends.

Don't blame them. I would do the same. I went to the worst EM residency in the country, and would do it again.

Reactions: 8 users
M4s have no power it’s laughable that you would blame them.

Rather than the dumb sheep academic EN attendings who hold more power. It’s the same crap as the “blame new grads” uhh they are new and have tons of debt and no one tells them about the opportunities out there if they don’t browse an EM forum you would be in the same position

Reactions: 1 users
If not a privacy issue, which was this and why just out of curiosity?
He was at MLK in LA, until it went up in (figurative) flames. God's honest truth, I don't remember to where he transferred. However, he hasn't hidden much as to where he went to med school, his national origin, or where he works now.

Summa apparently has been bought out by Beaumont. Dr. Mike Beeson was long-time PD b4 USACS debacle, and he’s back as PD in the new program. Have known him for many years- he’s a great guy and outstanding PD.

Guess who’s back guess who’s back guess who’s back guess backkkkkk...

So did they officially kick out USACS? Beaumont’s legacy hospitals have a hospital employed model, but they did not change employment models of the emergency departments of the hospitals they bought up (ie TH has the contract at the former Oakwood hospitals).

Guess who’s back guess who’s back guess who’s back guess backkkkkk...

So did they officially kick out USACS? Beaumont’s legacy hospitals have a hospital employed model, but they did not change employment models of the emergency departments of the hospitals they bought up (ie TH has the contract at the former Oakwood hospitals).

According to the article, USACS is still there.

Reality is EM is competitive and im scared for our futures when all these residencies pop up. Who knows the quality of lack thereof of future EM docs. I trust that these residents at Summa will be ok. that place ran a residency for a while. Between all the new HCA residencies and CMGs adding residencies like this look out in 5-10 years and tell me what the job market is gonna look like for us.

No better time to own your job than now. We are seeing the beginnings. Locums Market and Texas drying up. Then pay rates will start to come down, then you may not be able to get a job in a decent city as those will become incredibly competitive even at low pay rates.

The future is near and I am not one to sound the alarm bells.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't blame them. I would do the same. I went to the worst EM residency in the country, and would do it again.
Why not? Sub par applicant going to sub par meat factory program (not necessarily summa, moreso referring to all these new places) wilfully contributing to shift of the supply demand curve. What's not to blame?

Why not? Sub par applicant going to sub par meat factory program (not necessarily summa, moreso referring to all these new places) wilfully contributing to shift of the supply demand curve. What's not to blame?

I think it’s more a long the lines of the students have no control over the situation, you really think it’s the students fault that these programs exist?

I think it’s more a long the lines of the students have no control over the situation, you really think it’s the students fault that these programs exist?

I mean there is a match list. While you can’t blame them for everything.

ABEM needs to step up and start denying board certification for these programs if the ACGME won't stop their formation

Also who the hell is on the acgme committee for this stuff? They need to start getting skeptical about this stuff. They aren’t here to teach there are there to make money off their backs. They can make a profit even with out a CMS subsidy.

ABEM needs to step up and start denying board certification for these programs if the ACGME won't stop their formation

I have had a brush with the acgme many moons ago when our Dept thought about it. I’ll tell you they literally have a clip board and it’s a bunch of retired physicians and admin who are box checkers and have no clue which end is up.

I mean there is a match list. While you can’t blame them for everything.
Just so we are clear, you're making the argument that they should be willing to not match into EM at all rather than go to a program you don't think meets standards but the national accreditation body does.
Interesting.

Reactions: 4 users
Just so we are clear, you're making the argument that they should be willing to not match into EM at all rather than go to a program you don't think meets standards but the national accreditation body does.
Interesting.

Why not make that argument? HEalth systems regularly make a mockery of the national accreditation process as it is. I cannot take them as seriously as I once did.

I mean if it comes down to one of these corporate mill type programs or bust. I would hope these med students would have the sense to take a step back and seriously examine wtf it is that they want out of a medical career.

I mean if it comes down to one of these corporate mill type programs or bust. I would hope these med students would have the sense to take a step back and seriously examine wtf it is that they want out of a medical career.
Because they want to do the specialty they want to do. And since we all basically get 1 chance at a categorical residency, it's not worth the rist to them. This isn't the civil rights movement. Groups of US grads refusing to rank bad programs won't make them suddenly wake up and get better. If it were, there wouldn't be scads of programs out there full entirely of the bottom of the barrel.
Fix the system after you get a job, not before you prevent yourself from ever getting one. We can make it better by filing complaints against it, making resolutions at ACEP/AAEM, convincing Congress to do another Flexner Report, never working for one of these places, etc. The students are essentially powerless due to the match.

Reactions: 4 users
Because they want to do the specialty they want to do. And since we all basically get 1 chance at a categorical residency, it's not worth the rist to them. This isn't the civil rights movement. Groups of US grads refusing to rank bad programs won't make them suddenly wake up and get better. If it were, there wouldn't be scads of programs out there full entirely of the bottom of the barrel.
Fix the system after you get a job, not before you prevent yourself from ever getting one. We can make it better by filing complaints against it, making resolutions at ACEP/AAEM, convincing Congress to do another Flexner Report, never working for one of these places, etc. The students are essentially powerless due to the match.

You’re absolutely right! Medical students are powerless uninformed sheep. They don’t run they just stay in the pack. My expectations have really been set too high.

I mean if you’re coming out of these new med schools that’ll basically take anyone without a criminal record. Perhaps expecting them to do a little bit of introspection is just a bridge too far.

You’re probably right.

You’re absolutely right! Medical students are powerless uninformed sheep. They don’t run they just stay in the pack. My expectations have really been set too high.

I mean if you’re coming out of these new med schools that’ll basically take anyone without a criminal record. Perhaps expecting them to do a little bit of introspection is just a bridge too far.

You’re probably right.

Medical school doesn't prepare them for the real world. It pushes them all to be in primary care specialties, and punishes any questions about salary and money that students might have. If medical schools had their way, every single student would work for free in primary care in under-served areas.

Physicians in general are sheep. Weve been trained throughout premed, med school, residency, to just get through. Put your head down and get through and don't make waves. Even worse, kiss ass even on rotations you hate so that you get good grades. Even as an attending, many just want to get their loans paid off asap, again not wanting to make waves. This has done nothing, but make physicians as a group pansies. It is no wonder the NP and nursing lobby is kicking our asses.

Reactions: 5 users
Physicians in general are sheep. Weve been trained throughout premed, med school, residency, to just get through. Put your head down and get through and don't make waves. Even worse, kiss ass even on rotations you hate so that you get good grades. Even as an attending, many just want to get their loans paid off asap, again not wanting to make waves. This has done nothing, but make physicians as a group pansies. It is no wonder the NP and nursing lobby is kicking our asses.

It's because the only people in healthcare that can be demeaned are physicians. God forbid you make even the slightest criticisim of someone else in healthcare, you end up absolutely crucified. We see crap daily from nurses and mid-levels on how they "actually take care of the patient" "couldn't do my job" *insert that dumb picture of a couple IV poles how we couldn't fathom possibly setting that up*, etc, while we just play games on our phone or sit on our ass, etc. Reversing that critism would be essentially career ending so all we have left to do is pay off our loans and GTFO quickly as possible with a side gig.

You’re probably right.
Weak med school to weak residency to weak job

Weak med school to weak residency to weak job

Weak people, but they pay tuition for med school and have a pulse, so now we let them in. What a joke. Why did I work so hard again? What’s that George Carlin routine?

It's because the only people in healthcare that can be demeaned are physicians. God forbid you make even the slightest criticisim of someone else in healthcare, you end up absolutely crucified. We see crap daily from nurses and mid-levels on how they "actually take care of the patient" "couldn't do my job" *insert that dumb picture of a couple IV poles how we couldn't fathom possibly setting that up*, etc, while we just play games on our phone or sit on our ass, etc. Reversing that critism would be essentially career ending so all we have left to do is pay off our loans and GTFO quickly as possible with a side gig.

Well Physicians of yesterday caused this. Yelling at nurses, support staff, techs, throwing things, being rude, not knowing how to work with others and being a leader. Acting antisocial as if you have a personality disorder. What you dish out will eventually come back to you.