Guessing on Q-bank?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCLAstudent

I'm a luck dragon!
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else feel like they're having to guess a lot on Q-bank? With every set I take, I feel unsure of at least half of the questions. My scores are okay (72%), but I wish I felt more confident! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone else feel like they're having to guess a lot on Q-bank? With every set I take, I feel unsure of at least half of the questions. My scores are okay (72%), but I wish I felt more confident! :laugh:

I kinda feel the same way. I always have sorta of general idea but never quiet really sure for more than half questions. :oops:

are you doing random qbank? 72% is pretty darn good!! keep it up with the guessing.

One thing to remember is that Qbank is not really reflective of the actual exam, so if you find that you are guessing a lot on questions that test nit-picky details then that should be okay (those types of questions are more likely to be experimental on the boards). On the other hand, I can almost guarantee that you will walk out of the exam feeling the same way as you feel about the Qbank questions--I know I sure as hell felt horrible. You just have to remember that you did great on Qbank (72%!) despite that feeling, and thus will probably do quite well on the exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
I rarely find myself guessing randomly. I'm almost always able to eliminate down to 2 or 3 choices before I choose one.

The biggest challenge for me is that I'm still finishing up 2nd year, and at school our tests are really tricky and convoluted and require knowledge of one if not several obscure details in order to answer correctly. The Qbank questions are much more straightforward, but still seem to test bigger concepts rather than nitpicky details.

One thing to remember is that Qbank is not really reflective of the actual exam, so if you find that you are guessing a lot on questions that test nit-picky details then that should be okay (those types of questions are more likely to be experimental on the boards). On the other hand, I can almost guarantee that you will walk out of the exam feeling the same way as you feel about the Qbank questions--I know I sure as hell felt horrible. You just have to remember that you did great on Qbank (72%!) despite that feeling, and thus will probably do quite well on the exam.

Agreed I felt like I guessed and wasn't sure on most of it, same for step 2. But did okay on both.

I'd say with 72% on qbank if done random and timed, get ready for a good score too.:thumbup:

Glad I'm not the only one, haha. Yes, I take them random and timed, usually a set of 30 and 1-2 sets of 15 each day. I take the test one month from Saturday, so there's still time.

Glad I'm not the only one, haha. Yes, I take them random and timed, usually a set of 30 and 1-2 sets of 15 each day. I take the test one month from Saturday, so there's still time.

I vary from 50-90% which is rather scary. It does seem like guessing is involved

I guessed a ton of questions on NBME form 3 that I either had no idea on or narrowed down and somehow got many of them correct(224). I think that if you have learned the info somewhere in the past that you will guess many or most questions on that topic correctly even though you are not 100% sure.