Guidance and information to high school student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which is the best colleges for optometry in Texas

• Total voters

Opticalfuture

Opticqueen
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I want to be an optometrist and I would like to know what I have to do to achieve my goal. What classes to take an why not to do Etc.. Things u would tell ur younger self Advice and tips plz I'm new btw

Members don't see this ad.

That's great that you're getting a jumpstart in your career choice so early. If you're interested in optometry, I would start by looking at different schools and their prerequisites. As far as I know, a good number of optometry schools require a 4 year degree by the time you start. After narrowing down your top choices, just be sure that you take all of the necessary prereqs. However, it's not enough that you just take the classes: you have to do well in them too.

Throughout college, you might have a change of heart and realize you have a passion for something else: don't be so set on optometry just yet.. it's good to keep an open mind. Remember to enjoy yourself, but still work hard and make good grades. The better your grades, the less stress you have to deal with later on about if you're a competitive applicant.

Even though your GPA plays a substantial role in your application, you also need to show that you're well-rounded, so it's important that you get involved in extracurricular activities, whether it pertains to optometry or not. Also, it helps if you shadow/work at an optometry practice so you at least have some exposure to the profession. It may be a little overwhelming, so I found it extremely helpful to make a timeline (with the help of your college advisor, if you need it) of which classes I needed to take each semester. When the time approaches for you to start your application process (ideally between your third and fourth year of undergrad), have enough self-discipline and organization skills to help you plan ahead in order to have ample time to study and prepare yourself for the OAT.

Because you're still in high school, I would first just focus on taking the necessary classes for the school you're interested in attending. Again, explore your options. Each school will have their prerequisites listed on their website. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
That's great that you're getting a jumpstart in your career choice so early. If you're interested in optometry, I would start by looking at different schools and their prerequisites. As far as I know, a good number of optometry schools require a 4 year degree by the time you start. After narrowing down your top choices, just be sure that you take all of the necessary prereqs. However, it's not enough that you just take the classes: you have to do well in them too.

Throughout college, you might have a change of heart and realize you have a passion for something else: don't be so set on optometry just yet.. it's good to keep an open mind. Remember to enjoy yourself, but still work hard and make good grades. The better your grades, the less stress you have to deal with later on about if you're a competitive applicant.

Even though your GPA plays a substantial role in your application, you also need to show that you're well-rounded, so it's important that you get involved in extracurricular activities, whether it pertains to optometry or not. Also, it helps if you shadow/work at an optometry practice so you at least have some exposure to the profession. It may be a little overwhelming, so I found it extremely helpful to make a timeline (with the help of your college advisor, if you need it) of which classes I needed to take each semester. When the time approaches for you to start your application process (ideally between your third and fourth year of undergrad), have enough self-discipline and organization skills to help you plan ahead in order to have ample time to study and prepare yourself for the OAT.

Because you're still in high school, I would first just focus on taking the necessary classes for the school you're interested in attending. Again, explore your options. Each school will have their prerequisites listed on their website. Good luck!

Thank you so much are U an optometrist? Is the classes hard and the courses too? Which subject is really difficult that I shouldn't prep for in advance. How do u not go broke in college with all debts? Can u become one less than 8 years

Thx!

Optometrystudents.com has a lot of great articles about how to prepare for an optometry school acceptance. You should also consult your academic counselors/advisers because they will often have a breakdown of how you should take your classes during your 4 years in undergrad. You will need to take your prerequisites which you can find here http://www.optomcas.org/information-about-schools-colleges/school-college-prerequisites As you can see most schools have very similar requirements so take that into account when planning your undergrad years. It would benefit you to shadow an OD so you can see if this is something you want to do your entire life.