guidance during post doc application phase

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bmedclinic

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,
I'm currently on internship and starting to think about the route I'd like to go for postdoc.
I have an idea of what I want (behavioral sleep medicine/primary care psychology situations/ maybe some forensic assessments) based on my past experience and interest.

However, none of my supervisors are truly equipped to give me advice and discuss how to best approach my different options. Either they did not do a postdoc, or have been out of the postdoc world for so long (20-30 years) they cannot offer advice on what may be best and what to consider.

Basically, I have several different types of positions in different settings/states that I may be after and all the people I'd normally turn towards to use as a sounding board are now potential bosses/supervisors and I'd like to not compromise those relationships by asking them about different positions that may not be positions with them. Is there anyone willing to message with me (I'd rather not share all the details on here) related to this?

Thanks so much! Really appreciate it.

PS- If you're applying to internship and reading this, trust me-- it gets much better! This is LOTS more fun than applying for internship so far.

Members don't see this ad.

This isn't my area. But you may look to talk to someone in the VA. There has been a significant increase in psychologists being integrated within primary care settings in recent years. You'd get the behavioral sleep stuff since just about every Veteran who comes in here has sleep problems, and of course the prime care stuff since you'd likely be embedded within a clinic. Not sure about the forensic stuff, unless you wanted to involve yourself in C&P's in some way. But that'd just be plain masochistic.

WisNeuro,
Thanks so much for your reply. Though I interviewed at several VA's for internship, I did not match at one and really think I dont want to be inovlved in the VA at this point. That may change in the future, but it's not my goal and it might just not be the best fit for me.

I was hoping that I could message with someone on here about different options I have and use someone's guidance and experience to help me sort out different paths I can take, as my potential postdoc oppoutunities appear to be in very different types of settings (Medical School, joining a larger private practice, large county hospital with sleep and primary care options, etc).

Members don't see this ad :)
Fair enough bmed. It is definitely a place that you have to have an affinity for to want to work here. In terms of postdocs though, I would suggest just thinking about it again. If purely for the reason that there are now a decent number of postdocs opening up in the area of psychology/prime care integration. It's a year, if you don't like it, look elsewhere for a job. If you do happen to like it, the easiest way to get a job in VA is to already be in their system. But, in the end, got to go to the place with the best fit. I wish you the best of luck.

Join your state psychological assoction (SPA) and get involved with their Early Career Members programs. Most SPAs will help you find mentors with your areas of interest