Guidance for M1s

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TripleDegree

Joker Doctor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, I know that as a soon-to-be M1, I'm an intellectual midget compared to you folks on this board. However I always believe in aiming for the stars...

So pray tell me - is there anything that one can possibly do as an M1 that will perhaps raise an appreciative PD eyebrow and get me into a Diag Rads residency? any/all comments or flames would be greatly appreciated.

over and out :)

Members don't see this ad.

See if you can get involved in some radiology related research, both during the year and the summer after first year. You can also meet with the PD for the residency at your school and I'm sure he/she will have some advice.

I agree with the above...research would be very helpful and the prime time to do some is in between your 1st and 2nd year of medical school...between 2nd and 3rd you are busy studying for boards, which you need to do very very well on to have a strong application for rads. And its hard to find time to do research while on clinical rotations....

So for right now...study hard so that you LEARN the material you need to know for USMLE Step 1. Good board scores are MORE valuable on an application that research...but research is definitely nice to have.

Members don't see this ad :)
DHMO said:
See if you can get involved in some radiology related research, both during the year and the summer after first year. You can also meet with the PD for the residency at your school and I'm sure he/she will have some advice.

hey dhmo and vince - thanks, good advice. i'll approach the PDs pretty soon during the year.

anything you can think off the top of your heads? i have a graduate degree in computer engineering that i am hoping i might be able to use some small part of.

Don't get hung up on numbers. Someone in my residency class got a spot after the match with a 207. He's very intelligent and does well. Your step 1 score does not dictate your future. That being said, 230 and up put you into the "competitive" realm.

Be a USMG with 240+ Step 1. Have a nice two years!!! :D