Guidance please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

@moonlight@

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am getting very confused and discourage with what I should do with my situation. I graduated last June from a UCLA.
cGPA AMCAS: 3.19
sGPA BCPM AMCAS: 2.98
cGPA All Other AMCAS: 3.62 (what is this GPA please?)
I did poorly after transfering from a CC to UC because of my family issue that led to series of depression episode. I also did prioritize my research project over my GPA during my junior/senior year. My GPA at UC is 2.98. Should have stayed to increase my GPA but I decided to take a break from everything.

I don't think I can get into any formal post-bacc program or SMP with my GPA :( I am debating between taking classes at my local 4-year state university (CSU) or taking classes at UCLA extension, where they have a certificate pre-medical program. Since I cannot retake any classes (C is a still a passing grade), I can only take other lower division classes offered at the extension.

Any other suggestions for me to improve my GPA or improve my stat overall? Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I am getting very confused and discourage with what I should do with my situation. I graduated last June from a UCLA.
I did poorly after transfering from a CC to UC because of my family issue that led to series of depression episode. I also did prioritize my research project over my GPA during my junior/senior year. My GPA at UC is 2.98. Should have stayed to increase my GPA but I decided to take a break from everything.

I don't think I can get into any formal post-bacc program or SMP with my GPA :( I am debating between taking classes at my local 4-year state university (CSU) or taking classes at UCLA extension, where they have a certificate pre-medical program. Since I cannot retake any classes (C is a still a passing grade), I can only take other lower division classes offered at the extension.

Any other suggestions for me to improve my GPA or improve my stat overall? Thank you so much!

cGPA All Other AMCAS = no one cares about this GPA. cGPA and sGPA are kings

Premeds, do not prioritize research over classes/GPA if you can't handle it. OP serves as a grim warning.

Follow your plan of taking classes at your local state university to build up your sGPA and cGPA. Once you hit 3.2-3.3 on the sGPA, apply DO once you have the MCAT, or apply for SMP and aim for MD

Reactions: 1 users
Hello,

SMPs are a dime a dozen. You can find one that will take you. Mine will, for sure. Other than that, do a DIY post-bac,.

There is no point in retaking any C classes unless you're weak on the material for MCAT. BTW, you CAN retake at other schools. Your school's policy doesn't apply to others.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
cGPA All Other AMCAS = no one cares about this GPA. cGPA and sGPA are kings

Premeds, do not prioritize research over classes/GPA if you can't handle it. OP serves as a grim warning.

Follow your plan of taking classes at your local state university to build up your sGPA and cGPA. Once you hit 3.2-3.3 on the sGPA, apply DO once you have the MCAT, or apply for SMP and aim for MD

Yes, please use me as an example to warn all of the pre-med out there. At first the research load was very light, but it got harder once I got my own project. I sacrificed my GPA for publication, which is not helping in my case. I will take my MCAT in April. I've been doing well in my prep-class so I am aiming for 511 or so. I really want to apply next cycle but if I still have hope for MD, I will longer for it. Thank you so much for your input!

Just to clarify, should I take classes at my state university > bring my GPA up to 3.3 > apply SMP > apply the cycle after completing SMP (usually 1-2 years)?

Yes, please use me as an example to warn all of the pre-med out there. At first the research load was very light, but it got harder once I got my own project. I sacrificed my GPA for publication, which is not helping in my case. I will take my MCAT in April. I've been doing well in my prep-class so I am aiming for 511 or so. I really want to apply next cycle but if I still have hope for MD, I will longer for it. Thank you so much for your input!

Just to clarify, should I take classes at my state university > bring my GPA up to 3.3 > apply SMP > apply the cycle after completing SMP (usually 1-2 years)?
I think you're fine for SNP right now. No need for any DIY coursework.

Also, make sure that your mental health issues are under control. Medical school is a furnace, and I've seen it break even healthy students. The #1 reason my school loses students to withdrawal, dismissal or LOA is to unresolved mental health issues.

your GPA isn't atrocious so i would say you have a good chance of getting into SMPs now. you will need the MCAT to apply for them, though some allow you to replace the MCAT with the GRE.

if you are aiming for MD, you will definitely need to do an SMP and you will have to do well in it. remember that if you do it, it will be very difficult and you risk screwing yourself over if you do poorly. just a friendly warning

good luck!

I think you're fine for SNP right now. No need for any DIY coursework.

Also, make sure that your mental health issues are under control. Medical school is a furnace, and I've seen it break even healthy students. The #1 reason my school loses students to withdrawal, dismissal or LOA is to unresolved mental health issues.
To all those in the thread that don't know what an LOA is (I didn't), it stands for "Leave of Absence." Had to look that one up after seeing it appear in multiple threads.

SMPs are a dime a dozen. You can find one that will take you. Mine will, for sure. Other than that, do a DIY post-bac,.

There is no point in retaking any C classes unless you're weak on the material for MCAT. BTW, you CAN retake at other schools. Your school's policy doesn't apply to others.

Thank you so much for the information. I was discourage since most SMP I read about required MCAT/GRE and at least 3.4GPA. I will definitely look more into it and working on my application.
I am also thinking about DIY postbacc at the UCLA extension. The tuition at my local university (CSU) is much higher than the extension and there is no guarantee to get in the class.

@Goro : Yes, I understand. That's why I decided to take a break and only focus on myself for a while.

@hiei : Thank you, I understand this is my last chance. I am planning to take MCAT in April but I might reconsider that since most SMP wants MCAT/GRE score

@begood95 : Thanks. I learned it the hard way I guess. Not trying to make any excuses for my mistake though, I'll just work on things to fix it

I have some follow-up questions:
1. I found out about the Northstate California University postbacc program. Surprisingly the requirements are all within my reach and it also has linkage to its med school. However, I found a thread on this forum saying that the school is not accredited and it is somewhat like Caribbean schools. Should I even bother applying? There is a $100.00 fee
2. Is taking MCAT in April too late for SMP application? Should I move it to March or January to increase my chance to get accepted?
Thank you!

1. I found out about the Northstate California University postbacc program. Surprisingly the requirements are all within my reach and it also has linkage to its med school. However, I found a thread on this forum saying that the school is not accredited and it is somewhat like Caribbean schools. Should I even bother applying? There is a $100.00 fee
2. Is taking MCAT in April too late for SMP application? Should I move it to March or January to increase my chance to get accepted?
Thank you!
Others more knowledgeable than me will be able to answer your questions, in particular about california north state. @Goro

Thank you!
If you're in Norcal, I think Drexel still has an SMP in Sacramento, but double check on that. My school has also had people from CSU-East Bay, Western, Touro-CA, UC-Berkeley (extension??) and a few more schools. I think AZCOM has a SMP as well.

You should nOT take the MCAT until you are 100% ready. This process is a marathon now, not a sprint.

I can't recommend anything having to do with CN"u".

If you're in Norcal, I think Drexel still has an SMP in Sacramento, but double check on that. My school has also had people from CSU-East Bay, Western, Touro-CA, UC-Berkeley (extension??) and a few more schools. I think AZCOM has a SMP as well.

You should nOT take the MCAT until you are 100% ready. This process is a marathon now, not a sprint.

I can't recommend anything having to do with CN"u".

Got it ! Thank you so much for your clarification.
I'm not gonna lie but the April date was chosen based on my mom's definition of "a good day for testing." I am checking the deadline for SMP application and do realize that the April testing date might hurt my chance since they are on rolling basis. I just want to make sure I won't waste time anymore (I already wasted 2 years already).