Guidance with a Board Failure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saltydog15

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So...as the title states I have a Comlex Lvl 1 failure, 2 points shy. I'm currently an OMS-3 at a school that offers little to nothing in advising except telling me I'm restricted to family med now and shouldn't take any chances. Long story short, I wasn't prepared for the exam and knew it, I asked for an extension and it was denied by administration. At any rate, I retook the bloody exam and scored a 510. I did take Step 1 and passed but with a rather low score of 208.

I'm actually a good student, I'm in the upper half of my class ranking and have never failed a damn thing...ever. I'm doing well clinically, with all A's (we use letter grades). Big question is would it be risky for me to still pursue EM? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

DO w board failure seems like uphill battle. Would rotate at 3 or 4 "lower tier" programs and try to get into one of those and also have back up specialty.

Sent from my SM-G928V using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Your chances are low....but not zero.

Look, it was hard enough for me and I was an IMG with a perfect application. Good steps, rocked clinicals, exceptional LORs, applied to EVERY program in the country (took out a small loan to do it) and got....wait for it....11 invites. Out of...hell I can't even remember anymore, well over a hundred programs. (Given, many didn't take IMGs but I didn't want to risk it.) God smiled on me and I matched at my #1, but had I failed a step? I doubt very seriously I'd be posting in here right now. I'm just being honest. Sure, IMG MD and DO are different, but I think as far as competitiveness goes for EM residency, it's probably a somewhat similar playing field.

If you're going to look back and regret not trying (and I totally understand), then sure... go through the motions and try to apply, but have a strong and realistic back up plan. I would apply to IM before I applied to FM. IM residencies never fill and you have many more options available in fellowships when you're done. There's no way you wouldn't be happy doing IM + (pick your fellowship) in the long run. EM is great, but most of us could easily have found career satisfaction doing something different if the cards had been dealt differently.

If you're attracted to the EM style of medicine, then your best bet at finding something similar would be to match IM (less competitive), do good in residency and do pulm/CC fellowship. I could easily see myself as an intensivist (or anesthesia) if I hand't matched EM.

If I were you I'd go to the easiest FM residency I could find, then go learn botox and all that stuff and open a clinic.

Sent from my SM-G928V using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for all of your replies. I did not fail my COMLEX because I'm a kid who just screwed around for a few months when I should have been studying; I was in the middle of a divorce and child custody hearings....it's an isolated event.

FM is not an interest and never was, solely because it bores me to death....botox or not lol.

Thanks again.

@Groove 's advice is solid. I'd add a couple of things: Hopefully the stressors are gone so you can crush Level 2. Audition at as many of the "lower tier" places you can and get solid SLOE's. I'd even look at less competitive places that have TRI's/TY's that can feed into their EM program as a backup plan (that's what I did this year), but that will be an even greater uphill battle. Also, pay attention to the ACGME residency review committee meetings for newly accredited programs for a worst case scenario, many of them will come online in time for the scramble, or as late as April. Good Luck. Feel free to PM me if you have any more question.

Thanks for all of your replies. I did not fail my COMLEX because I'm a kid who just screwed around for a few months when I should have been studying; I was in the middle of a divorce and child custody hearings....it's an isolated event.

FM is not an interest and never was, solely because it bores me to death....botox or not lol.

Thanks again.

Thanks again.

Not saying you aren't a great person or even don't have potential to be a great clinician, however you have multiple data points that suggest you might be a boards failure risk. Just reality.

I was in the middle of a divorce and child custody hearings....it's an isolated event.

Your application/interviews need to mention that and you'd best rock step 2 prior to application time to prove it. Apply broadly. Like...everywhere. You already have two strikes- DO and a failed test/low score. The odds are against you but I agree they're not zero.

You should also apply to FP with a plan to do an EM fellowship as a back-up.

@Groove 's advice is solid. I'd add a couple of things: Hopefully the stressors are gone so you can crush Level 2. Audition at as many of the "lower tier" places you can and get solid SLOE's. I'd even look at less competitive places that have TRI's/TY's that can feed into their EM program as a backup plan (that's what I did this year), but that will be an even greater uphill battle. Also, pay attention to the ACGME residency review committee meetings for newly accredited programs for a worst case scenario, many of them will come online in time for the scramble, or as late as April. Good Luck. Feel free to PM me if you have any more question.

Don't get me wrong, I greatly appreciate the advice. As I mentioned, there is little to no advising at my school and I understand the challenges I face with a board failure. I suppose what I did not quite grasp was that there is still such negative connotation with being a DO, I realize it exists but not to the extent that it's a mark against me; I get the fail and lower step 1 being a red flag; regardless of the situation I own that.

I have no real stressors in my life now...except this but my original plan was to do as well as possible on step 2/Level 2, audition at 3-4 former AOA residencies that have our graduates, apply broadly and apply IM as a backup. I'm just trying to figure it out before 4th year comes up, cause its coming quick.