Guide for Step 1. I am confused

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Orestis

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am a 4th year Medical student. Sometime next year I would like to take the exams for Step1. In my university everyone is telling to just read the First Aid book and then subscribe to a question bank. After from research I see many people saying that except these I am gonna need some extra material from other books(e.g. Pathology). What do you guys think?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

I am a 4th year Medical student. Sometime next year I would like to take the exams for Step1. In my university everyone is telling to just read the First Aid book and then subscribe to a question bank. After from research I see many people saying that except these I am gonna need some extra material from other books(e.g. Pathology). What do you guys think?

Thanks!
The most standard method to date is UFAPS: UWorld qbank, First Aid, Pathoma, Sketchy Micro/Pharm.

If your foundation in basic sciences is good, these are all you need. People deviate from this and add other resources based on individual preferences/needs.

Examples:

1. Learning foundation: use of additional lecture-based videos (Kaplan, Boards and Beyond, Physeo, etc) or subject-specific textbooks (Goljan RR for path, BRS or costanzo for phys, etc).

2. Learning details of First Aid: use of Anki or other question banks (USMLERx, Kaplan).

It all depends on what your specific needs are based on where you're at in basic science knowledge and application.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the reply. I thing I have good foundation in basic sciences(at least compared to the rest of my classmates). The problem is that I do not know what they expect from me to know for STEP1. Do you think that I could understand where I need some extra boost while I am doing the question bank(keeping in mind that first I will go through the First Aid)?

Thanks for the reply. I thing I have good foundation in basic sciences(at least compared to the rest of my classmates). The problem is that I do not know what they expect from me to know for STEP1. Do you think that I could understand where I need some extra boost while I am doing the question bank(keeping in mind that first I will go through the First Aid)?

Why are you taking Step 1 after 4th year? I am confused.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
First Aid is a good book to tell you what you need to know, not to teach you. It seems like that's what you may need.

Pick it up and see if you can follow it. If not, then you may need to supplement with other books. Then test your knowledge with practice exams.

Yes I am a student from Europe. So my plan is to take step 1 this year because later I am going to forgot all this pharmacology.
Btw last summer I downloaded the First Aid to check it, it seemed pretty normal material. Many people here make step 1 sounds like a torture...

The questions tend to be more difficult than the material. Also, I advise you not forget your pharmacology! :)