Gun smithing on Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The thinker guy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am preparing to apply to dental school June 1st and I know that there is a spot on the app where you can talk about your manual dexterity. Should I include that I do gunsmithing as a hobby? This includes woodwork, fix and repair, and restoration. I just do not want someone to throw away my app because they think I am some gun lover that lives in the woods.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, you should definitely include it. You won't come across as a gun nut if you don't write about it that way. Anything that gets you noticed is a good thing. Admissions officers enjoy interviewing people they consider unique and interesting.

Reactions: 2 users
I'd be careful. Admissions and academia is a hyperliberal environment. Don't be naive - you're trying to enter a socially sensitive people's business here, where other people besides yourself are judgmental and opinionated on political topics. I'd 100% keep it out, and anybody who suggests otherwise on SDN isn't looking out for your best interests. It does nothing to enhance uniquely to enhance your application, and 9/10 times will appear negatively to a liberal committee.

Members don't see this ad :)
Really quick:
I enjoy working with metal. In my earliest memories, I recall my uncle's calloused hands at the dinner table. "I just sold another beaut", he would say. Im too lazy to write the rest but then talk about how your uncle explained how to use a gun. It sharpened your ability to work with your hands and create something small but precise.....etc... You love creating artwork in the form of the lost art of gunsmithing....etc...

Like this is a really random short and is more personal essay style but its super unique and interesting. Although Im far from a gun nut, its interesting when someone does something so different. I would put it in in a non-threatening gun-crazy killer way.

Reactions: 1 user
I sort of agree that schools may be oversensitive to firearms so I understand the hesitation. I for one love guns and would definitely put it on my application if I did any gunsmithing or reloading of my own. However, I would definitely extrapolate on why gunsmithing involves manual dexterity; maybe go into detail about replacing small scale things such as firing pins or hard to reach roll pins. Don't just leave the word "gunsmith" out there.

I'd be careful. Admissions and academia is a hyperliberal environment. Don't be naive - you're trying to enter a socially sensitive people's business here, where other people besides yourself are judgmental and opinionated on political topics. I'd 100% keep it out, and anybody who suggests otherwise on SDN isn't looking out for your best interests. It does nothing to enhance uniquely to enhance your application, and 9/10 times will appear negatively to a liberal committee.
First of all, dental education is not "academia" in the sense you're using, and secondly, it is not hyper-liberal. In fact, dentistry as a whole has to be one of the most politically conservative health professions.

It is doubtful that many dental admissions officers even have the political literacy to form a strong opinion on the subject. The reality is that they don't care.

Reactions: 7 users
Academia as a whole may be very liberal however I don't think dental education is quite so much so, although I am still just a predental waiting to begin dental school. I will say I listed shooting guns as an example of manual dexterity and was asked about it I didn't feel like they judged me negatively for the experience. The interviewer did want to know if I was a good shot though, lol.
Same. Listed it in my app. It was brought up in 1 of my interviews for a few seconds. It felt like it grabbed their attention in a positive way. Didn't feel judged.

Reactions: 1 users
wow guys thank you so much for all of the feedback, I will most likely include it but word it in a carful way.

Reactions: 1 user