Gunners Didn't Match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Llenroc

Bandidos Motorcycle Club
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was looking at my school's match list which just came out, and what surprised me is that some of the top people in the class didn't match. Or to put it in mathematical terms, of the people that didn't match, they were all basically gunners. That's the opposite of what you'd expect, but I guess the below average students applied for less competitive specialties and all got spots. 4 out of 4 people got Dermatology at my school, but many of those in the surgical specialties, rad onc, radiology went unmatched. Some are going in for medicine/surgery prelim years, and others are taking time off to do research now.

Very unexpected to say the least.

Members don't see this ad.

You have it backwards.

There are certain things that automatically disqualify med students from being gunners. These include, but are not limited to: (1) Failing a class, (2) low score on Step 1, (3) getting a good evaluation while on FP, and (4) failure to match into your desired specialty.

Therefore, you did not have any gunners who failed to match, because by definition, if they didn't match, they are not gunners.

They are failures, and gunnerism is the opposite of failureism.

- Dr. Tired (once and future gunner)

I was looking at my school's match list which just came out, and what surprised me is that some of the top people in the class didn't match. Or to put it in mathematical terms, of the people that didn't match, they were all basically gunners. That's the opposite of what you'd expect, but I guess the below average students applied for less competitive specialties and all got spots. 4 out of 4 people got Dermatology at my school, but many of those in the surgical specialties, rad onc, radiology went unmatched. Some are going in for medicine/surgery prelim years, and others are taking time off to do research now.

Very unexpected to say the least.

Depending on how you define gunner, that result may or may not be surprising. If, by gunner, you just mean someone who is an excellent student and gets honors in everything, then it might be surprising that they did not match. Keep in mind, though, that they were applying for pretty competitive specialties, so not matching is a distinct possibility. If, however, your definition of gunner is someone who steps all over other med students to get to the top (i.e. backstabbing, has an attitude that is not indicative of a team player), then I suspect they may have come off as being a gunner (the latter definition) at the various interviews they attended this year. If this is the case, then its karma and not altogether surprising.

You have it backwards.

There are certain things that automatically disqualify med students from being gunners. These include, but are not limited to: (1) Failing a class, (2) low score on Step 1, (3) getting a good evaluation while on FP, and (4) failure to match into your desired specialty.

Therefore, you did not have any gunners who failed to match, because by definition, if they didn't match, they are not gunners.

Crap. I've already got the trifecta going.... ;)

You have it backwards.

LMAO at #3.

You have it backwards.

iHollered....especially at #3

good thread. funny gunner points!

I'm still not exactly sure what a gunner is, but this is a funny thread!

Awesome.

You have it backwards.