Guys, suit question - buttoned or unbuttoned during interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nooblet

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 3 button suit, I never really knew whether to leave it buttoned or unbuttoned on my interviews. Well I have another one soon so I wanted to know what you guys think. Thanks!

yes i searched, the other thread was 6 years old and had no general consensus.

Members don't see this ad.

Leave it unbuttoned. It is more comfortable, and makes you look less rigid in the interview. Realistically, it probably makes no difference to the interviewer, but for your own comfort unbutton it.

it all comes down to preference. there's no hard and fast rule. i like to keep my suit unbuttoned when sitting down, and buttoned when walking around. on a 3-button suit i normally only button the middle one. one of my suits is a little tighter, so i'll just leave it unbuttoned the entire time, and it looks more relaxed i feel. whatever you preference is, no one is really going to think twice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unbuttoned. If your suit coat is buttoned, you will be perceived as an uptight premed, an impression that you do not want to foster. I was successful last year during the interview season using the unbuttoned look. Of course, you do want to make sure that your suit pants are buttoned and your fly is zipped, if you are a guy.

thanks for the responses. unbuttoned it is then!

I think the general rule for comfort is: buttoned walking around, unbuttoned sitting down.

That's what I've always done. My suit is really form-fitting, so if I were to sit down with it still buttoned it would be very rigid, uncomfortable, and probably unflattering.

Definitely naked.

If you feel you must keep the suit on, then yes, unbutton it when sitting, button it when walking around. When you're buttoned up, three buttons means the first two get buttoned, never the last one.

I know you didn't ask, but for the love of God don't wear a crazy tie. I see people on the interview trail like that and I just want to smack 'em.

I think the general rule for comfort is: buttoned walking around, unbuttoned sitting down.

That's what I've always done. My suit is really form-fitting, so if I were to sit down with it still buttoned it would be very rigid, uncomfortable, and probably unflattering.

I did this for a few interviews... just left it unbuttoned the whole time for a few others. Honestly, it didn't make a difference and I really doubt anyone noticed.

Just go with what is most comfortable.

button your top two on a three button suit.. and unbutton it when you sit down.

button your top two on a three button suit.. and unbutton it when you sit down.

I didn't see it mentioned before this, but definitely only button your top button. Unbutton it when you sit down or you'll look as stiff as a corpse.

With the amount of moving around I've experienced in interviews (talk to or listen to someone, get up, move rooms, eat lunch, get up, move rooms, etc.) I just leave mine unbuttoned all the time.

I didn't see it mentioned before this, but definitely only button your top button. Unbutton it when you sit down or you'll look as stiff as a corpse.

With the amount of moving around I've experienced in interviews (talk to or listen to someone, get up, move rooms, eat lunch, get up, move rooms, etc.) I just leave mine unbuttoned all the time.
Um if you have three buttons, the convention goes the top two are buttoned. If you only have two buttons, then just the top one should be buttoned.

You're right though when you say you should unbutton them all when sitting down. I can't imagine anyone would look good keeping their jacket buttoned while interviewing.

As for me, I had my suit buttoned in the morning and then left it unbuttoned when the afternoon weather got warm (I only interviewed in the Fall).

The only conflict I had was whether to take off my jacket during the student tour since it was so hot. Most of the girls had taken off their jackets by that point, and I was the only guy in my group so I didn't know what I should do. I decided just to tough it out and to take it off at the end. After reading these comments, I probably just seemed like an uptight pre-med, but ehh. Whatever.

The only conflict I had was whether to take off my jacket during the student tour since it was so hot. Most of the girls had taken off their jackets by that point, and I was the only guy in my group so I didn't know what I should do. I decided just to tough it out and to take it off at the end. After reading these comments, I probably just seemed like an uptight pre-med, but ehh. Whatever.

At my Columbia interview, I just hopped into the closet right after my interview and changed into a nice sweater and a pair of sevens for the student tour. Maybe I was too relaxed? lol

Um if you have three buttons, the convention goes the top two are buttoned. If you only have two buttons, then just the top one should be buttoned.

actually, the convention for buttons on a three button suit is:
middle - ALWAYS
top - sometimes
bottom - never

you can button the top two or button just the middle. i prefer just the middle, but on some body types, buttoning the top and middle might look better. you definitely don't HAVE to button both, though, but the middle should always be buttoned if you button any.

and, as mentioned by several others, you should button when standing/walking, and unbutton to sit down.

Members don't see this ad :)
the real question is... shirt, buttoned or unbuttoned during interview?

3565.jpg

Last edited:
Meh.

When I read your post, it sounded weird, so I found the same source you did but decided that http://www.matnewton.com/how-to-button-your-suit/ is definitely not an authority on buttoning suits.

Not only do I prefer always buttoning the top button while leaving the middle button to preference, (obviously, NEVER the bottom button) but I like http://www.askmen.com/fashion/fashiontip_200/211_fashion_advice.html as a source much better. Googling "GQ when you should button your suit" turned up nothing.

PS - the only thing that can't be argued is that convention recommends buttoning when you stand and unbuttoning when you sit.

Remember that we're in America. People wear button downs with suits - which suit button you button is another rule that we don't follow.

In higher pace situations, I just button the top button to prevent 'flapping in the wind' as I walk through hallways. If I was going to something like a cocktail party, then I'd think about properly buttoning my jacket. I do agree the middle button is supposed to be buttoned first, but it's really not done here very often in my experience.

Last edited:
Meh.

When I read your post, it sounded weird, so I found the same source you did but decided that http://www.matnewton.com/how-to-button-your-suit/ is definitely not an authority on buttoning suits.

Not only do I prefer always buttoning the top button while leaving the middle button to preference, (obviously, NEVER the bottom button) but I like http://www.askmen.com/fashion/fashiontip_200/211_fashion_advice.html as a source much better. Googling "GQ when you should button your suit" turned up nothing.

PS - the only thing that can't be argued is that convention recommends buttoning when you stand and unbuttoning when you sit.

Actually, jbrice is correct. Always middle, top if you prefer, never bottom.

Also, if a piece of knowledge is correct, it will be found on multiple sources, from disreputable to reputable. Just FYI.

Last edited:
actually, the convention for buttons on a three button suit is:
middle - ALWAYS
top - sometimes
bottom - never

you can button the top two or button just the middle. i prefer just the middle, but on some body types, buttoning the top and middle might look better. you definitely don't HAVE to button both, though, but the middle should always be buttoned if you button any.

and, as mentioned by several others, you should button when standing/walking, and unbutton to sit down.
While I hate to disagree with myself, the wiki does shine some light on when fashion shifted from always buttoning the top button of a three-button suit to always buttoning the middle button:

"Today, single-breasted suits are buttoned while standing.[citation needed] This is because the current trend is for jackets which are loose. Prior to 1935 and again during the 1970s, men preferred fitted jackets which could be worn either buttoned or unbuttoned whether one was standing or not.[citation needed] In a three-button suit, all but the bottom button can be done up. Today, however, if only one button is done up, it is the middle one, if two it is the middle and top ones. This is because in general jackets today are made to be low-waisted. Prior to 1935, men preferred high-waisted coats and therefore the fashion was to button only the topmost button (if any was to be buttoned at all). In two button suits it is appropriate to button the top button, but never the bottom button only. If one is wearing a waistcoat, there is no need to button the jacket. The general rule in the Western World for the buttons (listed from top to bottom) is 'Sometimes, Always, Never.'"

i don't know, i was just wondering...

although christian is always in a suit, and he generally leaves it open. but then again, he eschews the whole tie business, so i guess maybe he isn't the model physician-model.
Oh pshh... I thought Nip/Tuck provided some sort of end-all argument in favor of the top/middle button.

no, it just provides an end-all argument in favor of the lamborghini as the preferred automobile for physicians.
I'm an Aston fan, myself, but mm... Reventon...

http://www.novaksblog.com/pictures/24_9_07%20new%20lamborghini%20reventon/lamborghini%20reventon%20front.jpg

On a 3 button suit, I button the middle button. On a 2 button suit, I button the top one.
Regardless, I agree with the guys above that I like to button 1 button when I'm walking around, but unbutton it when I have to sit down.

pants saggin' and cap leanin'

On a 3 button suit, I button the middle button. On a 2 button suit, I button the top one.
Regardless, I agree with the guys above that I like to button 1 button when I'm walking around, but unbutton it when I have to sit down.

According to DETAILS "Men's Style Manual":

"The number of buttons on a suit has more to do with preference than fit. On a three-button suit, the only button that gets used is the waist, or middle, button. You may be tempted to button the top button in rakish way, but resist this urge. When there are two buttons, fasten only the top one. An elegant alternative is the single-button suit, which offers a sharp, formal look"

And to address the sitting-standing question, right as one of my interviewers walked into the room he said, "Please, unbutton your jacket, it's way too hot in here." I look down and notice my shirt completely soaked in sweat (this was my third interview of the day, AND it was probably close to 80 degrees in this room...). "No -- I'm quite fine, thank you"

LOL, button all three and your posture will be AWESOME! No, in all seriousness I have seen guys do this well I haven't been in their interviews but I have seen guys button all three buttons. DOHHHH, that is a super NO NO.

The answer to the question is this.

First two buttons when walking and after first getting up out of your chair. Like clockwork orange you get up and button, make them see you do it, i.e. like you have manners and have been raised well. As you sit you first unbutton, i.e. like you have been raised well and you are about to get down to business, lets go! Rinse, repeat and hang dry only. :thumbup:

at 2 of my interviews, the interviewers pretty much told me to take my jacket off. Mind you, they were dressed real casual and both were at state schools in urban areas. being the cautious pre-med nerd that i am, i weighed my options and determined that by removing my coat I could demonstrate that i was not a typical pretentious, uptight, calculated, neurotic pre-med, which i probably am (jk).

Getting Back to the Buttons.... I know top 2 buttoned... but I'm more concerned with the sequence of events. which one do you button first? Like as you get up from your chair. Do you start at the top and work your way down or take care of the middle one first? These things are important!

at 2 of my interviews, the interviewers pretty much told me to take my jacket off. Mind you, they were dressed real casual and both were at state schools in urban areas. being the cautious pre-med nerd that i am, i weighed my options and determined that by removing my coat I could demonstrate that i was not a typical pretentious, uptight, calculated, neurotic pre-med, which i probably am (jk).

Getting Back to the Buttons.... I know top 2 buttoned... but I'm more concerned with the sequence of events. which one do you button first? Like as you get up from your chair. Do you start at the top and work your way down or take care of the middle one first? These things are important!

LOL, ok you want to get down like that or are you being silly? Ok, always button the top one first. Work your way down. Do it with one hand that shows dexterity in your hands and a smoothness like no other. Make sure when you button the second one at the bottom you go back to the top and do a sliding check going from the top to bottom. If you're wearing a hat make sure you check the brim! This is key to being pimp. swipe your brim like whoa. You should be fine. Cheers. LOL

sweet advice. i'll go with the one hand approach in the future

I like this one: And no, you wont find it in any manufacturer's list. Its custom built to my dreams....That is, when I get rich

And when I get out of the car, I will button up the middle and top button, and when I get back in the car, I will unbutton the top and middle buttons

WonderCar.JPG

Cheers
Piyush

I'm an Aston fan, myself, but mm... Reventon...

lamborghini%20reventon%20front.jpg

I went with whichever button was easier to reach when I stood up. Sometimes I reached the middle one first, sometimes I reached the top one first.

I wanted to prove that I'm flexible and open to change but that I'm comfortable with making touch decisions and sticking to the them. I too went with the one hand approach, lest my seemingly random buttoning appear like poor coordination while talking and shaking hands.

it all comes down to preference. there's no hard and fast rule. i like to keep my suit unbuttoned when sitting down, and buttoned when walking around. on a 3-button suit i normally only button the middle one. one of my suits is a little tighter, so i'll just leave it unbuttoned the entire time, and it looks more relaxed i feel. whatever you preference is, no one is really going to think twice.

I was always taught that this was the rule as well... if you see someone with their suit buttoned while they are sitting down, look at how odd it looks, it really is rather amusing.

For goodness sake, keep your jacket on during the interview. Not that anyone here would do otherwise, but I've seen it done and it's not pretty.

hahahaha, thats really tacky.... did they had it to the interviewer to hang it up for them too?! I hope they at least tipped hih/her then...

For goodness sake, keep your jacket on during the interview. Not that anyone here would do otherwise, but I've seen it done and it's not pretty.

My brother does this at every interview, and has yet to be turned down by anyone. He says it helps him appear comfortable with the interviewer...

According to DETAILS "Men's Style Manual":

"The number of buttons on a suit has more to do with preference than fit. On a three-button suit, the only button that gets used is the waist, or middle, button. You may be tempted to button the top button in rakish way, but resist this urge. When there are two buttons, fasten only the top one. An elegant alternative is the single-button suit, which offers a sharp, formal look"

Wait, I am sorry I DISAGREE. Look in the mirror for crying out loud button only the bottom and or the waste! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The whole reason why you don't button the bottom is beause it makes you look like a tight stiff. Sorry, but I don't know what metrosexual wrote that article but I wish they would resist the urge to write such trash.

lol, quit funny though.

Definitely only middle button and maybe top if you are feeling adventurous. But honestly I took my coat off before my interview. I produce a lot of body heat so I thought I'd be more comfortable with it off. NO one noticed at all. In an interview, your words, interaction, eye contact, and charisma are what the interviewer should notice... not which button or if any button.

That being said if I were at a cocktail party or something fancy I'd only button the middle button.

Definitely only middle button and maybe top if you are feeling adventurous. But honestly I took my coat off before my interview. I produce a lot of body heat so I thought I'd be more comfortable with it off. NO one noticed at all. In an interview, your words, interaction, eye contact, and charisma are what the interviewer should notice... not which button or if any button.

That being said if I were at a cocktail party or something fancy I'd only button the middle button.

I am sorry but buttoning only the middle on a three button suit looks sloppy, like you forgot to button the top. no go

I do the same thing. I wore a 3 button, and buttoned the top two. Buttoned when walking around but when I sat down, unbutton it. Leaving it done up will just make you feel more constricted and stuffy during the interview and god knows that you need to feel as relaxed as possible.

I noticed the one time someone took his suit jacket off and hung it on the back of the chair before sitting down for our interview. I didn't think well of the applicant, who BTW, didn't say he was overheated or anything of that sort. I thought that it showed a casualness that was out of place given the circumstances.

Schools vary, room temperatures vary, the formalness or casualness of the interivewer and the furnishing in the room are going to tip you off as to whether this is the place where you'll be encouraged to be comfy or if it is better to be a bit more formal. Ronald Reagan never took off his suit jacket in the Oval Office -- he had that much respect for the place.

Did you all ever wonder why there are all these rules regarding which buttons to button on a suit? It is not some savvy style created by those that inherently know what looks good. This one is actually quite ******ed:

Leaving the bottom button unbuttoned was started by King Edward VII (1841-1910) who was too fat to get all of his buttons buttoned and had to leave that bottom button unbuttoned. Because he was the king, it of course became the fashion to leave it unbuttoned and that has held true for over a hundred years.

I think it may look appropriate for a 3-button suit to have the bottom button unbuttoned to avoid looking too stuffy, but a 2-button suit on a windy day sometimes requires both buttons to be buttoned in order to keep the suit from flapping around. But someone else gave the best advice of all... just look at yourself in a mirror and see what looks best.

Maybe it was fashion in King Edward's time, but now it's style. Suit jackets are explicitly designed for the bottom button to never be buttoned.

If it's cold and windy, you would wear an additional layer, like a peacoat, so flapping isn't an issue.

A side question on suits.. are minimal pinstripes a definite no no? I didn't realize that pinstripes aren't too conservative when I bought my one and only suit.

When you sit, your suit is unbuttoned. When you stand, your suit is buttoned. Top button on 2-button suits, middle button on 3-button suits and, if you're tall, the top button is doable too. The lower button is never buttoned.

Navy, charcoal, conservative colors. Minimal pinstripes are fine. Also, please learn to tie a tie. I have yet to see any of the million interviewees that tried successfully pull off the hollywood, sloppy four-in-hand look. That particular knot looks great when matched with the correct collar and tied well, but this is usually not the case. While it does depend on the spread of your collar, it's much easier to look professional with a symmetric knot like a square/cross knot.

It's funny, there's a distinct dichotomy among interviewees every week regarding attire. The older, non-trads are almost always perfectly dressed and comfortable, while the younger folk always have a puzzled look on their faces like they're missing something.