Guys, suit question - buttoned or unbuttoned during interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've never heard a negative comment about pinstripes. It seems to be a bit of relief in a sea of black suits.

LizzyM, how do you feel about a non blue/black suit?

Just curious.

I always button when standing/walking and unbutton when sitting. I also always keep my suit jacket on unless I can literally not stand the heat. I also follow the rule always, sometimes, never. I have two, three, and four button suits and apply it from top to bottom.

Members don't see this ad.

LizzyM, how do you feel about a non blue/black suit?

:love:

Almost any shade of gray or gray with a subtle pattern is great. I saw an African American man being interviewed on a TV panel last night and he was wearing a tobacco brown suit and it looked fabulous with his coloring. Some people (redheads in particular) can look terrific in olive green.

Last edited:
I did not know until I read this thread that you are not supposed to button all the buttons.

Members don't see this ad :)
:love:

Almost any shade of gray or gray with a subtle pattern is great. I saw an African American man being interviewed on a TV panel last night and he was wearing a tobacco brown suit and it looked fabulous with his coloring. Some people (redheads in particular) can look terrific in olive green.

One adcom member said he'd admit on the spot any man who wears a red plaid sports jacket to an interview as it shows .... I don't know what it shows but whatever it is, this guy thinks its a good idea, YMMV! :D

What about espresso (on a white man)?

You can look professional in a suit without looking like you're going to a funeral or you were molded out of pre-med clay. Why should there be a big deal if someone is more comfortable not looking like everyone else?

What about espresso (on a white man)?

You can look professional in a suit without looking like you're going to a funeral or you were molded out of pre-med clay. Why should there be a big deal if someone is more comfortable not looking like everyone else?

I don't have a problem with any color; espresso might look great on you! It is true that the "tour" often looks like a funeral procession and those of us who see applicants week after week beg for some relief in the form of suits that are "anything but black".

First of all, it doesn't matter. But, unbuttoned is more comfortable and looks more relaxed. I usually unbutton when sitting down, but button when walking around.

Can you wear a bow tie? (Serious question)

I wear pinstripes to my interviews sometimes, and it's been fine.*

*caveat: I haven't been accepted yet:laugh:

for an entry level or middle management job interview, pinstripes are a def. no no. you have to know your place. unless you're being recruited to be the next ceo/etc, leave the french cuffs, monograms, bespoke suits at home.

with regards to medical school, i doubt many interviewers even notice most lil things. i had an interview for a top 10 school where the interviewer stood up to point to and talk about a map on his wall, his fly was open for like an entire 5 minutes, then he sat back down.

at mount sinai, i had a guy wearing a bow tie and einstein looking hair. i am not the best judge of character, but from my understanding, these weren't people who were secretly trying to assess fashion rule adherence.

for an entry level or middle management job interview, pinstripes are a def. no no. you have to know your place. unless you're being recruited to be the next ceo/etc, leave the french cuffs, monograms, bespoke suits at home.

with regards to medical school, i doubt many interviewers even notice most lil things. i had an interview for a top 10 school where the interviewer stood up to point to and talk about a map on his wall, his fly was open for like an entire 5 minutes, then he sat back down.

at mount sinai, i had a guy wearing a bow tie and einstein looking hair. i am not the best judge of character, but from my understanding, these weren't people who were secretly trying to assess fashion rule adherence.

You are so right. When you take a look at how the interviewers dress, any worries you have about the cut & color of your suit & how many buttons you've done or undone should be the least of your worries. The fashion sense of 9/10th of the medical school faculty could fit in a 50 ml beaker.

Usually you should have your suit buttoned as long as you are standing, if you are sitting you should unbotton. Also while standing or walking only button the top button if it is a two or three button suit.

It's funny, there's a distinct dichotomy among interviewees every week regarding attire. The older, non-trads are almost always perfectly dressed and comfortable, while the younger folk always have a puzzled look on their faces like they're missing something.

:thumbup:

We'll be giving lessons later. :)

if u tune into the presidential debate right now,barack obama has his suit, buttoned, sitting down.

ill take his cue to be more relevant than any premed's (even tho med students clearly tend to have far better fashion sense than politicians and lawyers and senior executives)

buttoned when you stand up and move around, unbuttoned when you sit down.