Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

GW rejection

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Josh1105, Dec 2, 2005.

1. Josh1105

Josh1105 Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Anyone else get rejected from GW pre-interview with high stats?
    Has anyone heard of them rejecting an applicant outright - not even offering an interview - if they didn't think it was likely that the applicantwould attend?

I took the August MCAT and this is my first rejection, with my first interview coming up Monday, so I just wanted to get some feedback..

Thanks.
    -Josh

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Vizsla

Vizsla in a lucid interval
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Josh,
    I think GWU definitely "rejects/puts on hold" those applicants they believe are using them as a safety (mainly people with high numbers). In the beginning of the app season they put several people on hold until the spring and in doing so they ensure that those who aren't interested (or those already accepted to schools higher on their list) will have withdrawn so any spring interview invites are going to those who are genuinely want to go there. I don't know for sure why you were rejected, but it could very well have been because your numbers were high enough to make them think that GWU wasn't one of your top choices. Also factor in that they get about 10 thousand applications. Good luck on your upcoming interview.

4. yellowpersuazio

yellowpersuazio Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    You can't expect to get interviews for every school that you apply to, even with high numbers. To one school, you may be an outstanding applicant, but to another, you could be quite mediocre. There's no rhyme or reason to it.

5. aartir

aartir Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    When did you hear? I e-mailed them and they said that "my application is complete and I should be receiving something by mail soon."

But does that mean I'm rejected also?

6. Josh1105

Josh1105 Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    came in today's mail

7. aartir

aartir Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    hmmm...that can't be good news for me. My stats are above their "mean" so I totally expected an interview. Too bad my mail doesn't come until 6pm....

8. godawgs39

godawgs39 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    After being complete for nearly 3 months, I finally received a status update from GW today via e-mail (~2:30 CST). I've been put on hold, but at least they let me know that I wouldn't be hearing from them for a very long time:

"At this time, your application file is complete, has been reviewed and is currently on hold. Your desire to become a physician, your understanding of the challenges, and your perseverance is commendable. Please understand it will be some time before you hear from us again and accept our sincere apologies for the unpleasant wait. The group you are in will be reviewed again. Should the committee offer you an interview, you will be contacted immediately. We truly appreciate your patience."

Not sure how many people get interviewed from this pile of applicants, but I don't have great stats (30Q [11,8,11], 3.5), so I'm not too optimistic. Good luck to everyone else that has gotten that e-mail or is still waiting for one.

9. madonna

madonna Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i got same email and our stats are identical. good luck

10. the negative 1

the negative 1 Bovie to "war crimes" please
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I got GW's notice of rejection today. It's rather strange though, since I have significantly boosted my credentials since last year (masters degree, extensive research, publications), yet I didn't get a rejection letter from them until July.

I recall that GW strung a lot of people along for months last year, like myself, so perhaps they've gotten their act together.

11. sanford_w/o_son

sanford_w/o_son locl jnky-gota thred man?
    5+ Year Member

this is an interesting idea. is this a theory, or have you seen this pattern in several+ cases at GWU?

12. Dixie06

Dixie06 Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    On the website, it says that GW sends interview invites via snail mail, so this is not indicative of a rejection.

13. bubbleyum

bubbleyum Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

great. i guess i'll be coming home to another rejection today/saturday or monday.
    everytime there are reports of a wave of rejections on sdn, i get stuck in it.

grrrrrrreeeeeaaaattt. just great.

14. Hmmm. I am an August MCATer and got an interview invite a week ago in the mail.

The MSAR book says "the inital overall evaluation is based on data contained in the AMCAS and supplementall appication. This evaluation screens applicants on the basis of academic performance; MCAT scores; extracurricular, health-related, research, and work experiences; and evidence of non-scholastic accomplishments. The next phase of the selection procedure is based on a careful examination of personal comments and letters of recommendation."

Best wishes to all.

Angel

15. Scalpellum

Scalpellum SDN Donor
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I also received this e-mail today. I was put in the "Hold" category. My states are ok (30M, 3.85 overall, and 3.96 BCPM). Does anyone know how many in this "Hold" category will get an interview?

16. justskipee

justskipee Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I got the same on hold e-mail on 9/16/05. Atleast they told us something, which is better than most other schools.

17. USArmyDoc

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I just received the same email that placed me on hold. I was surprised because my MCAT is close to 6 points lower than their average MCAT. What should I do to make it off the list? I know they are sending out rejections so they obviously could of rejected me straight out. Thanks guys

18. aartir

aartir Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    yeaaaaaaaah....I really am not understanding the medical school process....I have a 32 on the MCAT, 3.7 BCPM, and volunteered in a Tribal hospital in India for four months and have ALREADY been rejected post-secondary from BU and GWU...both of which have "mean" scores lower than what I have. If somebody could explain this to me, that would be great.....

19. justskipee

justskipee Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

this is my idea:
    something in your application must resonate with the evaluator. They are also looking for not only research, but actually doing your own thesis, not only shadowing, but being a nurses assistant.

20. TheMightyAngus

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Anything in your application really make you stand out? Medical volunteer work abroad is pretty common.

21. aartir

aartir Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Well, I was practically a doctor. I delivered babies, inserted IVs, drew blood and did skin sutures....plus I taught the second graders English. Not really sure what ELSE I could have done to impress them....

22. justskipee

justskipee Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

wow, i'm impressed. Just look at the rejections and say "You're missing out." You'll get in somewhere.

23. yellowpersuazio

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I don't understand why some of you feel so entitled to getting an interview. The applicant pool has been getting more and more competitive, thus raising the averages to all schools. There are alot more factors to matriculating, including EC's, essays, etc. Going overseas to help out does not get you an automatic humanitarian award, let alone an interview. Maybe you did not have long-term volunteer activitities? Maybe your personal statement did not wow them? There are probably many reasons that could be valid.

Sometimes I feel like the application process is a good way of knocking some sense into those who think they are so great.

24. TheMightyAngus

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Each school is looking for something different in their applicants. I have similar stats to you, was rejected by BU, GW, Gtown, but have had interviews at Pritzker, Penn, Case, CCLCM, etc. Keep your head up.

25. aartir

aartir Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    wow..that was unnecessarily harsh. It's just frustrating when you feel like you've done everything in your power to get in to med school, and a school that seemed like it would have been a decent fit just randomly rejects you. Instead of criticizing applicants, maybe you could be a bit more sympathetic to people's disappointment and confusion about the system.

26. aartir

aartir Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thank you. That actually does make me feel a lot better. Good luck!!

27. yellowpersuazio

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I feel your pain, I really do. I'm a reapplicant, but I also acknowledge my weaknesses when it comes to matriculating. I am grateful for every good news that comes my way, but I never expect anything. I find that when premeds fail at something, it's always somebody else's fault. "Oh...I don't know what's wrong with the admissions committee!" or "This application process is all about luck!" Sometimes, all you need is humble pie.

28. drmota

drmota 2K Member
    5+ Year Member

i got put on hold today and i probably have lower stats then people that got rejected. who knows what the hell they're looking for. just keep on trucking.
    -mota

29. aartir

aartir Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Well, it's not like I got a rejection letter from Harvard and was like, "I can't believe they didn't take me."

GWU was one of my safety/core schools, so I was surprised that I didn't at least get put on hold. Clearly, there was something about my application that did not "wow" them. I am just trying to figure out what it is. And having somebody tell me that I'm being arrogant by trying to understand what happened honestly doesn't help.

30. Pontifex Maximus

Pontifex Maximus Rads-a-palooza
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hold today too. Stats are in my MDApps. *sigh*

31. Peter Griffen

Peter Griffen Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I am curious how many people get in off of this hold list.

32. yellowpersuazio

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Is there such a thing as a "safety school" when it comes to medicine? Probably, but not for the majority of us. I just find it funny when people start yapping about how so-and-so school rejected them, even though they're so much better than the people they accepted last year. You seemed frustrated with their decision to reject you, but instead of saying "yeah, I could revise my application a little for next year," you chose the "I just don't understand this whole process, because obviously I'm a stellar applicant!" If that's not arrogance, I don't know what is.

p.s. Even though you weren't invited for an interview, you could probably call them or email them and ask them what you could do to strengthen your chances next time.

33. gdbaby

gdbaby Prettier than before
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm on hold too with probably some of the lowest stats on this thread. We must have been "heads" when they flipped the coin. Mota, what should we wear for our re-review?

34. bkflaneur

bkflaneur Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I don't think there's a lot of rhyme or reason to the process. I mean, there are the obvious things you can do to help your application. Good grades, mcat, EC experiences clearly matter. But there are just so many applicants, that the whole process becomes a bit of a crap shoot. They might have 50 qualified candidates for 1 interview slot, and they're going to take the 1 person whose application resonates and catches their eye for whatever reason.

We put so much work (and money and time) into the application process that it's very hard not to take it personally. But I think it helps to keep in mind that there is just a lot of random chance involved. I also think that there's no such thing as a safety school. Some schools might have lower stats, but most schools are trying to create a class that fits their school. If your stats are way above average or if you're really not very interested in a school, I think that comes through one way or another.

Sorry about bad news from GW (I was put on hold today). But get off SDN, go do something fun, and wait for the next one.

35. drmota

drmota 2K Member
    5+ Year Member

huh?

this ones for you gdbaby:

[​IMG]

-mota

36. gdbaby

gdbaby Prettier than before
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
  37. TheMightyAngus

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Ha! White conservatives embrace ebonics. Love it.

38. chaeymaey

chaeymaey 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    That's too funny!

39. Kimka83

Kimka83 SDN Donor
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I was placed on hold today as well.

40. jon0013

jon0013 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

add me to the rejected list... :mad:

41. Joseph

Joseph Member
    5+ Year Member

I got the hold email today from GW. I'm in the 30Q hold pile. After reading the hold email, I can't stop myself from imagining huge stacks of files, piled up everywhere in GW's office. Someone in GW's office finally got tired of having to move stacks of files everytime they had to answer the phone, so they put us all on hold and shipped our files out to a storage facility! I know, I'm trippin' ... it's been a long week. :rolleyes:

42. aartir

aartir Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm not really sure what your issue is, but you're going to make one helluva doctor. [to the patient] "ummm..yeah, clearly it's all your fault."

What you're telling me is that I am not justified to feel confused or upset about receiving a rejection? I don't tell you how to handle your emotions, so I would appreciate it if you didn't assume to tell me how to deal with mine.

Furthermore, arrogant is the farthest from what I am. I have worked hard and put in a lot of time and effort (not saying that other people haven't) and I am 100% allowed to be upset or angry or whatever I want.

I never once said, as you have assumed, that I am a "stellar" candidate, or "how dare they"...I said that I don't understand what happened. That was meant to read, "what did I do?".

43. jebus

jebus Membership Revoked
    Removed 5+ Year Member

Hold on, slugger. Rather than complaining (and yes, you're entitled to complain!) wait for a decision from GWU. Your whole contribution to this thread is predicated on speculation. You haven't been rejected yet. Go eat at a nice dinner and get away from all this for an evening.

44. Ms. Lippy

Ms. Lippy Makin sure kids play nice
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Trying to figure out what pile I'm in. Can some of you post when your applications were complete.

Thanxs

45. justskipee

justskipee Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I happen to like your MCAT score. 28 is working out for me.

46. yellowpersuazio

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm just tired of hearing people bitch and moan about how they have such amazing stats but one school on their list just happened to reject them, and this was the school on the bottom of their list anyhow. Instead of complaining to a forum trying to find people to hold your hand, I think you should contact the admissions office if you're so upset. You obviously felt like you deserved an interview with your 3.7 and 32 MCAT, and volunteering overseas pretending to be a doctor while teaching kids English (yes, people who feel like they deserved an interview usually spew out their stats and everything else they've done to justify themselves instead of looking at weak points in their application). Taking your words, "what ELSE could you have done to impress them" because obviously, you're the world's best applicant.

Determining how I will treat my patients from what I write on here is simply moronic. I'm just tired of whiny spoiled children who feel like they are better than everyone else.

47. theunderdog

theunderdog Medical Student (Slave)
    7+ Year Member

i just got put ON HOLD also.

if i remember correctly, i believe NO ONE has gotten rejected yet.

the first OP, i believe, was ON HOLD and not rejected. he just thinks he got rejected.

please correct me if i am wrong.

48. tacrum43

tacrum43 Behold the mighty echidna
    7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    Some people have been rejected already. I thought they put everybody on hold too that they didn't interview, but apparently not.

49. Just got the "on hold e-mail" today too... For all you stats-crazy peeps: 3.79, 31O.

Also, I'm thinking maybe the people who were rejected and are confused about it now... maybe you didn't express a strong enough interest in GWU on your secondary?

50. N1DERL&

N1DERL& HP4!!!!
    7+ Year Member

But wasn't that section of the application only 8 lines long?

Did I miss an essay or something? :confused:

51. chaeymaey

chaeymaey 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    GWU, like all other schools, is looking for students who will be a good fit for the school. It's very possible that your app indicated something that showed you might not fit in at their school. That doesn't mean that they don't think that you'll be a qualified doctor, just that they don't think that they have the right environment for you. I've been on hold status since October, which I take to mean that they see something they like in my application, but there are people that have a little bit of an edge over me and they have to get to them first. That edge could be numbers, but it could also be geographic location, current employment or attendance at an affiliated undergrad/hospital, alumni connections, or any number of other factors.